U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2008, 06:59 PM

2,059 posts, read 3,951,242 times

Advertisements

this morning i had to go to NH .on the way back the traffic was not bad.this guy fron NJ was passing every one.i could see him comeing up behind me so i got in the slow lane to let him go by.(i like those guy's that drive 80 they go by you and 10 or 15 ml up the road they are pulled over )any ways their was a truck much like mine but with a plow frame on it.all of a sudden the NJ guy see a cop in a turn off just wateing.it was just like slow motion that guy pull'd in the slow lane right in front of that big ford and piled the breaks on.
the guy in the truck didnt have a chance to hit the breaks and bang he slambed him hard.i piled on my breaks and headed for safer realestate.when it was all over sitting side the road was a audi with its trunk in its back seat and a ford f-350 with a bent plow frame.so we waited for the cop to show up he saw the whole thing.but he still needed statements.so he asked me what did you see.well i said i see that truck try to eat that car.he said no realy ok i said you that guy from jersy was doing fine till he saw you then he jumped in front of this truck and piled on the breaks the truck didnt even get a chance to hit his breaks.ok and then what happend?parts every where i said.
and he looked at me and said from the car or the truck.i said i would imagine form both i didnt have time to take inventory on the part's.he says ya im sorry that was kindof a stupid question but we have to ask it any ways.ok he say's what did you do.i hit my breaks and headed for the other side of the road.so who was at fault he say's. i said you.he said what do you mean me?you spook"t the jersy dude and he panicked.he was fine till he saw you.
so this man from NJ cut in front of this truck and hit the breaks.yup i said his falt.what would you have done if you were in the truck ?i said pullder back in 4 wheel drive and hit the throttel.he we'r done have a good day.you to sir.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2008, 07:04 PM

1,220 posts, read 3,715,210 times
LOL. New Jersey people so often get crazy when they are in a state the size of Maine. They think their life is on the line unless they drive ninety five miles per hour to the next rest area where there are lights!

Old 07-09-2008, 07:36 PM

566 posts, read 1,342,457 times
lol ranger! Haven't we all seen these types of drivers? I am like you, I will pull into the slow lane and let them go by. I figure if they want to go 20 miles an hour over the speed limit I am fine with it. They can go first and if there happens to be a police car waiting to catch someone then let it be the guy that just passed me. I love the way you told your story...too funny. Hopefully everyone was okay.

Old 07-09-2008, 07:44 PM

1,175 posts, read 2,330,504 times
Best part of your story was when you told the cop it was his fault. Those guys lurking along side the roads are a real detriment when traffic is moving along well. Everybody slams on the brakes, even the ones who aren't speeding. I would have liked to have seen his face when you told him he spooked the Jersey guy!

Old 07-09-2008, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maine4.us View Post
Best part of your story was when you told the cop it was his fault. Those guys lurking along side the roads are a real detriment when traffic is moving along well. Everybody slams on the brakes, even the ones who aren't speeding. I would have liked to have seen his face when you told him he spooked the Jersey guy!
he had a prity good sence of huemer till i said that then he didnt.

Old 07-09-2008, 08:16 PM

8,767 posts, read 17,499,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acadianlion View Post
LOL. New Jersey people so often get crazy when they are in a state the size of Maine. They think their life is on the line unless they drive ninety five miles per hour to the next rest area where there are lights!
They're probably right 'cause all those nutty Mainers are totin' guns ya know!

Old 07-09-2008, 08:36 PM

19,881 posts, read 14,311,890 times
Default out of state drivers imitate locals

Ever try to drive the limit on rte 180 or 181 near Green Lake for example, keeping in mind a respect for the local laws and have a Maine plate riding your bumper? The rule not the exception.
Bad drivers everywhere you find them!

Old 07-09-2008, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
Ever try to drive the limit on rte 180 or 181 near Green Lake for example, keeping in mind a respect for the local laws and have a Maine plate riding your bumper? The rule not the exception.
its call'd drafting it saves gas.

Old 07-09-2008, 08:56 PM

1,004 posts, read 2,204,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
This happens to me everytime I drive in Maine. Rude people right on your a$$. I always just assumed that it was transplants from MA.

Old 07-09-2008, 09:46 PM

1,122 posts, read 3,896,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bignhfamily View Post
This happens to me everytime I drive in Maine. Rude people right on your a$$. I always just assumed that it was transplants from MA.
Great story Ranger!!! Good for you. Glad you didn't end up part of this mess. I travel up and down 95 every week (still can't get used to those new exit numbers) and see plenty of Smokies nabbing folks. I'm just cruising along trying to save gas $$$.

But I have to say, Bignhfamily, I lived in Maine many years before I got unexpectedly transferred (career-wise) to MA, and although at first I thought I 'd rather chew my own paw off than get trapped into staying so far south , I have to say --- reluctantly mind you --- that once I learned how to navigate MA roads, I found that the natives there are often exceedingly civil. If you drive like you know how to drive, they'll often stop and let you go first in jammed situations even when they have the right of way, just to be decent and keep traffic moving. Not in Boston itself of course! There it's every citizen for him or herself. But in other areas, yeah.

I still travel to MA every week and find that more people drive aggressively along the back roads of ME than they do in MA. In the areas I frequent, at least.

When I'm coming home on the back roads, the biggest pains in the you-know-what behind the wheel, speeding and passing in no-passing zones and generally being accidents waiting to happen, have Maine plates, not out-of-state plates. They tailgate something fierce, quite aggressively too. When I slow down for parts of the road that haven't been repaved since 1950 (the real suspension-busters) ME people behind me often go nuts and stamp on the gas to pass --- and usually illegally. Sorry, but me and my car are buddies and don't plan to part company for quite some time, so yeah, I'm going to slow down to 35 in the 45 mph zone to avoid losing my tie rods and ball joints in the moon craters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
View detailed profiles of: