Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2008, 02:35 PM

37,443 posts, read 61,360,276 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
You have to get that home brew shop opened!!
Especially if you have any more of that grass you had.

Good hay is always in demand.

Old 07-17-2008, 09:15 AM

5,054 posts, read 12,419,586 times
Positive thoughts coming your way, Z! At least you have food!!

Old 07-17-2008, 11:03 AM

7,058 posts, read 9,075,840 times
Yes, food is a definite "plus". The wildlife may start looking tasty soon...there are some turkeys wandering around occasionally, deer regularly, and even a moose once. I scooped the cat's dish off the floor one morning and put it in the sink, when I looked up there was a moose looking in the kitchen window. We stared at each other for about 20 seconds before it turned around and scampered off...I'll have to tote my big freezer there this trip.

Just kidding...mostly...for now...

Old 07-18-2008, 11:06 AM

37,443 posts, read 61,360,276 times
Last night we had a bit of excitement. Our eldest son has been brewing some lager, and while I had advised him not to, he put much of it into 1 gallon wine bottles with screw on caps. Then I advised him to store them in the cooler basement, but he decided to keep them on the floor near his bed. Well last night, they began exploding.

I have had bottles explode before, and I learned a lesson from the process. Though I have not exploded any bottles since the early 80's.

It was interesting last night as one bottle exploding tends to set off neighboring bottles.

LOL

Old 07-18-2008, 11:34 AM

6,631 posts, read 13,537,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
Yes, food is a definite "plus". The wildlife may start looking tasty soon...there are some turkeys wandering around occasionally, deer regularly, and even a moose once. I scooped the cat's dish off the floor one morning and put it in the sink, when I looked up there was a moose looking in the kitchen window. We stared at each other for about 20 seconds before it turned around and scampered off...I'll have to tote my big freezer there this trip.

Just kidding...mostly...for now...
There's a lot of food available for wild harvesting right now. Do you fish? Wild raspberries and blueberries are ripe. If we get some rain mushrooms will show up in a month or so. Of course, be careful of wild mushrooms. Bird season starts October 1 and the fall turkey hunt starts October 2, 11 and 18 depending on how and where you hunt. There's a pdf chart here (broken link).

I have a brand new empty freezer in the basement, bull moose walking around all the time and no permit to hunt one. Bummer.

Old 07-18-2008, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
Last night we had a bit of excitement. Our eldest son has been brewing some lager, and while I had advised him not to, he put much of it into 1 gallon wine bottles with screw on caps. Then I advised him to store them in the cooler basement, but he decided to keep them on the floor near his bed. Well last night, they began exploding.

I have had bottles explode before, and I learned a lesson from the process. Though I have not exploded any bottles since the early 80's.

It was interesting last night as one bottle exploding tends to set off neighboring bottles.

LOL

Rule Number One: Never, ever put beer (or any other carbonated beverage) into ordinary wine bottles, they are simply not designed to withstand any internal pressure. The glass is far too thin, especially the gallon jugs. Unfortunately, this decision was all but guaranteed to result in catastrophe.

The cooler basement likely would not have helped, as lager yeasts prefer to work at lower temperatures.

The only way this would have worked out was if he *wanted* flat beer and made sure that all fermentation was *completely* finished, and did not add any priming sugar for carbonation.

If he doesn't want to go to the trouble of filling 12 or 16 oz. bottles or get into the expense of full-scale kegging (5 gallon soda kegs with external CO2 tanks and a tap), he should use the 5 liter mini-kegs with the CO2 injectors.

Old 07-18-2008, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post
There's a lot of food available for wild harvesting right now. Do you fish? Wild raspberries and blueberries are ripe. If we get some rain mushrooms will show up in a month or so. Of course, be careful of wild mushrooms. Bird season starts October 1 and the fall turkey hunt starts October 2, 11 and 18 depending on how and where you hunt. There's a pdf chart here (broken link).

I have a brand new empty freezer in the basement, bull moose walking around all the time and no permit to hunt one. Bummer.
LOL, I don't like fish, and I'm allergic to 'shrooms. Some of my raspberries just withered away without ever getting harvestable, but some others where it is more shady look like they might be coming in nicely.

As far as filling the freezer...let's just say that, as far as *I'm* concerned, if it's on my land, it's mine if I want it. My wife, OTOH, would be somewhat peeved (huge understatement) were I to bag any of the critters...with the possible exception of the coyote that comes around from time to time that might think the cats are snacks.

Old 07-18-2008, 01:22 PM

2,712 posts, read 5,652,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
LOL, I don't like fish, and I'm allergic to 'shrooms. Some of my raspberries just withered away without ever getting harvestable, but some others where it is more shady look like they might be coming in nicely.

As far as filling the freezer...let's just say that, as far as *I'm* concerned, if it's on my land, it's mine if I want it. My wife, OTOH, would be somewhat peeved (huge understatement) were I to bag any of the critters...with the possible exception of the coyote that comes around from time to time that might think the cats are snacks.
yeah, but I think you will have to look pretty darn far to find any coyote recipes that were worth making.

Old 07-18-2008, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by starwalker View Post
yeah, but I think you will have to look pretty darn far to find any coyote recipes that were worth making.
I could always ask at one of the Chinese restaurants? Or a Korean?

Old 07-18-2008, 02:25 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,675,502 times
Took the words right out of my mouth Zymer.

The first weekend that Lincoln had a Chinese restaurant open up there were no more pigeons in town. None, zip, zero pigeons. This was the cause of some consternation around town and needless to say the chicken dishes in the Chinese restaurant didn't sell well. After a couple of weeks the news came out that the paper mill was tired of pigeons roosting in the shipping shed so they had an indoor pigeon shoot with pellet rifles. End of pigeon mystery.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine