Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2008, 11:13 AM

277 posts, read 891,170 times

Advertisements

I'm staying at a little camp on Great Pond for a week and looking for a place to rent a jet ski for a day or two...anyone from around here know of a place to rent them? I spoke to the people at Great Pond Marina but they don't rent them anymore and couldn't tell me anyone who would...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2008, 08:42 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,671,339 times
Around June 24, 1942 there was a fisherman trolling for salmon on Great Pond. Some summer people out on Long Point had a Lyman lapstrake boat with a 40 horse Johnson on it. They went water skiing and decided to see how close they could come to the canoe. They splashed water on the fisherman. Then they came right head on with the boat on one side and the skier flipped the rope up and went on the other side of the canoe.

The next day they tried it again. The fisherman picked up a 30-30 and put a cast bullet into the 40 horse Johnson. The engine died. The skier sank into the water. The fisherman trolled by and said, "Won't do that again; Will yuh?"

They feel the same way about jet skis on Great Pond.

Old 06-22-2008, 08:57 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,659,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
Around June 24, 1942 there was a fisherman trolling for salmon on Great Pond. Some summer people out on Long Point had a Lyman lapstrake boat with a 40 horse Johnson on it. They went water skiing and decided to see how close they could come to the canoe. They splashed water on the fisherman. Then they came right head on with the boat on one side and the skier flipped the rope up and went on the other side of the canoe.

The next day they tried it again. The fisherman picked up a 30-30 and put a cast bullet into the 40 horse Johnson. The engine died. The skier sank into the water. The fisherman trolled by and said, "Won't do that again; Will yuh?"

They feel the same way about jet skis on Great Pond.
The State is really cracking down on where Jet Ski's are allowed. They are annoying at best.

Old 06-22-2008, 09:23 PM

For my 65th birthday my son got me 2 hours on a jet ski on Sebago Lake. We were down there for a week vacation. It sure was different. Sebago is a party lake with giant speed boats with two V-8 engines and rafts of party barges, those twin pontoon boats. They all raft up in the middle of the lake all tied together and party. Never saw anything like it up north.

I found that a jet ski will back up and you can pivot in one spot like a tug boat does. I went about 50 MPH and cruised just above planing speed. OK, I did it. Don't need to do it again.

I knew Ernest Thompson when he was 8 years old. His parents had a cabin on Great Pond. They had a Chris Craft speed boat and it was mahogany. You could see your face in it. He wrote a book about that camp. It is titled "On Golden Pond". The title "On Great Pond" was already taken.

Great Pond has a tradition going back over 100 years of guides and classic fishing camps. The Thompson's camp was just south of Chester Thwing's old Woodland Camps where Humphrey Bogart's father used to take me fishing. That was the camp where I used to drive the Model T to the garbage dump and throw corn cobs at the bears before I dared to get down on the ground to trip the dump. Jet skis are better suited to Sebago.

Hey, you can't make this stuff up. This the old Maine from an old guy. Edmund Muskie's mother used to make be biscuits at that camp.

Old 06-23-2008, 01:43 PM

2,712 posts, read 5,652,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
For my 65th birthday my son got me 2 hours on a jet ski on Sebago Lake. We were down there for a week vacation. It sure was different. Sebago is a party lake with giant speed boats with two V-8 engines and rafts of party barges, those twin pontoon boats. They all raft up in the middle of the lake all tied together and party. Never saw anything like it up north.

I found that a jet ski will back up and you can pivot in one spot like a tug boat does. I went about 50 MPH and cruised just above planing speed. OK, I did it. Don't need to do it again.

I knew Ernest Thompson when he was 8 years old. His parents had a cabin on Great Pond. They had a Chris Craft speed boat and it was mahogany. You could see your face in it. He wrote a book about that camp. It is titled "On Golden Pond". The title "On Great Pond" was already taken.

Great Pond has a tradition going back over 100 years of guides and classic fishing camps. The Thompson's camp was just south of Chester Thwing's old Woodland Camps where Humphrey Bogart's father used to take me fishing. That was the camp where I used to drive the Model T to the garbage dump and throw corn cobs at the bears before I dared to get down on the ground to trip the dump. Jet skis are better suited to Sebago.

Hey, you can't make this stuff up. This the old Maine from an old guy. Edmund Muskie's mother used to make be biscuits at that camp.
Hey, Land Man, you gonna write a book? You should you know... at least collect all these neat little anecdotes in one place... that would make it easy to string them together like stories shared round a campfire... or from the easy chair on the porch on a "firefly evening" as my family used to do.

Old 06-23-2008, 02:51 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,751,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdodge04 View Post
I'm staying at a little camp on Great Pond for a week and looking for a place to rent a jet ski for a day or two...anyone from around here know of a place to rent them? I spoke to the people at Great Pond Marina but they don't rent them anymore and couldn't tell me anyone who would...
Perhaps the people at the Great Pond Marina do not want the lovely atmosphere or delicate ecosystem to be spoiled by the irritating noise of jet skis. Maybe you could find some other lake - preferably man-made ( in some other state) that allows jet skis

Old 07-07-2008, 02:18 PM

I can't say I'm surprised that so many people are against jet-ski's as the owners of them are typically ignorant and have no concern for those around them. It's those type of people who ruin things for everyone. I suppose it is somewhat similiar to the stigma that faces many teens...the bad ones make a name for all of them. While on Great Pond a buddy of mine brought his jet ski up and we raced around the pond on it a bit. Any time I saw someone in a canoe I made sure to make my way to the opposite side of the pond so as to not make trouble for the canoe. I had so much fun on the jet ski that I am planning to buy one myself. I can understand why people don't like them, but at the same time I really don't see much difference between a jetski and many of the boats that people are driving around now-a-days.

Do people who don't like jet ski's on the lake also have a problem with those who ride snowmobiles through the woods?

Sorry to drag up an old thread, I just got back to regular use of my computer and am interested in talking a bit about peoples reaction toward jet ski's.

Old 07-09-2008, 05:40 AM

The problem isn't jet skis, snowmobiles or motorcycles. The problem is idiots. It's just that idiots are somehow attracted to these machines. As with many other things, a few idiots make a bad name for the rest of the people.

Old 07-09-2008, 08:52 AM

Ah, I agree. Maybe if there were tougher laws to help crack down on these idiots and keep them either off the vehicles or at least to help keep them under control more people could enjoy the machines :-).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine