Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2008, 06:51 PM

19,963 posts, read 30,059,445 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
I'm a veteran and they asked me to give a talk. I found a kid who could play the flute and near the end of the festivities he played Yankee Doodle. As he got into the song he pointed to the tree line. I emerged from the trees wearing a tricornered hat, pullover muslin blouse, pantaloons and carrying a muzzle loader. I took to the podium and explained about the men at Lexington and Concord and about Dawes ride. His name didn't fit as well as Paul Revere's for Longfellow to immortalize. I told them about how resisting British tyranny was the right thing to do.

I told them about how Joshua Chamberlain and the Twentieth Maine held the line on the left flank at Gettysburg and saved our nation because it was the right thing to do. I named local names. I fired the muzzle loader and the whole audience jumped.

I told them about the Yankee Division in WW1 and WWII and how they stormed the beaches at Normandy because it was the right thing to do. I named local names. Then I took off the muslin shirt and pantaloons to show that I was wearing an olive colored one piece flight suit. I put on my old flight helmet. I told about how the pilots and soldiers fought in Korea and Vietnam. I named local names. I told them that every single helicopter pilot and crewman who fought in Vietnam was a volunteer because it was the right thing to do.

Then I took off the flight suit. Underneath I had on a work shirt and dungarees. I put on a ball cap and looked like anybody in the crowd. I told them we still had courageous patriots right here in Maine fighting for our rights and our homes against those who would take away those rights and drive us all out of Northern Maine. I told them that today's patriots were fighting for us right here in Maine because it was the right thing to do.

There was a very long pause. Maybe they were afraid I would take more clothes off. Maybe they were just stunned. I'm kind of a quiet guy. Maybe they thought I was going to fire the hand gun I was wearing because after all, carrying it is the right thing to do, but I didn't have any blanks. Then they started to clap and cheer and we all went off to eat. It was a pretty good Fourth of July.

That's what it means to me.

awesome post!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2008, 07:24 PM

6,620 posts, read 13,475,437 times
Excellent post NMLM. I wish I'd been there to see you.

Our only plans so far are to pick the youngest daughter up at the oldest daughter's home. We'll probably go out to eat. A lot of what we do will depend on the weather.

Old 06-27-2008, 07:42 PM

1,698 posts, read 3,324,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
awesome post!!!
I agree with you all nice post and perfect for this topic NMLM.

Last edited by peachie_in_maine; 06-27-2008 at 07:50 PM.. Reason: mrs. fix it

Old 06-27-2008, 07:47 PM

323 posts, read 989,551 times
When I was a kid I lived on a golf course in a small town. The fourth was when the town came alive! Parades, live music, playing football on the back nine, hot dogs, fireworks over the lake and family. The whole town turned up including the next towns over it was my favorite time of the year!

This fourth we will have our oldest in town but she will be turning 21 so she plans one skipping the fireworks to go out with friends....I was 21 once
We will go to the parade in our western town, watch the cowboys ride their horses and do tricks, eat a BBQ and watch fireworks shoot over the pretty saguaro cactus while downing a cool one. ( It just never makes sense to me that AZ is in such a serious drought, ready to torch any minute and we still have fireworks...)
God Bless America!!

Old 06-27-2008, 07:54 PM

37,286 posts, read 61,052,246 times
Default Help US servicemembers this July 4th !

This is a good time to remind folks to help out.

Got spare food coupons? and want to assist military families in need? Food coupons are honoured and they are still 'good' for an additional 6 months beyond their printed expiration date, at all commissaries over-seas. Send them to:

Naval Support Act - Naples
Family Service Center
Attn: Food Coupon Drive
PSC 817, Box 10
FPO-AE 09622

Thank you.

Old 06-27-2008, 11:43 PM

467 posts, read 1,862,342 times
When I was a kid, July 4th used to mean so much more. Going to Cape Cod, perhaps, and at least seeing fireworks. Now, especially living in Manhattan, I could care less. I remember last year, our first year here, I was actually trying to get my boyfriend to forget about the fireworks, but at the last minute he remembered what day it was and dragged me there after getting upset at me for not caring and bringing it up. LOL. I really dislike holidays, though.

Also, what does DW stand for?

Last edited by 7th generation; 06-28-2008 at 04:58 PM..

Old 06-28-2008, 04:00 AM

3,231 posts, read 7,436,807 times
DW = darling wife
DH= darling husband
DD= darling daughter
DS= darling son
MIL= mother in law
FIL= I think you've got it from here

DM or PM = direct msg / personal msg

"the cd codes"

Last edited by island mermaid; 06-28-2008 at 04:01 AM.. Reason: spacing

Old 06-28-2008, 04:23 AM

47,916 posts, read 21,907,967 times
(not one to be left out) DP "Dear Partner"

Old 06-28-2008, 07:38 AM

7,395 posts, read 13,053,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canyontothesky View Post
When I was a kid, July 4th used to mean so much more. Going to Cape Cod, perhaps, and at least seeing fireworks. Now, especially living in Manhattan, I could care less. I remember last year, our first year here, I was actually trying to get my boyfriend to forget about the fireworks, but at the last minute he remembered what day it was and dragged me there after getting pissed at me for not caring and bringing it up. LOL. I really dislike holidays, though....

It sounds like you might be ready for a nice old-fashioned 4th of July! Even if you were to drive up to Boston and listen to the Pops on the esplanade with the fireworks going off....it's very difficult to *not* be patriotic during that event!

Old 06-28-2008, 08:15 AM

37,286 posts, read 61,052,246 times
DW = Darned Wife
DH = Dearest Husband

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine