Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2008, 02:48 PM

7 posts, read 16,995 times

Advertisements

Hi, all. I'm a long-time lurker. A little background: I live in NE PA and have watched my small town get over-run by urbanites from NJ and NYC. Individually, most of them are nice people, but they're crushing our area with their culture of paranoia and unfortunately, the teens they bring with them also spread the "gangsta" culture like a disease.

Last year, my wife and I had twin girls (our first and last kids :-) ) and I don't want them to go to school around here. The entire NE region of PA is pretty much going to fall victim to this urban cancer over the next couple of decades.

Twenty years ago, I first started visiting Maine with a friend. As a tyke, his hometown was Boothbay Harbor, so I got to see plenty of the state with an excellent guide. We even climbed up on the roof of one the Victorian vacation houses on the rocky coast to take in the view (something he did as a kid). Great fun. I've visited a few times recently with my wife and we think it would be a great place to return to the type of living we're accustomed to.

I've spent a lot of time going through cold data online on towns, but I'd like some opinions on two towns that look interesting on paper: Winterport and Gouldsboro. Pretty far apart, I know -- but my parents (who don't want to be far from the twins) want to move with us. They fell in love with the Machias area, but unfortunately, I wasn't born rich. My wife and I need jobs.

Sorry for the long post and babble. So, what do you folks think of those two towns?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2008, 03:09 PM

3,468 posts, read 7,237,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackHammer View Post
Hi, all. I'm a long-time lurker. A little background: I live in NE PA and have watched my small town get over-run by urbanites from NJ and NYC. Individually, most of them are nice people, but they're crushing our area with their culture of paranoia and unfortunately, the teens they bring with them also spread the "gangsta" culture like a disease.

Last year, my wife and I had twin girls (our first and last kids :-) ) and I don't want them to go to school around here. The entire NE region of PA is pretty much going to fall victim to this urban cancer over the next couple of decades.

Twenty years ago, I first started visiting Maine with a friend. As a tyke, his hometown was Boothbay Harbor, so I got to see plenty of the state with an excellent guide. We even climbed up on the roof of one the Victorian vacation houses on the rocky coast to take in the view (something he did as a kid). Great fun. I've visited a few times recently with my wife and we think it would be a great place to return to the type of living we're accustomed to.

I've spent a lot of time going through cold data online on towns, but I'd like some opinions on two towns that look interesting on paper: Winterport and Gouldsboro. Pretty far apart, I know -- but my parents (who don't want to be far from the twins) want to move with us. They fell in love with the Machias area, but unfortunately, I wasn't born rich. My wife and I need jobs.

Sorry for the long post and babble. So, what do you folks think of those two towns?

The choice of the Winterport locale does present the choice of alot of jobs in the Bangor area. Housing could be affordable in the areas away from the river.

Gouldsboro is pretty, but jobs may be more scarce. It would depend on what you want to do.

Old 06-26-2008, 05:10 PM

7,395 posts, read 13,096,282 times
I agree, what do you do for work and how far would you be willing to commute? I love both areas, and personally would choose Gouldsboro if you could make it work. There are some good parcels of property for sale, and you would be coastal if that's your preference. I believe the property values there will continue to appreciate as more people begin heading in that direction. Winterport is very nice too, and if you choose that area for work I don't think you'd regret it at all. I just will always chose that salt air smell if I can! I agree with Austin though in that jobs may be scarce in Gouldsboro, depending on what you do. We're actually not able to be on the coast right now, but have a house in Eastport. We moved to Calais because of work and the better school department, and then when we were able to financially we bought a house in Eastport and are working on it as time and money allow. If you were to move to Winterport, you may find yourself in a situation financially where you could get something in the Gouldsboro area in the future. I guess what I'm saying in a long dragged out way is that just because you buy in Winterport doesn't mean that you'd be giving up the idea of Gouldsboro for good.

Last edited by mollysmiles; 06-26-2008 at 05:22 PM.. Reason: spelling ;)

Old 06-27-2008, 01:36 PM

7 posts, read 16,995 times
Thanks very much for the replies. It's pretty much what I thought, but I was hoping Ellsworth might provide jobs near Gouldsboro, as Bangor does for Winterport.

I have a more specific question. I understand if no one here knows the answer. Apparently, the Gouldsboro Grammar School was closed because of mold and there were plans as of 2007 to build a new one. Does anyone know if the new school was approved or if it's currently being built?

Old 06-28-2008, 08:52 AM

1,594 posts, read 4,094,896 times
I agree that Gouldsboro is nice, but in the current economic climate and energy situation, finding a good job and a home as close as possible to it should probably be priorities. I don't know what sort of work you do, but the odds are better in Winterport. There are some extremely nice homes near and along the river, and the Bangor metro area will offer a better choice of employment than you'll find in Gouldsboro.

Old 06-29-2008, 12:06 PM

78 posts, read 161,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackHammer View Post
Thanks very much for the replies. It's pretty much what I thought, but I was hoping Ellsworth might provide jobs near Gouldsboro, as Bangor does for Winterport.

I have a more specific question. I understand if no one here knows the answer. Apparently, the Gouldsboro Grammar School was closed because of mold and there were plans as of 2007 to build a new one. Does anyone know if the new school was approved or if it's currently being built?
Gouldsboro is part of Union 96 and Flanders Bay CSD as well as Peninsula.
Peninsula being Winter Harbor they are building a new Elementary School now do not quote me on this as fact but I believe that school will be open about 2011 if all goes well and Gouldsboro will be a part of it. A little FYI though and many here can confirm this for you Union 96/Flanders Bay CSD are partnering with Ellsworth in the new RSU formation and this is rather complicated to explain to folks so anyone here want to jump in and help me on it I would thank you for it. It was originally just Flanders Bay/Union 96 towns along with Ellsworth but now the Commissioners original configuration is being made for the RSU which is RSU 7 and this will include a lot more towns from diverse cultural backgrounds as well as economic backgrounds and what the state provides each town for funding (all this information you can get from the State web pages under education and it will show you maps of the RSU as well as financial data) Gouldsboro, Winter Harbor and Steuben (the town I live in) will be the hardest hit financially with this RSU so you may want to do your homework on this one before you decide on any town and see the data for each of the RSU's as you may be entering a town that looks nice now but once the RSU goes into play you may find that town is expensive to live in tax wise as well as many other things.

Old 06-29-2008, 10:50 PM

106 posts, read 454,162 times
I lived in Winterport for seven years and loved it. Its a great little town...its got all the little shops you really need right in town: gas station, 2 pizza shops, car wash, small eatery/bar, hair salon. There are no police in town but the sheriff does go through on a regular basis and I believe one of them still lives in town. The town office people are pretty decent and I can tell you, you wont find a better post office staff in Maine. The people in that office are amazingly pleasant and very good at what they do. Other amenities arent that far away either...about 20 mins away in Hampden is the closest good size grocery store, Rite Aid, hardware store, chinese restaurant, Subway, etc. Come winter they keep the roads in good shape so that really isnt a worry either.

School wise....I dont have kids but my best friends who lived there do. They loved the school system in town for their boys. I think once your kids get to 7th grade they go to Hampden Academy which I believe still has a very good reputation. That was one tough thing for my friends when it came time for them to move was taking their kids out of that school...the kids had grown so attached to their teachers. The teacher was so fond of the kids she contacted the kid's new teachers in Southern Maine and told them to take good care of her kids....true story.

Last edited by warpedg; 06-29-2008 at 10:55 PM.. Reason: forgot something...

Old 06-30-2008, 08:30 AM

12,420 posts, read 3,230,916 times
Like the majority is saying...Winterport would be closer to employment opportunites (Bangor). Good luck to you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine