Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2008, 08:18 PM

17 posts, read 42,820 times

Advertisements

I saw a lot of moose in Rangeley, but that was getting out at first light and driving the roads. Also doing the same in the closing hours of dusk. Oh well, if I don't see bear, I have a spot that I can do some pre-scouting for deer season.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2008, 08:19 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,482,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
First off there are NO stupid questions...for the most part.
Thanks, Alison, Maineah, and 7th! You guys are the best!

Hang around with me long enough, though, and you will see - yes, there are plenty of stupid questions, and a lot of them come from that guy down in Rhode Island...what's he doin' on this Maine forum, anyway???

Old 06-10-2008, 05:15 AM

2,054 posts, read 4,577,484 times
Someone probably "remembers" bear watching in Greenville and Lily Bay. That does not happen any longer, as previously mentioned.

I did see a sow and two cubs the other day near Wilson or Prong pond. They bolted right in front of the truck. Sunday we watched a cow with two calves for nearly an hour up at Elephant mountain. The young ones were probably a couple of weeks old and nursing.

Come up and just hit the old logging roads. The wildlife is thick this time of year and you never know what you will run into!

Old 06-10-2008, 08:47 AM

63 posts, read 268,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
First off there are NO stupid questions...for the most part.

You will not see many bears and moose in Southern Maine. We found a dead bear cub in Pownal while fiddleheading. It was the first one I had seen in this area. I'd seen tracks here and there but never more than that. 7th Generation can chime in here if he wants to . There are many more bear in the Rumford/Andover area , Bethel and that area. I have seen bear in Andover when I worked installing fence at a a NASA antenna array that was there at that time. We see an occasional moose but not that many.

I lived in the Rumford/Mexico/Andover/Roxbury area for 30+ yrs and can't count the number of moose & bear on both hands that I have seen in that area. You probably won't see anything except around dusk & dawn. The best chance to see them will be along a small stretch of road between rt120 Ellis Pond in Roxbury rt5 in Andover. There is a satillite station on the left a short distance from the fork on rt120 (right brings you to Ellis Pond and left brings you to Andover rt5) that is a very good place to set up shop. You can't really see the station from the road, but there is an obvious turn off on the left and right across the street from that is a "rest area". Also, if you head towards Ellis Pond in Roxbury and continue past all the camps the road will turn into dirt for a while and will eventually come out onto rt17. That road is also a good place to catch a view. The dirt road is definately not something that you need an off road vehicle for, it is quite passable with any type of vehicle.

Old 06-10-2008, 09:00 AM

3,061 posts, read 8,360,450 times
You can go to Brooklin and see alot of bears too. My mom says they are all over the place. I know in past years they've relocated some of them. My aunt had one trying to get the nectar out of her hummingbird feeder last year.

Old 06-10-2008, 09:01 AM

3,061 posts, read 8,360,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
Thanks, Alison, Maineah, and 7th! You guys are the best!

Hang around with me long enough, though, and you will see - yes, there are plenty of stupid questions, and a lot of them come from that guy down in Rhode Island...what's he doin' on this Maine forum, anyway???
No, no, no. The only stupid question is the one that is never asked.

Old 06-10-2008, 10:09 AM

1,816 posts, read 3,389,791 times
I found these cool pictures by Paul Cyr while roaming the Presque Isle Web cam.

Maine Bear Monitoring

I've read that the ideal amount of black bears in Maine is about 21,000. About 2500 are hunted each year. And they seem to watch that number quite closely and will even ban hunting if these numbers drop.

Old 06-12-2008, 05:34 AM

6,630 posts, read 13,535,602 times
There were three bears in two locations in Baileyville Monday. Steve saw a 400 lb bear just south of the Brookton town line on Rt 1 this morning. Another vehicle came up behind him before he could get a picture. =( The bears are moving around a lot right now.

Old 06-12-2008, 10:17 AM

6,630 posts, read 13,535,602 times
Steve saw a "medium size bear" on Two Mile Turn on Rt 1 in Danforth after seeing the brute this morning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine