Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2008, 04:53 PM

6,631 posts, read 13,541,520 times

Advertisements

Missed whoopie pies? Are you allowed to leave the state without eating a whoopie pie?

Chopsuey (aka goulash) is simple. I use spaghetti sauce, sautee onions, mushrooms and bell pepper with hamburg, and add it to cooked pasta.

We know we're having eggs, ham and sausage, muffins, bagels and toast for breakfast both days. I'll bring peanut butter, jam and cream cheese. I'll make the muffins before we leave.

The second night we'll use one of the more substantial meals suggested. By then they'll have had two days in the park and be ready to settle down to something that fills them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2008, 05:06 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,217,900 times
i love cooking steaks and ribs, and burgers when camping,,,with a portable propane grill.

bring oranges, raisins, and soft fruit for snacks,,

Old 07-14-2008, 05:23 PM

48,129 posts, read 22,002,483 times
When I was a kid we made "Mulligan Stew" over t he camp fire....I loved it . I don't know what Mulligan stew is supposed to be but for us it was hamburg and onion fried together, then cut up potatoes and carrots and any other vegetables....like celery or summer squash even....all added to the pot with a couple of cans of tomatoes....some water..cook till done. We loved it with lots of white bread! Do you remember Bond Bread.

Old 07-14-2008, 06:41 PM

566 posts, read 1,417,728 times
Kabobs. We used to make them ahead, put them in the cooler and pop them on the grill. A great meal, easy to make make before and easy to pack, and always a hit.

Old 07-14-2008, 06:42 PM

444 posts, read 928,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
When I was a kid we made "Mulligan Stew" over t he camp fire....I loved it . I don't know what Mulligan stew is supposed to be but for us it was hamburg and onion fried together, then cut up potatoes and carrots and any other vegetables....like celery or summer squash even....all added to the pot with a couple of cans of tomatoes....some water..cook till done. We loved it with lots of white bread! Do you remember Bond Bread.
My mom used to make that when we were kids. Yummy! She called it "shipwreck"

Old 07-15-2008, 12:15 AM

323 posts, read 993,025 times
One thing our family does is stick a pork butt in the oven and bake until tender, shred and add BBQ sauce. Then we bring it along with us with some good buns and it fills us up after a good hike.

Another fun food is Omelettes.
Crack two eggs into a quart size ziplock. Shake to combine. Add your choice of ingredients, cheese, ham etc. Shake to combine. Make sure all air is out and zip up. Drop into boiling water and boil for exactly 13 minutes, you can fit 6 to 8 omelettes in a pot. Open bag and you have an instant omelette!

Here is a good girl scout dessert..tried and true-
Ingredients
4 large ripe bananas
2 chocolate candy bars or 1/2 cup chocolate chips
1/2 cup mini marshmallows
aluminum foil
Directions
1Peel the banana down just one side, leaving the skin attached at the bottom of the banana so you can fold it back up later.
2Give everyone a spoon and have them hollow out the banana like a canoe.
3Don't take out all the flesh, just create a little trough for the chocolate and marshmallows.
4You can eat what you hollow out.
5Break up the chocolate bar into small pieces and stuff the chocolate into the hollowed out bananas, along with the marshmallows.
6Fold the peel back up over the banana and wrap tightly in foil.
7Bury the bananas in hot coals for 2-3 minutes.
8Take out and let cool for a couple minutes.
9When they are still warm, but not so hot they burn your hands, unwrap and enjoy!

Have a great time!

Old 07-15-2008, 03:31 AM

1,698 posts, read 3,338,109 times
Well, I wasn't sure of the "cook out ideas", but this one I saw on a morning show.

For dessert they bought the Pillsburry cinnamon rolls (they are in the frig section of your grocery store)
and took the dough of each roll and wrapped it around a fire stick and each kid cooked there own "cinnamon twist."

I've tried it. It takes about 5 or more minutes to cook and it keeps them busy... and you can't beat something different they can cook.

Old 07-15-2008, 07:14 AM

1,122 posts, read 4,109,236 times
I'll second the suggestion to make stew. No measuring necessary, and once the veggies are peeled and the meat browned, no more attention is required until it's done, beyond the occasional stirring. Kinda nice when it can get so busy around camp. Ingredents are easy too: decent grade stew meat, onions, potatoes, carrots. Brown the meat and onions a bit in the Dutch oven, in any kind of butter or oil you may have, add water, lots of carrots and potatoes, splashes of pepper and salt, and whatever spices you like (bay leaf, allspice, sage, thyme, cloves....however you normally prepare it). You can avoid bringing your spice cabinet by putting all the necessary spices for a single dish into a ziploc bag and labelling it. Then at camp, just pull out the bag and your foods and you're ready to roll.

Pancakes can be lunch or dinner too. Make them heartier by adding bran or flaxseed meal, walnut pieces, blueberries (what else?) Again, all dry ingredients can be measured into and stored in a covered bowl or ziploc and labelled so all you need to do is add the milk/eggs/water, whatever's necessary for your particular recipe.

Fried potatoes and eggs is a filling dish. You can use mashed or boiled potatoes. Cut up some onions, saute in pan, when golden-brown add potatoes, salt/pepper/paprika, cook over medium heat. Turn several times till all are heated through, then crack some eggs over the potaoes, let cook a bit, turn until all are cooked.

Tip for adults: Coleman Drip Coffeemakers for the campstove are *fabulous*. When the last glass top for one of my percolators broke, I grudgingly bought the Coleman drip coffeepot, thinking wow, how decadent is this. Well - it not only makes WOW coffee, but it's easy, and can also be used in the house when the power goes out (if you have a gas stove, or can set up the campstove in a safe place).

Old 07-15-2008, 09:43 AM

12,420 posts, read 3,231,835 times
You'll love Ledge Falls Take some already made at home chop suey. Then just heat it up on the Coleman. I've done that and it's always worked out well. Have fun!!

Old 07-15-2008, 09:44 AM

12,420 posts, read 3,231,835 times
[quote=Maine Writer;4455053]Missed whoopie pies? Are you allowed to leave the state without eating a whoopie pie?

Chopsuey (aka goulash) is simple. I use spaghetti sauce, sautee onions, mushrooms and bell pepper with hamburg, and add it to cooked pasta.

We know we're having eggs, ham and sausage, muffins, bagels and toast for breakfast both days. I'll bring peanut butter, jam and cream cheese. I'll make the muffins before we leave.

Okay, just saw this..Wow...my mother always called it goulash. hahaha We used to make fun of her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine