Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2008, 02:24 PM

2,356 posts, read 5,719,353 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tapestry View Post
To clarify (and just to be sure I have it straight): Based on what you said, we should just look at the taxes on the MLS listing and not worry about what we figure based on the price of the property....if this isn't correct, please let me know...

Thank you!

...Sue
Pretty much. the only time I really double check with the town is if the MLS lists tax as 05/06 and its like 2008. I would then check with the town.

Its prudent to also find out when the last evaulation was conducted, when the next one is due, what the outlook is for taxes ect. Even though increase values do not necesarily mean higher taxez "overall" There will be homes that see their property tax rate increase dramatically.

Maine is considered fairly high taxes...but there are areas where you will find very reasonable taxes. I think coming from Pa you should be all set. I remember reading they have all kinds of taxes.

Old 06-20-2008, 03:39 PM

312 posts, read 725,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flycessna View Post
Pretty much. the only time I really double check with the town is if the MLS lists tax as 05/06 and its like 2008. I would then check with the town.

Its prudent to also find out when the last evaulation was conducted, when the next one is due, what the outlook is for taxes ect. Even though increase values do not necesarily mean higher taxez "overall" There will be homes that see their property tax rate increase dramatically.

Maine is considered fairly high taxes...but there are areas where you will find very reasonable taxes. I think coming from Pa you should be all set. I remember reading they have all kinds of taxes.
yeah, we *do* have somewhat high taxes here in Pennsy, so hopefully, like you said, we should be all right with taxes in Maine...

Would Eastport be one of the areas to find reasonable taxes since you said there are areas in Maine with reasonable taxes?

Thanks!

P.S. What part of Maine do you live in?

...Sue

Old 06-20-2008, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tapestry View Post
P.S. What part of Maine do you live in?

...Sue
Auburn,

Old 06-20-2008, 07:25 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,753,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
I wish property taxes were based on how many services you actually receive from the town. Police, fire, rescue we all benefit from that but why should someone pay to keep up a sewer system or water system they're not hooked up to? Or schools? If you don't have kids in school why should part of your taxes go to school upkeep? We have no trash pick up, and other than plowing the road in the winter we receive nothing but the fire, police and rescue which we have never used. Our kids are out of school and our taxes will be $4400.00 next year too! Thanks for nothing!
Now that your children are out of the public school system, perhaps you and your dw should consider moving to a less desireable school district community for a less expensive home with a lower property tax rate. Take your profits and run

Old 06-20-2008, 07:38 PM

48,129 posts, read 22,004,457 times
To anyone questioning why they need to pay school taxes even if they don't have children....

"If you think education is expensive,
Try ignorance!"

IMHO being a member of society carries with it some responsibilty to "promote the common good".

Old 06-20-2008, 07:40 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,753,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
To anyone questioning why they need to pay school taxes even if they don't have children....

Try ignorance!"

IMHO being a member of society carries with it some responsibilty to "promote the common good".
Yes, you are one hundred percent correct.
I am so sorry. I did not mean to appear so insensititve. An educated child is certainly in the best interest of society at large and for our future.

Last edited by moughie; 06-20-2008 at 07:49 PM..

Old 06-20-2008, 07:46 PM

48,129 posts, read 22,004,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moughie View Post
Yes, you are one hundred percent correct.
I am so sorry. I did not mean to appear so insensititve. An education child is certainly in the best interest of society at large and for our future.
My dear Moughie, no one could ever suspect or accuse you of being insensitive.
Your heart has always been in the right place.

Old 06-21-2008, 07:45 AM

12,420 posts, read 3,232,082 times
You may be better off somewhat inland. Also, check out the services offered...like someone else mentioned...police, fire, etc. Some of these small towns offer nothing but high taxes. UGH! When we lived in Rockport our taxes were not bad at all and we had a great hospital, one of the best school systems in the state, and fire and police. PLUS, it's on the coast. Can't figure that one out.

Old 06-21-2008, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post

Try ignorance!"

"common good" can be a scary prospect, and much harm has been cause by applying that phrase.

I want schools to teach Math, Science, English, and History....the way I was taught! Ok, computers and new technology are also acceptable....I expect our children to grow with the times too.

But please leave out all the feel good social crap. I hate my tax dollars going to provide some middle school age "child" birth control.

Old 06-21-2008, 12:44 PM

37,465 posts, read 61,396,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flycessna View Post
"common good" can be a scary prospect, and much harm has been cause by applying that phrase.

I want schools to teach Math, Science, English, and History....the way I was taught! Ok, computers and new technology are also acceptable....I expect our children to grow with the times too.

But please leave out all the feel good social crap. I hate my tax dollars going to provide some middle school age "child" birth control.
And social-engineering 'No Bully' curriculum for one-half day each week;

and DARE training for one full school day each week;

and 'safe-sex' [including 'safe-alternative-lifestyles-sex'] once each grade level;

and anti-racism rallies three times each school year;

and pro-foreign culture events four times each school year;

and ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine