Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2008, 01:55 PM

2,712 posts, read 5,625,882 times

Advertisements

I have no idea where this was filmed, but it is so neat I have to share... could as easily be some of those Route 9 moose in someone' yard, playing in the sprinkler!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2008, 02:00 PM

7,727 posts, read 12,327,755 times
Loved it! Thanks!

Old 07-27-2008, 03:45 PM

37,239 posts, read 60,963,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starwalker View Post
I have no idea where this was filmed, but it is so neat I have to share... could as easily be some of those Route 9 moose in someone' yard, playing in the sprinkler!

Wow!

That is just Moosearific!

Old 07-27-2008, 04:42 PM

1,816 posts, read 3,374,105 times
Must tell moose story.

I visited my brother in Madison a few years ago. He had to work on Saturday night so he said it was ok for his (then) girlfriend and her sister and husband to take me for an evening ride to spot wildlife, especially moose. There may have been some drinking involved, I can't remember now.

After driving around for awhile, I joked with them and said that there probably aren't any moose awake right now so don't worry about it. Well this really got this guy determined now and we ended up more north somewhere on a dirt road going about 60+ mph. Probably near where Ranger lives.

Finally, we came upon a moose up on the left side of the road so he accelerated his pickup truck right up next to this now galloping moose going probably 20 mph each where he now rolled down his window, told me to take the steering wheel so he could lean out more and proceeded to hit the moose on his backside with his bare hand a few times. His wife in the back seat said "Try to get on it honey". The moose just ran along for awhile longer before it just darted off into the woods like the trees were water.

I'm sitting there scared to death and the two ladies in the back seat were laughing out loud the whole time. Seems they did this same thing to my brother months earlier and he just forgot to tell me.

I remember posting this on another site right after this happened and there were several people totally disgusted by this and said that he should be arrested and that it was also illegal.

All I know is that it was quite interesting and entertaining in a "this is what we do for entertainment in Madison, Maine on a Saturday nite" kind of way.

Anyways, I was not in control that night and was in the hands of three Mainers who had a city boy in their front seat who said he wanted to go find a moose. I think they probably still chuckle about me and my brothers reactions.

Old 07-27-2008, 06:17 PM

37,239 posts, read 60,963,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMoore007 View Post
Must tell moose story.
Having grown up in the Central Valley of California, your story of moose slapping sounds like more fun than cow titting.

Old 07-27-2008, 07:10 PM

1,698 posts, read 3,320,588 times
I'm sure it's wonderful, but my dial up was not helping.

I'm not sure I'd enjoy moose slapping. I was a teen and heading home and a moose burst out of the woods and started to chase my car. I just don't believe it. Now I always expect them to charge when I see them.

Old 07-27-2008, 07:33 PM

1,816 posts, read 3,374,105 times
Moose slapping...so there's even a name for it. I was aware the whole time about the 'finding a moose' part but not the the 'slapping a moose' part.

And cow tipping seems so much more gentle now.

Old 07-27-2008, 08:54 PM

2,059 posts, read 4,181,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMoore007 View Post
Moose slapping...so there's even a name for it. I was aware the whole time about the 'finding a moose' part but not the the 'slapping a moose' part.

And cow tipping seems so much more gentle now.
cow tipping is fun out drinkin with you friends real country fun till you find one that isnt as amused by it as you are and decides to chace you over a rock wall through the woods and up a tree.ya then see how much fun it is have you ever tryed to run drunk while your friends are yelling run its pi*** off run its gona kill you laffing and not helping.

Old 07-28-2008, 05:20 AM

1,698 posts, read 3,320,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RANGER.101ST View Post
cow tipping is fun out drinkin with you friends real country fun till you find one that isnt as amused by it as you are and decides to chace you over a rock wall through the woods and up a tree.ya then see how much fun it is have you ever tryed to run drunk while your friends are yelling run its pi*** off run its gona kill you laffing and not helping.
I heard that cow tipping~ can kill cows.

I also heard that driving at night with out headlights ~just the moon is tricky may only be possibly for a mile or two....
...of course I found that out when I had to drive 32 miles one night because the alternater wasn't working on a car I drove with a group of people I only trusted myself to drive (Those were the teen days.. and we were in the middle of no where so had no choice.)

Old 07-28-2008, 05:38 AM

2,712 posts, read 5,625,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peachie_in_maine View Post
I heard that cow tipping~ can kill cows.

I also heard that driving at night with out headlights ~just the moon is tricky may only be possibly for a mile or two....
...of course I found that out when I had to drive 32 miles one night because the alternater wasn't working on a car I drove with a group of people I only trusted myself to drive (Those were the teen days.. and we were in the middle of no where so had no choice.)

I dunno about cow tipping, but it doesn't sound fun for either me or the cow, but I DO know about moonlight driving... my old Ford had headlights that would -- sometimes -- go out for no apparent reason. We figured there was a short somewhere but never did find it.. this was the infamous $50 Ford of my canyon days stories, all I could afford at the time after hubby got van fever and traded our relatively new station wagon for a WV bus that gave up the ghost (it had suffered an engine fire and apparently was never right again, but he wouldn't believe me...)

Anyway, the Ford never let me down, one of the best $50 I ever spent... even though I often ended up driving down unlit country roads, straight ones across the wheat fields and curvey ones, down into our canyon home, without benefit of lights, after a long day in town. I don't know HOW it worked, but in that place and time, it was possible to see well enough to walk the paths through the woods -- or drive down the road in an unlighted car -- even when there was no moon, as long as the stars were shining and it was not overcast. When there was a full moon, you could literally read the newspaper by it.

Of course since I wasn't a teen -- but a mom with a car full of kids -- I took it slow and easy, with the window rolled down -- even if it was winter -- to listen for the sound of oncoming cars (very rare) so I could sound my horn, as I knew they would be taking their half out of the middle unless they saw my lights or knew otherwise that I was coming.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine