Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Maine oil predictions high priced per barrel, Maine survival of price hike, poor infrastructure to support public transportation, residents flee state for warmer climates

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2008, 02:46 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,661,299 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMoore007 View Post
I agree with you about the gas price situation. Just hope it's sooner not later. This insider claims of 1,200 billion barrels left worldwide, not half that which has been reported.

Oil shortage a myth, says industry insider - World news - News - Belfast Telegraph (you can see this map in this article)

"Explaining why the published estimates of proven global reserves are less than half the true amount, Dr Pike said there was anecdotal evidence that big oil producers were glad to go along with under-reporting of proven reserves to help maintain oil's high price. "Part of the oil industry is perfectly familiar with the way oil reserves are underestimated, but the decision makers in both the companies and the countries are not exposed to the reasons why proven oil reserves are bigger than they are said to be," he said.
Well it's obviously time we took over Canada!

Last edited by 7th generation; 06-12-2008 at 07:51 PM.. Reason: removed image

Old 06-12-2008, 02:55 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,482,288 times
Post Whining And Moaning

...will never solve any problems. You won't see me posting whines and moans. I'll complain about national policy, which I blame for this predicament we're in, but I do not blame the common folks for buying SUVs or trying to better their lot in life. This is still a free country! People still have power over their lives! We are all so very fortunate that we live in a country where we have choices, and can choose accordingly.

If your choice is to move from Maine, or just live there in summers, than that's a viable choice if it works for you. If your choice is to remain a year-round resident, and you figure a way to either increase your income or reduce your expenses, then that works also. I read too much whining and moaning about "minimum wage". If that's all they pay up there, then either move - OR - start your own business! That's why I did! I wasn't happy with the pay scales here in RI, so I chose a different path. You can, too.

Forest beekeeper seems to have the healthiest and most constructive attitude here when it comes to surviving and thriving in adverse circumstances. He does not see himself as a victim, nor do I. He sees hardship as a challenge, an adventure, and while everyone about him is whining and moaning, he's busy as a "bee" getting on with his work and making progress! And we all know what sort of disaster he had to work around this past spring. The flood did not 'dampen' his spirit!

This is what life is about, folks! If you whine and moan and wait for the government to come along and create new transportation infrastructure, or do this or that for you, it will all just be more of the same. Look around at all you have to be thankful for.

Attitude is everything!

Old 06-12-2008, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
...will never solve any problems. You won't see me posting whines and moans. I'll complain about national policy, which I blame for this predicament we're in, but I do not blame the common folks for buying SUVs or trying to better their lot in life. This is still a free country! People still have power over their lives! We are all so very fortunate that we live in a country where we have choices, and can choose accordingly.

If your choice is to move from Maine, or just live there in summers, than that's a viable choice if it works for you. If your choice is to remain a year-round resident, and you figure a way to either increase your income or reduce your expenses, then that works also. I read too much whining and moaning about "minimum wage". If that's all they pay up there, then either move - OR - start your own business! That's why I did! I wasn't happy with the pay scales here in RI, so I chose a different path. You can, too.

Forest beekeeper seems to have the healthiest and most constructive attitude here when it comes to surviving and thriving in adverse circumstances. He does not see himself as a victim, nor do I. He sees hardship as a challenge, an adventure, and while everyone about him is whining and moaning, he's busy as a "bee" getting on with his work and making progress! And we all know what sort of disaster he had to work around this past spring. The flood did not 'dampen' his spirit!

This is what life is about, folks! If you whine and moan and wait for the government to come along and create new transportation infrastructure, or do this or that for you, it will all just be more of the same. Look around at all you have to be thankful for.

Attitude is everything!
Naw....Let's just invade Canada!

Old 06-12-2008, 02:58 PM

1,594 posts, read 4,094,896 times
First, it doesn't matter how reserves are measured or reported. It's what's produced that counts. Pike is just playing numbers games on that score.

Second, the map accompanying the article shows just how empty his claims are. That BIG circle up in Canada is the tar sands, where oil is being extracted at an enormous cost in money, energy, and the environment. Tar sands oil costs one barrel of oil for every two produced, so it's darned expensive stuff. It's also eating up all the new natural gas production in northern Canada as well as huge amounts of fresh water, practically the entire Athabasca River Basin.

The circle in Colorado is shale oil, which never has and never will produce oil at either a financial or energy profit. The map doesn't include the Bakken play in the Dakotas, but that too is only marginally successful thus far.

Plus, the estimates for oil reserves in OPEC countries are universally recognized as completely bogus, fictional numbers made up in the 1980s to increase each country's piece of OPEC's production quota at the time.

IOW Pike's statements are at best naive and uninformed and at worst intentionally misleading.

Old 06-12-2008, 03:02 PM

I almost got run over by an electric car the other day. Thay don't make any noise! I didn't see it coming up behind me and stepped right out in front of it. They should have bells on the wheels or something.

Old 06-12-2008, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coaster View Post
That BIG circle up in Canada is the tar sands, where oil is being extracted at an enormous cost in money, energy, and the environment. Tar sands oil costs one barrel of oil for every two produced, so it's darned expensive stuff. It's also eating up all the new natural gas production in northern Canada as well as huge amounts of fresh water, practically the entire Athabasca River Basin.
This doesn't have to be the case - and may not be. Using oil to extract oil is silly. Once the Canadians get serious about extracting that oil (they are just diddling with it, for now), you will see a safe, new, clean nuclear plant there to provide the power. Or, they will find some other way to extract it profitably.

And I think we've all heard enough about 'the cost to the environment'. There's nothing wrong with the environment. A "natural" volcano spews out more trash over a wider area than any mine or oil rig ever has.

Old 06-12-2008, 03:09 PM

37,441 posts, read 61,352,754 times
Quote:
...will never solve any problems.
I agree

Quote:
... If your choice is to move from Maine, or just live there in summers, than that's a viable choice if it works for you. If your choice is to remain a year-round resident, and you figure a way to either increase your income or reduce your expenses, then that works also. I read too much whining and moaning about "minimum wage". If that's all they pay up there, then either move - OR - start your own business! That's why I did! I wasn't happy with the pay scales here in RI, so I chose a different path. You can, too.
Well said.

Quote:
... Forest beekeeper seems to have the healthiest and most constructive attitude here when it comes to surviving and thriving in adverse circumstances. He does not see himself as a victim, nor do I. He sees hardship as a challenge, an adventure, and while everyone about him is whining and moaning, he's busy as a "bee" getting on with his work and making progress! And we all know what sort of disaster he had to work around this past spring. The flood did not 'dampen' his spirit!
I have been called: a tin-foil hatter; a sicko; and many other things of which I care not to repeat. Having a healthy attitude and a constructive attitude; is not what I hear very often.

Thank you

Quote:
... This is what life is about, folks! If you whine and moan and wait for the government to come along and create new transportation infrastructure, or do this or that for you, it will all just be more of the same. Look around at all you have to be thankful for.

Attitude is everything!
Shiny!

Old 06-12-2008, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
Naw....Let's just invade Canada!
Good idea! I think something like that may actually be in the works! Ever hear of the SPP or North American Union? We may as well use it to our advantage!

Yummy...more OIL!

Old 06-12-2008, 03:21 PM

Quote:
This doesn't have to be the case - and may not be. Using oil to extract oil is silly. Once the Canadians get serious about extracting that oil (they are just diddling with it, for now), you will see a safe, new, clean nuclear plant there to provide the power. Or, they will find some other way to extract it profitably.

And I think we've all heard enough about 'the cost to the environment'. There's nothing wrong with the environment. A "natural" volcano spews out more trash over a wider area than any mine or oil rig ever has.
Yeah Man but it's like Mother Earth talking to us Man! You Know?? It's not like evil mankind spewing his filth on the world....it's like natural or something...like mushrooms....and hemp....and opium....and free love...and....

Old 06-12-2008, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
Yeah Man but it's like Mother Earth talking to us Man! You Know?? It's not like evil mankind spewing his filth on the world....it's like natural or something...like mushrooms....and hemp....and opium....and free love...and....
I love it!!!

I was invited to speak to a class last year about my work (landscaping) and I held up a poster of the earth (you know - the one taken in space from the moon). I asked, "What ever leaves here?" and the class couldn't think of anything, except some astronauts or satellites.

I then asked, "What ever comes here?" and they thought about it...an asteroid now and then? Meteor? Space alien?

Basically, I told them, nothing much leaves the earth, or comes to the earth. Then - I hit 'em with my biggest question -

"So, what is 'pollution'?" Nobody had a meaningful answer!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine