Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2008, 06:36 AM

7,395 posts, read 13,039,916 times

Advertisements

I agree Alan.

I also think that "high crime rate" in Maine means something different here than many other states. That is why I said in the beginning that there is really no place "bad" to live in this state. There are places we don't like as well as others, but people are safe here, and regardless of where in Maine you choose to live, you have an opportunity to build a wonderful life. Some areas you will have to search harder for jobs, or create your own, but that is worth it too for many.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2008, 08:11 AM

63 posts, read 648,720 times
What can you tell me about these cities: Auburn, Waterville and Windham? Thanks.

Old 06-26-2008, 08:35 AM

1,698 posts, read 3,320,588 times
Sorry I can't help you in that area Badgernut. * just wanted you to know I read your post.

I always thought domestic crime was our number one crime here.

Old 06-26-2008, 07:56 PM

1,081 posts, read 1,642,116 times
The first year in Maine, this is the crime I saw:

a young man pulled over by the police because he was riding his atv on paved streets over 500 feet from the trail

an older gentleman pulled over and given a drunk test (IN MY DRIVEWAY!!!) which he failed. vehicle towed

young man pulled over for broken windshield and having 'borrowed' plates on his newly purchased (used!) vehicle

This is amazing to me as we live on a busy (by Maine standards) corner. One of the places I lived in Mass, we moved after an incident where a man ran through our yard with a drawn gun and a police officer chased him with HIS gun drawn. This was after a couple neighbors were busted for dealing drugs, a local girl was murdered by her neighbor and buried in the basement, and the chief of police was convicted of child rape!

I'll take Maine!

Old 06-27-2008, 07:01 AM

37,239 posts, read 60,963,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siobjuan View Post
The first year in Maine, this is the crime I saw:

a young man pulled over by the police because he was riding his atv on paved streets over 500 feet from the trail

an older gentleman pulled over and given a drunk test (IN MY DRIVEWAY!!!) which he failed. vehicle towed

young man pulled over for broken windshield and having 'borrowed' plates on his newly purchased (used!) vehicle

This is amazing to me as we live on a busy (by Maine standards) corner. One of the places I lived in Mass, we moved after an incident where a man ran through our yard with a drawn gun and a police officer chased him with HIS gun drawn. This was after a couple neighbors were busted for dealing drugs, a local girl was murdered by her neighbor and buried in the basement, and the chief of police was convicted of child rape!

I'll take Maine!
It is hard to honestly try to compare there two different levels of 'high crime'

I like Maine too.

Old 06-28-2008, 10:48 AM

189 posts, read 299,917 times
Default Complaining

Sorry to begin with a complaint, but I honestly wish people wouldn't reply unless they're going to address the topic. Most of these posts either didn't do that or, if they named someplace they liked or didn't like, didn't say why. That's not really very helpful.

Old 06-28-2008, 01:53 PM

1,698 posts, read 3,320,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelo129 View Post
Sorry to begin with a complaint, but I honestly wish people wouldn't reply unless they're going to address the topic. Most of these posts either didn't do that or, if they named someplace they liked or didn't like, didn't say why. That's not really very helpful.
I agree, it was wrong of me to reply and say I was sorry I couldn't help.

Old 06-28-2008, 04:11 PM

37,239 posts, read 60,963,154 times
Quote:

Hmm, okay I am so sorry.

As to the topic.

The Best places to live in Maine:
I like the areas above the volvo-line [off to the West, or North, or East of Bangor.]

I like the Un-Organized Townships of Maine [Most towns in Maine are UT].

Why:
UTs enjoy lower taxes [lower code enforcement, lower LEO presence, lower traffic, lower municipal services] and they tend to enjoy lower crime rates.

Old 06-29-2008, 04:46 AM

3,231 posts, read 7,429,376 times
Quote:

First of all, the question was very subjective. We are all very partial to certain parts of Maine. There is such a wide contrast to different areas.
There are NO real bad places to live in Maine, it's just a matter of preference. Some if us are partial to the coast and couldn't live without it.
Others are partial to the far northern parts of Maine. Others the southern half. Some posters are loyal to the more rural areas (UT's), while others prefer a little more population.
One thing I can tell you without a doubt, we all LOVE our piece of Maine.
No matter which piece it is. If you thought for one minute that any of us in here would tell you that one area was a h*ll- hole, it's not going to happen. The question was based upon opinion. OUR opinion is we love our state. They don't call us PROUD MAINERS for nothing.

Cheers.

Old 06-29-2008, 05:42 AM

47,855 posts, read 21,881,052 times
Default Proud of Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fort Lauderdale mermaid View Post
First of all, the question was very subjective. We are all very partial to certain parts of Maine. There is such a wide contrast to different areas.
There are NO real bad places to live in Maine, it's just a matter of preference. Some if us are partial to the coast and couldn't live without it.
Others are partial to the far northern parts of Maine. Others the southern half. Some posters are loyal to the more rural areas (UT's), while others prefer a little more population.
One thing I can tell you without a doubt, we all LOVE our piece of Maine.
No matter which piece it is. If you thought for one minute that any of us in here would tell you that one area was a h*ll- hole, it's not going to happen. The question was based upon opinion. OUR opinion is we love our state. They don't call us PROUD MAINERS for nothing.

Cheers.
Wonderful response Mermaid! The opening question was divisive....much like a stranger asking a family to discuss what they like and dislike about each other and why. I so appreciate your perspective and your response!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine