Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2023, 12:21 PM
JWK JWK started this thread

54 posts, read 45,877 times

Advertisements

We have our acreage that we got a few years ago. Everyone knows what happened, so I won't get into that. The situation is that everyone is still really busy and I'm finding it almost impossible to try to line up various contractors to get things done. Some won't even return my calls. It's OK, I understand. I'm looking at other options.

My plan basically was to hire out the concrete slab, framing, roofing, and finish the house myself. I'm considering putting up a post frame building and doing the same thing. However, I'm finding it very difficult to find who actually does the local work. Most sites on the internet want me to give out too much personal info before I can even find out where or who they are. I stopped after going through one of these only to find they don't cover this area. But now they have my email. So enough of that.

I figured people here will know who the real post frame builders are in the area. I'm about an hour's drive NW of Bangor.

Thanks for any info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2023, 02:10 PM

973 posts, read 2,380,946 times
Parker Lumber in Bradford saw quite a bit of timber for post and beam buildings. They might be able to tell you contractors in your area that they sell to. I believe Parker Lumber can put together a complete package for a post and beam structure.
https://www.parkerlumberco.com/

Old 11-08-2023, 09:04 AM

37,453 posts, read 61,366,570 times
In my observations, I see a lot of post & beam pole barns, most of them are DIY.

We began planning our retirement home, and designing the floor plan ten years before we arrived in Maine. We made the decision to go with a steel building long before we got here. We have a 60' by 40' rectangular warehouse-looking structure, with 12' eaves and a 14' peak. At the time, it was a quarter of the price for a woodstick building.

Architecturally this is called a Barndominium. The kit we purchased was originally marketed as an airplane hangar.

You are welcome to come by for a visit sometime, I will gladly give you a tour.

The kit we received had every hole pre-drilled, and all bolts, nuts, and washers were included. It was fairly easy for a one-man crew to assemble. I had to hire a crane operator to assist me one day, to lift girders in place as I bolted them down.

Old 11-13-2023, 04:24 PM

12,390 posts, read 9,493,040 times
You might try looking for dairy farms and horse boarding stables in the Bangor area and if they have recently built buildings that you like the look of, ask the proprietors who built them. I see there are a number of them around Bangor.

https://www.stonewallstables.net/index.html
http://www.mtmistfarms.com/indoor-arena.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
View detailed profiles of: