Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2008, 12:19 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,675,531 times

Advertisements

I have been trying to cut down the woodchuck population around here this summer though I have to tell you I have never in the 20 years we've lived here seen so many of the varmints around. So far I have dispatched six of them and they keep coming! They ate what few herbs we had planted and are now eating flowers. I never even knew they ate flowers!
There also seems to be many more grey squirrels around too. They've started lugging off the dry cat food from the cat's dish in the garage. Brazen little beasts. We also have a skunk taking cat food. Time to feed the cat indoors again I guess!
How about you? Have you had any varmint trouble this summer??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2008, 01:22 PM

7,727 posts, read 12,387,188 times
I had a family of woodchucks years ago that thought my pansies were their personal salad bar. They are determined critters.

Old 07-23-2008, 01:43 PM

1,664 posts, read 4,368,131 times
Squirrels-a-plenty in my neighborhood. With so many tree rats around, it's a very good high target environment. They ring trees, drop branches and twigs all over the yard, and dig up my landscaping. Certain idiot neighbors have taken to feeding them, which doesn't help.

My folks have a cottontail infestation at their place. That's a good high-target environment too. I can only conduct my business when Mom isn't around, however...

I kill them with Kindness ("Kindness" is my air rifle....)

Old 07-23-2008, 01:44 PM

Since I started this thread at 2:19 I've seen three more out there besides the one I got earlier in the day. I honestly don't know where they're all coming from. I thought there was maybe two families with six total though now I know there are at least 10 of them all together.
Thanks msina for the pansy salad confirmation. I did not know they ate flowers. We always had a veggie garden until recently so I watched for them there. Even when we had a large garden we never had this many Woodchucks around.
The dog is a big help.. ever since one chased him he got scared so now he just sits there and watches them eat the flowers.

Old 07-23-2008, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuffler View Post
Squirrels-a-plenty in my neighborhood. With so many tree rats around, it's a very good high target environment. They ring trees, drop branches and twigs all over the yard, and dig up my landscaping. Certain idiot neighbors have taken to feeding them, which doesn't help.

My folks have a cottontail infestation at their place. That's a good high-target environment too. I can only conduct my business when Mom isn't around, however...

I kill them with Kindness ("Kindness" is my air rifle....)
I've been using the .223 bolt action on them. I've missed twice as many as I have hit. I need a bench rest! I also need to go find some more .223 shells as I'm down to the last three in the box.

Old 07-23-2008, 02:11 PM

2,054 posts, read 4,580,693 times
I'll trade you 1/2 dozen 'chucks for 3 bushels of red squirrels.

I will take all the grays you have though!

Old 07-23-2008, 02:20 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,492,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
I've missed twice as many as I have hit.
Looks like you need some target practice, Maineah! Git yerself out on that range you have, that makes you such a "bad neighbor"!

Now that those high-stylin' house-sellers have flown the coop for fancier digs, time for you to get serious about those 'chucks. Next report, I want to hear that you've HIT twice as many as you've MISSED!

Old 07-23-2008, 02:20 PM

230 posts, read 875,677 times
Quote:
They ate what few herbs we had planted and are now eating flowers. I never even knew they ate flowers!
Last summer I planted marigolds all around the perimeter of my herb garden because I heard their (less than pleasant) fragrance was supposed to be a deterrent to certain types of pests. Not only did the woodchucks eat my herbs (including the thyme, which was quite woody!), but they ate the marigold flowers, and also some lilies that I had planted in another part of the yard. They even climbed onto the porch and ate some of the potted flowers I had there!

Old 07-23-2008, 02:23 PM

7,727 posts, read 12,387,188 times
Quote:
Since I started this thread at 2:19 I've seen three more out there besides the one I got earlier in the day. I honestly don't know where they're all coming from. I thought there was maybe two families with six total though now I know there are at least 10 of them all together.
Thanks msina for the pansy salad confirmation. I did not know they ate flowers. We always had a veggie garden until recently so I watched for them there. Even when we had a large garden we never had this many Woodchucks around.
The dog is a big help.. ever since one chased him he got scared so now he just sits there and watches them eat the flowers.
Do you live in a woodchuck resettlement area? Maybe people trap their varmints and free them in your yard! Perhaps the vittles are so good at your place they invite their friends!

Old 07-23-2008, 02:26 PM

I'm afraid there isn't a whole lot left to trade after the .223 55 grain soft nose hits the chuck! It makes an awful mess out of them. We have a few reds around here. You can have 'em!! You never see them here until you're on stand for deer then invariably one of the little buggars will see you and let the whole area know where you are! I used to carry an air pistol to chase them off with. I haven't started in on the gray squirrels yet....they're next. The .22 LR Quik Shox take care of them quite well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
View detailed profiles of: