Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2008, 12:36 PM

312 posts, read 725,758 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maine4.us View Post
Ayup, I was, but I thought his commment was pretty funny, so I was gonna let it lie....

So, how is the house coming along for sale??? I am on the plane tomorrow morning for Eastport!!!! Hooray!!!
We're gettin' everything ready and it should be able to start showing by August 1st.....we're pricing it very aggressively and it's a nice house for the money and in a nice area, and the only other house in the area priced the same looks like a piece of crap (at least from the outside), so the realtor is pretty confident it will sell quickly....

Hey, have a GREAT time going to Eastport tomorrow and say hi to MenME for Dano and I and that (keeping fingers crossed) we'll be up to stay soon!

*tap*
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2008, 04:41 PM

2,356 posts, read 5,717,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labamba View Post
Molly, are they driving Volvos?
I don't understand that?? I get the volvo line joke...but I don't get the relationship between anti developement and volvo's.

Old 07-24-2008, 04:58 PM

2,054 posts, read 4,577,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flycessna View Post
I don't understand that?? I get the volvo line joke...but I don't get the relationship between anti developement and volvo's.
As soon as I get a new camera, I will post photos. One picture is worth a thousand words.

Greenville and Rangley are at the northern terminus of abuse by the Volvo and Forester driving anti development crowd. These two vehicles represent the major mode of carbon emission transportation for them.

On a similar note, I discovered a couple more of Roxanne's gates at the terminus of the Bob Young road last week.

Old 07-24-2008, 07:04 PM

129 posts, read 246,600 times
A word on Emma's blog. She is a Mainer (Bangor) from birth and has never lived further west than that. In many of her blogs she says things just to get a rise out of her reader, and she's good at it. The next week she may say the opposite. Eastport has maybe 50 artists in its population and you could count on your fingers the number who actually make a living with their art and maybe on your thumbs the artists who live here year round and make a living on their "art" alone. That doesn't make it an artist's community. There is a wonderful Art Center with music, drama, film and many classes. There is the Tides Institute which is a couple's dream of a way to make a living in Eastport and celebrate the art and creativity of the area. Eastport attracts artists because it is so beautiful in it's own way, and it's cheap to live here, so a person can have an undemanding part-time job and spend most of their time pursuing what they love. I have a cousin in Oakland, CA. He is a cabinet-maker/musician and his wife is a librarian. They will never own a house or have their own yard in CA unless they win the lottery. The house where their kid's bedrooms are may be taken and sold by their landlord next month. The woman of my dreams and I saw 2 herons down at Shackford cove on our morning walk yesterday and we got stuck there for 10 to 15 minutes, instead of in a traffic jam. It's different. If art is creativity or exercising the creative process, then most of the population here has been practicing the art of living for a few hundred years. The 2 ladies who have taken Dano and Tap's deck this week have hardly moved.

Old 07-26-2008, 06:15 AM

4,112 posts, read 6,518,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcarim View Post
I'm throwing my name into that hat! With the house relisted and still no showings, D, you may just beat us all!
Thanks for the chuckle.. I'll still think that you will win,el... guess time will tell!

Old 07-26-2008, 09:58 AM

278 posts, read 699,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flycessna View Post
I don't understand that?? I get the volvo line joke...but I don't get the relationship between anti development and volvo's.
As dmyankee illustrated, Volvos (and now, a few other models) are often the vehicle of choice of the trust-funded, environmentalist demographic that generates consternation with us less-educated, poorer natives who struggle to survive on the remnants of Maine's natural resource-based economy. They frequently are involved in issues that we perceive as "anti-development". Does that help?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine