U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2008, 12:23 AM

88 posts, read 277,262 times

Advertisements

Just thought I'd ask if anyone is around Bucksport.

Ralph
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2008, 04:44 AM

3,231 posts, read 6,895,716 times
I believe we have a poster in Searsport, a couple in Belfast, and a few in the Blue Hill / Deer Isle area.

Have questions? You'll find them all to be quite helpful!

Old 06-05-2008, 08:53 AM

10,243 posts, read 16,228,403 times
OK, Here's my favorite Bucksport story. I used to live on Verona Island and worked in the Bucksport mill for a time. The shipping department was behind and the warehouse was full of large rolls of paper. To get from the manufacturing area to the rail cars the lift trucks were going out onto the pier and back into the rail shed. The old pier surface had been covered with steel plate. It began to rain and the steel was slippery. One lift truck driver was in a hurry, skidded sideways and flipped the lift truck into Penobscot Bay. He swam to the ladder and climbed out.

The mill hired a diver to connect a cable to the lift truck so a floating barge could lift the truck out of the water. The diver went down and came right back up.

"Which one do you want?"

"Huh? What do you mean?"

"Well, there's two lift trucks down there. You want both of em?"

Two months earlier a lift truck had disappeared. After a thorough search the mill figured some truck driver had stolen it along with a load of paper. The mill got both trucks back and I don't think they ever told the insurance company they got the first one back. They just gave it a new number.

Old 06-05-2008, 11:45 AM

8,767 posts, read 17,095,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
OK, Here's my favorite Bucksport story. I used to live on Verona Island and worked in the Bucksport mill for a time. The shipping department was behind and the warehouse was full of large rolls of paper. To get from the manufacturing area to the rail cars the lift trucks were going out onto the pier and back into the rail shed. The old pier surface had been covered with steel plate. It began to rain and the steel was slippery. One lift truck driver was in a hurry, skidded sideways and flipped the lift truck into Penobscot Bay. He swam to the ladder and climbed out.

The mill hired a diver to connect a cable to the lift truck so a floating barge could lift the truck out of the water. The diver went down and came right back up.

"Which one do you want?"

"Huh? What do you mean?"

Two months earlier a lift truck had disappeared. After a thorough search the mill figured some truck driver had stolen it along with a load of paper. The mill got both trucks back and I don't think they ever told the insurance company they got the first one back. They just gave it a new number.
I little expanded steel mesh welded on to that steel plate would have solved that problem.

Old 06-05-2008, 12:30 PM

7,727 posts, read 11,444,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
I little expanded steel mesh welded on to that steel plate would have solved that problem.
It can also shred the tires on a lift. I worked in shipping/expediting for a long time. I remember many incidences of lifts going off a loading dock, trucks pulling out with the lift (and driver) in the truck, collisions with posts, other lifts, walls and what have you. We handled a lot of wet and or frozen fruit as well so slippery surfaces were the norm.

Sorry, I'm not in Bucksport and didn't mean to hijack the thread at all, I just got involved in the story.

Old 07-10-2008, 08:46 PM

That was funny! :-)
I drove truck for 20 years and saw a number of accidents with fork-lifts. However, I am happy to say, no-one was injured.
Well, it's good to hear from folks in Maine. I am now working as a merchant mariner in the GoM (Gulf of Mexico) on a supply vessel for anywhere from 4 to 8 weeks at a time, and I really miss home. I am closing on a house in Bucksport within the next few weeks.

Old 07-12-2008, 11:19 AM

2,059 posts, read 3,858,456 times
Quote:

"Which one do you want?"

"Huh? What do you mean?"

i hauld paper out of that mill for a while.i had a lift driver drive his forks right through the bulkhead of my trailer one friday afternoon.bucksport is a nice town i have a bro that lives in orland.

Old 06-30-2009, 06:40 AM

Quote:

"Which one do you want?"

"Huh? What do you mean?"

I re-read this post and laughed again. The Penobscot River/Bay is cold too. :-)

Old 06-30-2009, 08:06 AM

10,243 posts, read 16,228,403 times
True stories are the best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine