Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2008, 01:57 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,663,209 times

Advertisements

Everyone who wants to move to Maine is always filled with bright anticipation and bubbling over with the enthusiasm for the promise of the good life. I was just wondering if there were some who may have been disappointed after settling in Maine?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2008, 02:09 PM

2,712 posts, read 5,652,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
Everyone who wants to move to Maine is always filled with bright anticipation and bubbling over with the enthusiasm for the promise of the good life. I was just wondering if there were some who may have been disappointed after settling in Maine?
I am not disappointed, just frustrated by having been -- thus far -- unable to "settle". I know it is only a matter of time, that it will happen; I know I am looking for the needle in the haystack and -- having found one in CO in the 70s, I can do it again -- and much more easily here than in any of the other places I have either lived or considered living recently.

Even as I rail at living -- even temporarily -- in "the most ghetto trailer park" the moment I leave my ghetto, I am content as I go about my business, realizing that -- no matter what I LIVE IN MAINE! the people are great, I love driving through the countryside -- and the woods -- and seeing the flowers and trees I recognize, learning more, watching for turkeys in the road and moose and deer along side. I love that, even after I have sweat through two days in a row, I will sleep well with natural cool air blowing on me and that -- sooner rather than later -- the heat wave will break again.

I have yet to put a baited hook in the water -- or the kayak for that matter, nor have I found a place to pick wild blueberries or cranberries or seen the first of the autumn colors creep into the trees (I wonder, is it a slow and subtle as the spring greening?) or the last of the leaves clinging through the first snowfall of winter -- but that too is a matter of time.

And time I have... the rest of my life.. because "settled" will come and now -- and thereafter -- I will live in Maine.

Old 07-09-2008, 02:12 PM

1,664 posts, read 4,363,162 times
my gal moved there and endured what she's been told was one of the harsher winters in recent years...but she's active and gets out to run and hike a lot. Now that Summer is in full swing, she's beside herself...and so am I after just being there for a couple weeks. She's far from let down at this point, and I guess it remains to be seen for me whenever I get out there.

I still have my reservations about moving there, but I'm not getting any younger, she's The One, and what the heck...l'm able-bodied, debt-free, and willing to work hard and live beneath my means since that's probably what it's going to take.

I'll note that my only experience has been in and around Knox County...so that's limited perspective. There is a TON of houses on the market, most listings under what I call the 'Evil Empire' (Jaret & Cohn). First thought to me is....these are nice properties, why are people selling?

If I had to guess, it's because some of these folks had a 'rose-colored glasses' view of this idyllic life in Maine to live...but then the reality of economics, hard winters and high heating costs set in, and they can't hack it. Or, they bought more house than they could afford, and now they can't make payments and need to get out.

I think a lot of people make hasty emotional decisions about how fantastic life would be in Maine, or the Colorado mountains, and make the big misinvestment and later realize that it's not all it's cracked up to be unless you are willing to deal with the inconveniences that seasons and economic conditions bring. Caveat Emptor....I am doing my homework and setting my expectations accordingly.

Old 07-09-2008, 02:15 PM

12,420 posts, read 3,231,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuffler View Post
my gal moved there and endured what she's been told was one of the harsher winters in recent years...but she's active and gets out to run and hike a lot. Now that Summer is in full swing, she's beside herself...and so am I after just being there for a couple weeks. She's far from let down at this point, and I guess it remains to be seen for me whenever I get out there.

I still have my reservations about moving there, but I'm not getting any younger, she's The One, and what the heck...l'm able-bodied, debt-free, and willing to work hard and live beneath my means since that's probably what it's going to take.

I'll note that my only experience has been in and around Knox County...so that's limited perspective. There is a TON of houses on the market, most listings under what I call the 'Evil Empire' (Jaret & Cohn). First thought to me is....these are nice properties, why are people selling?

If I had to guess, it's because some of these folks had a 'rose-colored glasses' view of this idyllic life in Maine to live...but then the reality of economics, hard winters and high heating costs set in, and they can't hack it. Or, they bought more house than they could afford, and now they can't make payments and need to get out.

I think a lot of people make hasty emotional decisions about how fantastic life would be in Maine, or the Colorado mountains, and make the big misinvestment and later realize that it's not all it's cracked up to be unless you are willing to deal with the inconveniences that seasons and economic conditions bring. Caveat Emptor....I am doing my homework and setting my expectations accordingly.
Houses are for sale all over the state, not just Knox County....where I have lived my whole life. However, some of the houses in Knox County are for sale because MBNA blew out of town and took all their jobs with them before they were sold to BOA. Maybe Boston Financial will help with that situation.

Old 07-09-2008, 02:22 PM

1,664 posts, read 4,363,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mainer61 View Post
Houses are for sale all over the state, not just Knox County....where I have lived my whole life. However, some of the houses in Knox County are for sale because MBNA blew out of town and took all their jobs with them before they were sold to BOA. Maybe Boston Financial will help with that situation.
Boston Financial has the offices in Belfast, right? I wasn't aware of the MBNA/BoA thing. If I'd made a move for a good job, and then that job evaporated...yeah, I'd feel extremely let down. I'm trying to keep my job and relocate it to a telecommuting/home office...this is key.

My gal just started her business last year at the Wellness Center, and while it's doing well right now, we don't know what the broader economic shocks will mean in the next few years to her customer base and peoples' ability to pay for medical care. She just might feel pretty let down by then if she can't cover the costs of running her business...time will tell!

Old 07-09-2008, 02:27 PM

406 posts, read 1,654,456 times
Nope. Still love it here.

Just bought a pellet stove and 3 tons of pellets. Just built a room in our "barn" (glorified large shed). Having a new metal roof installed in a week. Making friends (with guns <wink>). Got us some goats and a little rescue puppy. Painted the interior of our house and got it all cozy. Having fun.

Our life is very very different compared to Cape Cod. Very. I don't miss it. The Cape will always be "home" for me because I was born there and lived there for over 40 years, all my family is there. BUT, I love Maine. There's no place else I would rather live.

The life you want can be had here if you're realistic and actually know what you yourself want.

Old 07-09-2008, 02:40 PM

1,081 posts, read 1,647,151 times
Maine is whatever YOU decide to make it. That's the beauty! Been here through the last two 'wintahs' and still loving it!

From what I read, the housing thing is nation wide- Not just Maine!

Old 07-09-2008, 02:43 PM

12,420 posts, read 3,231,155 times
[quote=Shuffler;4392444]Boston Financial has the offices in Belfast, right? I wasn't aware of the MBNA/BoA thing. If I'd made a move for a good job, and then that job evaporated...yeah, I'd feel extremely let down. I'm trying to keep my job and relocate it to a telecommuting/home office...this is key.

No, Boston Financial just purchased the MBNA building in Rockland....promising 250 jobs. We'll see. Athena Health is in the Belfast building.

Old 07-09-2008, 04:13 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,663,209 times
Well the neighbors moved today. All the way to Yarmouth! Five miles away. They never did sell their house but had a lot of lookers. They figure they may have to rent it soon as they can't keep two mortgages going.

Old 07-09-2008, 04:49 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,483,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
Well the neighbors moved today. All the way to Yarmouth! Five miles away. They never did sell their house but had a lot of lookers. They figure they may have to rent it soon as they can't keep two mortgages going.
Ooooh, yeah, those 2 mortgage payments make ya feel like Stretch Armstrong!

Now, if they had not done all that high-priced landscaping and had paid a little more attention to the housing market before deciding to ask $600,000 for the house, it might have sold!

I ask you, how much monthly rent do they need to ask, to cover the mortgage on that thing? What's their back-up plan if nobody can afford to pay that kind of rent?

They may be lucky to get someone who can just afford to heat it this winter! Talk about feeling "let down"...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine