Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2008, 09:51 AM

8,767 posts, read 18,663,209 times

Advertisements

Maine has lots of ametheyst which we could use to make a giant laser to shoot at the moon and blow it up! May not solve any energy problems but it would be fun!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2008, 09:57 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,232,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
Maine has great rivers to use for hydro power. Unfortunately our dams are being removed to make it more convenient for fish. The environmental industry is actively opposing any new dams.

Maine has a reliable supply of wind, especially on the ridge tops. The envioronmental industry wants any wind mills to be at the bottoms of valleys where they cannot disturb their "viewscapes". Of course there is nearly no wind there, but their ultimate intent is to make any economic development in Maine unprofitable so it won't happen.
I know that you have a strong opinion of enviromentalists, but you got to keep in mind that they are doing what they feel is for the betterment of of the region and ultimately for the planet. Yes some of them are whack jobs, and I do not agree with everything that they stand for, but keep in mind that Maine is one of the last states that has not been completely polluted because of industry.

I don't know about you, but I have lived in states where it was highly recomended that you only eat one fish caught in this river or if you swim in that lake you come end feeling all slimey. Not too mention all of those drives through the mountains where it looked like you were driving through a hilly desert because all of the trees where chopped down and it just looked barren (and depressing). I am also tired of drinking tap water that has been contaminated with PCB's because hey, the local industry has to dump their waste somewhere, so I guess it might as well be near underground water sources or heck-right into the water source.

I am not trying to flame you, and this comment is directed to everyone, but Maine is one of the last states that has yet to be environmentally polluted and/or raped by industry. Why some want that to change is beyond me.

The wind farms; you may be right in that the enviros want to keep them off the tops of mountains, but from what I read it is the residents in the local communities where these wind farms are proposed who are against it.

I am not against using natural resources, I am against those who do so in a manner that is not responsible or sustainable (for the environment). Maine is, however, ripe for many types of industries and it amazes me that nothing happens (and when it does it only profits a very small percentage) in this state. I am also amazed that when the paper mills shut down no one did anything about (in terms of replacing it with another type of industry).

Harnessing energy from the ocean is going to be the future. It would be totally awesome if Maine (helped) pioneer(ed) this.

Old 06-16-2008, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
Maine has lots of ametheyst which we could use to make a giant laser to shoot at the moon and blow it up! May not solve any energy problems but it would be fun!
I am not sure if I would want to live on this planet if the moon suddenly disappeared. But yes, in a narcissistic Hey, want to see something cool aspect-it would be interesting.

Old 06-16-2008, 10:14 AM

8,767 posts, read 18,663,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
I know that you have a strong opinion of enviromentalists, but you got to keep in mind that they are doing what they feel is for the betterment of of the region and ultimately for the planet. Yes some of them are whack jobs, and I do not agree with everything that they stand for, but keep in mind that Maine is one of the last states that has not been completely polluted because of industry.

I don't know about you, but I have lived in states where it was highly recomended that you only eat one fish caught in this river or if you swim in that lake you come end feeling all slimey. Not too mention all of those drives through the mountains where it looked like you were driving through a hilly desert because all of the trees where chopped down and it just looked barren (and depressing). I am also tired of drinking tap water that has been contaminated with PCB's because hey, the local industry has to dump their waste somewhere, so I guess it might as well be near underground water sources or heck-right into the water source.

I am not trying to flame you, and this comment is directed to everyone, but Maine is one of the last states that has yet to be environmentally polluted and/or raped by industry. Why some want that to change is beyond me.

The wind farms; you may be right in that the enviros want to keep them off the tops of mountains, but from what I read it is the residents in the local communities where these wind farms are proposed who are against it.

I am not against using natural resources, I am against those who do so in a manner that is not responsible or sustainable (for the environment). Maine is, however, ripe for many types of industries and it amazes me that nothing happens (and when it does it only profits a very small percentage) in this state. I am also amazed that when the paper mills shut down no one did anything about (in terms of replacing it with another type of industry).

Harnessing energy from the ocean is going to be the future. It would be totally awesome if Maine (helped) pioneer(ed) this.
I agree with you on this one. The recreational aspects of Maine are worth far more than having the state developed into any industrial uses. Sustainable tree harvesting is fine with me as the paper companies do replant and rotate their harvesting to keep things reasonably pristine. A biomass boiler like the one in Ashland makes sense to recover energy from harvesting refuse. Perhaps some sunken turbines near Calais would be good for capturing tidal power. You wouldn't even know they were there.
Our recreational oppurtunities are valuable to the whole country and worth much more than anything we have in the ground.

Old 06-16-2008, 10:19 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,675,502 times
The environmental industry likes Maine so much because of the way we land owners have kept it for the last four centuries. We paid to take care of it. Sportsmen pay for conservation. Conservation is wise use of a resource. That is a positive thing. We must indeed use it wisely. My problem is with the no use extremists. So far this year we have lost over 20 townships. Picture the loss of over 20 townships down there in lower Maine. You might not like that either.

Old 06-16-2008, 10:32 AM

2,054 posts, read 4,577,904 times
The up and coming Washington County model of land grabbing, will be unsettling, to say the least.

Old 06-16-2008, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
So far this year we have lost over 20 townships. Picture the loss of over 20 townships down there in lower Maine. You might not like that either.
How? Why?

Old 06-16-2008, 11:56 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,675,502 times
How? The former owners were over-regulated to the point that it was unprofitable to own wooded land in Maine. The intent was to make land worth less on the way to making it worthless. No paper company owns land in Maine today. The holding companies that own it now are relatively low on the food chain of environmental organizations. Much of Washington County, for example, is owned by Yale University or one of its many foundations. Management of it is farmed out to various land management companies. Some of the folks who work for those companies are local. However, never forget where the control actually comes from and what their long term goals are.

Why? I stated the reasons earlier in this thread. Just Google "The Wildlands Project". These people are bent on rural cleansing and it is a juggernaught gaining speed. You won't be able to build a hunting camp. I won't be able to; but some of their wealthy friends can get a release from the owners of the easement to do what they want. This is all about elitism, control and the difference between royalty and the serfs who serve them.

There it is, all summed up in two easy paragraphs. I have been in this fight since 1973.

"Never give in. Never give in. Never, never, never, never--in nothing, great or small, large or petty--never give in, except to convictions of honor and good sense. Never yield to force. Never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy."
Winston Churchill, October 29, 1941

Old 06-16-2008, 01:03 PM

2,054 posts, read 4,577,904 times
Beware of "Sustainable Use," or "Traditional Use," or any similar language!

There is nothing "Traditional" about it.

Old 06-16-2008, 01:34 PM

Well, that sounds bizarre, NMLM (I am not insinuating that you are wrong, by the way).

I googled WILDERNESS PROJECT and it seems legitimate to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
View detailed profiles of: