Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2008, 06:56 PM

277 posts, read 891,260 times

Advertisements

Hey guys,
I keep getting those things in the mail that have a key in them and a winning number. When you scratch off the little thing it shows that your number matches the winning number.....WHAT A SURPRISE! It says that your guarenteed to win a small Wal-Mart gift card at the very least. I take these with a grain of salt, but I have to ask if anyone else has actually returned one of these to get your "prize". My girlfriends brother almost had a heart attack on me when I went to throw the junk in the shredder...

-Chad
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2008, 09:40 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,745,110 times
Hmmmmmm

Sort of brings to mind the old saying about "There is no such thing as free lunch."

Old 07-11-2008, 09:53 AM

37,442 posts, read 61,352,754 times
Rolled tight along with newspapers and magazines, they make a 'log'. Soaked in water for a day, and set out to drain and dry out. They will burn!

Sometimes water-soaked paper logs will have a tendency to go out after a while. I soak ours in kerosene, so they burn a bit better.

During the course of an entire year, our mail-person is kind enough to deliver to us enough fuel to give us hundreds of paper logs.

Free fuel!

Old 07-11-2008, 10:18 AM

2,059 posts, read 4,201,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
Rolled tight along with newspapers and magazines, they make a 'log'. Soaked in water for a day, and set out to drain and dry out. They will burn!

Sometimes water-soaked paper logs will have a tendency to go out after a while. I soak ours in kerosene, so they burn a bit better.

During the course of an entire year, our mail-person is kind enough to deliver to us enough fuel to give us hundreds of paper logs.

Free fuel!
and it keeps the chimney clean to.

Old 07-11-2008, 10:54 AM

16,662 posts, read 15,654,903 times
You mean the key I got in the mail won't really start a car?

Old 07-11-2008, 01:15 PM

3,061 posts, read 8,360,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
You mean the key I got in the mail won't really start a car?
I am sure it will if you show them the right amount of money.

Old 07-11-2008, 01:50 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,840,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdodge04 View Post
Hey guys,
I keep getting those things in the mail that have a key in them and a winning number. When you scratch off the little thing it shows that your number matches the winning number.....WHAT A SURPRISE! It says that your guarenteed to win a small Wal-Mart gift card at the very least. I take these with a grain of salt, but I have to ask if anyone else has actually returned one of these to get your "prize". My girlfriends brother almost had a heart attack on me when I went to throw the junk in the shredder...

-Chad
Do what I did a couple of times. Had to go to town anyway and had a few minutes to kill so I took my winning key and went to the dealership and sat in a nice new truck with a price tag that was more than I paid for the house I owned. When the salesman came along I told him I needed the right keys so I could go home because they must have sent me a faulty one. He tried to be nice an explain that it was to a lock box in the showroom and I at least won a gift card. I laughed at the joke, and replied that if I had won a gift card don't you think they would have just mailed that instead of the keys to my new truck, then asked him to once again go get my regular keys. He explained that the keys were in the lock box and I had to see if my key fit the lock box. With an astonished look on my face I thanked him profusely for taking such good care of my truck keys, but really I had to get back home for my meds and he should really be a good boy and go get them for me because they didn't mail lock box keys, but truck keys instead, and they must have made a mistake and sent the wrong ones because they didn't work in the ignition. This continued for a good 10 or 15 minutes, I about had the guy ready to shoot me or break down and cry before I cracked apart and started to laugh, I left with a gift card for a few bucks and a really pissed off look from the salesman. It was more than enough for a soda and bag of chips for the ride back home.

Did that twice before they stopped sending me keys in the mail. Don't know why, it was a fun time for all involved. OK maybe not the salesman, but I had a ripper of a good time.

Old 07-11-2008, 02:34 PM

2,712 posts, read 5,652,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
Do what I did a couple of times. Had to go to town anyway and had a few minutes to kill so I took my winning key and went to the dealership and sat in a nice new truck with a price tag that was more than I paid for the house I owned. When the salesman came along I told him I needed the right keys so I could go home because they must have sent me a faulty one. He tried to be nice an explain that it was to a lock box in the showroom and I at least won a gift card. I laughed at the joke, and replied that if I had won a gift card don't you think they would have just mailed that instead of the keys to my new truck, then asked him to once again go get my regular keys. He explained that the keys were in the lock box and I had to see if my key fit the lock box. With an astonished look on my face I thanked him profusely for taking such good care of my truck keys, but really I had to get back home for my meds and he should really be a good boy and go get them for me because they didn't mail lock box keys, but truck keys instead, and they must have made a mistake and sent the wrong ones because they didn't work in the ignition. This continued for a good 10 or 15 minutes, I about had the guy ready to shoot me or break down and cry before I cracked apart and started to laugh, I left with a gift card for a few bucks and a really pissed off look from the salesman. It was more than enough for a soda and bag of chips for the ride back home.

Did that twice before they stopped sending me keys in the mail. Don't know why, it was a fun time for all involved. OK maybe not the salesman, but I had a ripper of a good time.
that is a hoot! I have not got one of those mailings in years, but if I do, I will remember this... (heck, maybe it will be the same dealership... Can I tell them my "cousin" sent me?

Old 07-11-2008, 02:51 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,840,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starwalker View Post
that is a hoot! I have not got one of those mailings in years, but if I do, I will remember this... (heck, maybe it will be the same dealership... Can I tell them my "cousin" sent me?
Sure you can, but you have to pronounce it "Kusent" and stick your front teeth out of your head just a bit as you say it.

Old 07-11-2008, 08:58 PM

277 posts, read 891,260 times
Haha that is a good story Bydand! I have received 4 or 5 of those mailings now, they get put in the shredder most of the time, but I had to prove to my brother-in-law that these things are nothing more than a gimmick.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
View detailed profiles of: