Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2006, 07:39 AM

71 posts, read 421,655 times

Advertisements

After 4 yrs of planning and saving, my family and I will be moving the the Solon/Madison area. We own property in both towns. We have built a log cabin camp which we plan to live in until our full-time home can be built. I would like to hear from anyone from the area that can tell me more about the local area.

I would like to know more about the area schools and if there is a pre-kindergarden in Madison. Also, if no pre-k, are there any preschools nearby? I have yet to really find anything other than a few better advertised day care facilities.

I would like to know if there are ballet schools and a place to take english horseback riding lessons (preferably one with an indoor facility for year-round lessons) in the area.
Also, I have yet to locate a roller or ice skating rink and a movie theater (other than driving to either Farmington or Bangor).

There have been many times while staying up there that I have driven to Skowhegan Walmart just to get a sense of having somewhere to shop. I know there must be other places to buy clothing and shop besides driving to Waterville, right???

Finally, after many trial and errors, we have located a place in Skowhegan that makes decent pizza. However, we have yet to find a place to get a good steak. Any suggestions?

Any and all feedback will be appreciated.
Looking forward to saying good bye to NJ!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2006, 09:08 PM

55 posts, read 412,234 times
freemejersey! I live in the Anson/Madison area and work in the school system in Madison. Yes there is a pre k in the Madison schools. There are a few private daycare/nursery schools in Madison. I can give you names if you request them. There is a Montessori School in Skowhegan. I'm unsure about the ballet but know there are dance schools so I will do a little research for you on that. There are english horseback riding lessons, I will also check that out for you if you wish. Roller skating is quite a distance. Ice skating at Colby College in Waterville is an option which is about 25 minutes away. An outdoor skating rink is in the Skowhegan Fairgrounds near Wal-Mart. There is a movie theater, 3 theaters in Skowhegan, right off the downtown Main Street. There are only a few places to shop for clothing. One is in Madison, a store called Reny's which carries mostly casual clothing. You will need to drive to Waterville, Augusta or Bangor for any big deal clothes shopping, sorry.
A good steak?????????????? HHHHmmmm, try the Heritage House in Skowhegan...or the Granary in Farmington.
Welcome to the area. Sorry to say we won't be around to welcome you as we leave after 30 years for our new home in Arizona in just about 4 weeks. I will try to check this all out for you and sign on again in a couple of days. Let me know if you would like me to get names of daycares, numbers for schools, etc. I will try to get names of dance and riding lessons places for you. What ages are your children or grades in school? You will find the schools here to be very personal and devoted to the individual child!

Old 05-22-2006, 09:57 PM

Thanks for the quick reply AZbound!

So sorry we are going to cross paths this summer but we wish you well on your journey to AZ. As my hubby gets older he can't take the heat and humidity anymore. I guess if I worked in the sun as a mason for 37 years I would be ready to cool off too.

Its funny you mentioned Heritage House in Skowhegan. We just ate there for the first time in April. We had passed by there so many times before, thinking it was too formal a place to go with our kids. It actually was a nice dinner and they were very accomodating to our girls (although dressed in bluejeans, I felt a bit out of place).

I also know of Reny's but haven't visited the store yet. I'm a Walmart shopper here so I tend to steer to the right at the Fairgrounds traffic light!

I would be so appreciative of any information you could provide for me about horseback riding places or dance schools. A list of names is always a better start than just picking from a phonebook.

If Madison has a pre-k, I should be alright then. My girls are 9 and 4. We will be living in Solon most of the first year while our house is built. I am hoping I can get permission to register them in Madison so they won't have to change schools after one year. Especially since my 9 yr old will be entering 4th in Sept and then have to move up to the middle school.

Do you know if Madison has a cross country/track program for girls in 4th grade?
Also, does Madison hire teacher's assistants? Here in NJ almost every classroom has one (another reason we have such high taxes!). I would be interested in applying if they do.

I am so grateful for your reply and assistance.

Thank you. freemejersey

Old 05-23-2006, 10:08 PM

I will check out the info on the horseback riding and dance schools.
The process of seeking to attend another school would involve speaking with the superintendent of schools at both districts. Solon is part of SAD #74 and the superintendent of schools is named Regina Campbell. Madison School is SAD #59 and the superintendent of schools is Sandra MacArthur 207-696-3323, extension 1. I don't believe Madison has a cross country track program for students in the 4th grade, but I could be mistaken. I'll check that as well. There is a strong town recreation sports program in Madison though. YES, Madison hires teacher's assistants, known here as Educational Technicians, more commonly Ed Techs. The school district is also always looking for people willing to serve as substitutes. You could probably count on that between the two districts to sub every day. Of course, no health insurance or benefits for sub positions. If you are interested in being an Ed Tech or sub the number I have given you for the superintendent of SAD #59 is the same number you would call to ask for an application packet. If you think of any other questions, just let me know. Susan

Old 06-09-2006, 09:10 PM

1 posts, read 4,461 times
Default Best things in Skowhegan

Bradley's School of Dance and Sally's top Hat both have good shows
Pendragon Farms and Albertson's for Horseback riding lessons
West Front Market Pizza 474-5013
Al's Pizza for Sandwiches 474-3100
Ken's for fried scallops
Mei Lee Gardens Chinese 474-8307
Steak your own back yard grill marinate the steak in Russian salad dressing
Skowhegan Nursery School 30 years and going very affordable (you don't have to live in Skowhegan and can register anytime)474-8443
Skowhegan Strand Cinema 474-3451
Alice and Company Hair Salon 474-9646
Salon 48 for nails
Variety Drug
Redington-Fairview General Hospital 474-5121
I love Walmart too! Welcome to Maine, bring plenty of bug spray!!

Last edited by skowtownfamily; 06-09-2006 at 09:13 PM..

Old 06-13-2006, 07:38 AM

Thanks for all the info "skowtownfamily"!
We have already discovered the Pizza at West Front Market. It is pretty good considering I'm comparing to my South Jersey/Philly pizzas.

I will definitely check out the horseback riding stables. That's must for my oldest daughter and the ballet studio is for my younger girl.

Have you been to the new Chinese restaurant that recently opened next to the fairgrounds? They serve a buffet but you can order off a menu too. We went there the first week they opened and thought their food was pretty good and they accomodated our children very well.

We will be up there for the summer by 7/1 although we have parked our camper at a campground just outside of Popham Beach State Park. The beach there is beautiful!!! So, we will be back and forth between the campground and our place in Solon. We also enjoy all the events at the fairgrounds during the summer too.

Just curious about your opinion of Skowhegan? How do you think your town is doing? IMO it seems to be turning around a bit from the past years. I remember the first time my husband brought me up in 2002 and we drove through the downtown district. It was quite depressing to me. But that area seems to be buzzing now. I have been really impressed with the "Shop Skowhegan" campaign. I have had to make several large purchases over the past year (new constructed home) and chose to buy some of my furniture and washer/dryer there. The prices were very competitive with the bigger stores down in Waterville/Augusta. I'm also looking forward to see the new playground that is supposed to be built (over by the rec center?)-BTW does the rec center have a pool? I saw the basketball court but didn't know if there was a pool there.

If I will miss anything from South Jersey it will be my Italian Deli, Blue Claw crabs and clams. I've tasted the Maine clams and, well, let's just say I will have to get used to them. Hey, think there might be a market for me to open up a good Italian Deli in Skowhegan-LOL, just imagine good imported cheeses, meats, great tasting soft rolls, stuffed cherry peppers with italian ham and cheese, olive salads, mozzarella balls with roasted red peppers-mmmm.

Our neighbor in town just introduced us to "fiddleheads" this past spring. They were interesting. Every had them?

Take care and thanks again for the information.

Old 06-26-2006, 08:21 PM

1 posts, read 23,217 times
Regarding the riding lessons. There is a hunter barn in Anson, Grass Harp Farm, and a jumper barn in Madison, Morningstar Stables. Both are excellent. Contact me fmi.

Last edited by Gharp; 06-26-2006 at 08:30 PM..

Old 07-09-2006, 11:59 PM

Yum, fiddleheads! With butter and white vinegar.

Old 07-18-2006, 05:02 PM

7 posts, read 27,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemejersey
After 4 yrs of planning and saving, my family and I will be moving the the Solon/Madison area. We own property in both towns. We have built a log cabin camp which we plan to live in until our full-time home can be built. I would like to hear from anyone from the area that can tell me more about the local area.

I would like to know more about the area schools and if there is a pre-kindergarden in Madison. Also, if no pre-k, are there any preschools nearby? I have yet to really find anything other than a few better advertised day care facilities.

I would like to know if there are ballet schools and a place to take english horseback riding lessons (preferably one with an indoor facility for year-round lessons) in the area.
Also, I have yet to locate a roller or ice skating rink and a movie theater (other than driving to either Farmington or Bangor).

There have been many times while staying up there that I have driven to Skowhegan Walmart just to get a sense of having somewhere to shop. I know there must be other places to buy clothing and shop besides driving to Waterville, right???

Finally, after many trial and errors, we have located a place in Skowhegan that makes decent pizza. However, we have yet to find a place to get a good steak. Any suggestions?

Any and all feedback will be appreciated.
Looking forward to saying good bye to NJ!
Shop on the net! You be far more pleased than what you'll find in the local stores in southern or northern Maine. We have a home way up North and the shopping is the ultimate worst! The meats are green. The veggies are stale. Seafood...forget it! And depending whether you're satisfied with your clothes from Wal-mart or Sears, which is fine but you'd fair better than ever on the net or heading into New Hampshire, Mass or Vermont. Good Luck!

Last edited by 3chronicles3; 07-18-2006 at 05:32 PM..

Old 11-19-2006, 01:43 PM

1 posts, read 4,451 times
Default More Suggestions

I highly recommend Bradley's dance school for ballet. I took lessons there for years and they compare equal or better with the quality I have received in other metro areas (Boston, NYC). Plus Bradley is the nicest person and has high quality instruction--also has impressive guest instructors and workshops.

I second the recomendation for the Heritage House. You can't really have a bad meal there. They have great seafood that they get fresh every day, and steaks are good too.

I'd also recommend checking out Lake George if you didn't during the summer. They have lots of easy hiking trails and great views. There's a sandy beach area and lots of grass for kids, bathrooms, etc. They also have a summer day camp and lots of winter activities--good place for snowshoeing, x-country skiing, icefishing.

Mary Ellen Carpenter is good for haircuts in Skowhegan, otherwise I'd drive to Waterville for spa/beauty services to Apollo. Also a great place for a meal at the Bistro.

I strongly disagree with 3chronicles3 below, about the shopping. There are not tons of choices in the central Maine area, but after living in VT for years I can definitely say don't waste your time driving there to shop. You can find cute small clothing shops in the area. Reny's is good for the basics and discounts, you can also try Sign of the Sun in Waterville, there are a few local clothing stores in Farmington, and Griffin's and a new clothing store in downtown Skowhegan.

As for food shopping, I think 3chronicles3 must be speaking about MUCH further north...You can find great fresh seafood in central Maine without ordering it online--when it will probably come from the same place, just take longer to get to you and cost 3 times as much. Skowhegan has a farmer's market downtown Saturday mornings where you can get cheese, bread, meat and veggies. You can also order beef from Sites Farm in Athens. During the summer and fall they also have pick-your-own berries, which is worth it just for the beautiful view from their farm. North Star orchard in Madison is also good for apples and fun for kids.

The rec center doesn't have a pool but you can get a family membership to PEAK across from the hospital in SKowhegan which does have 2 pools and a small fitness room.

Good luck and get a whoopie pie from Steve's Snacks--they are by far the best brand and a Maine classic. Enjoy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine