Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2007, 08:32 AM

71 posts, read 172,894 times

Advertisements

My husband and I have decided to move our family (2 girls, ages 9 & 8, 2 beagles, one fat cat) ASAP to the Bangor area. My sister and brother in law live in the area, and are supremely happy with their decision to relocate. We currently live in a "city" on the northern border of New York, so close to Canada we have an international bridge a mile away. That being said, we are well accustomed to bitter cold, blinding snowstorms, and an extreme lack of winter sunshine. So Maine weather doesn't scare us

What is concerning me is the comments I've read here about the lack of jobs. I'm a cynic at heart, so I've taken these facts/opinions with a boulder of salt. Our area is very economically depressed, and though our "city" is the only one in the county, those of us who are undesiring of a fast food-type career must drive at least 45 minutes away for a decent paying, simple little office job. This cuts deeply into the bottom line, and we're often left thinking "What's the point?".

So, after lurking here for a week gleaning all I could from your posts, I felt compelled to speak up and ask directly what I was trying to decipher from your comments. Can we reasonably expect to find gainful employment that will allow us to keep a decent roof over our heads, pay our bills on time, and keep the kid's/dog's/cat's/ bellies full? We aren't seeking a glamourous, thrill a minute lifestyle, just a little fun once in a while without having to sacrifice the essentials. That's my only source of angst concerning this move.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2007, 08:41 AM

Just to clarify, I'm looking for something in the clerical/accounting/tech support area. My husband currently runs the warehouse at a local furniture store, drives a forklift like no one else, and can do just about anything else he puts his mind to.

Old 01-22-2007, 09:56 AM

2,098 posts, read 6,317,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hlmagan View Post
What is concerning me is the comments I've read here about the lack of jobs. I'm a cynic at heart, so I've taken these facts/opinions with a boulder of salt.

So, after lurking here for a week gleaning all I could from your posts, I felt compelled to speak up and ask directly what I was trying to decipher from your comments. Can we reasonably expect to find gainful employment that will allow us to keep a decent roof over our heads, pay our bills on time, and keep the kid's/dog's/cat's/ bellies full? We aren't seeking a glamourous, thrill a minute lifestyle, just a little fun once in a while without having to sacrifice the essentials. That's my only source of angst concerning this move.....

That is what we are looking for and it is our same concern with what we're hearing about Maine. On one hand, you hear that it's basically the closest place to "perfect" you'll ever live, then on the other hand, that's "if" you can find a job...

Old 01-22-2007, 05:09 PM

165 posts, read 412,538 times
Going on the lifestyle you said you're looking for, and the vocational backgrounds of you and your husband, the answer (IMO) is yes. You can find work here.

Maybe I have a different perspective, having lived long-term in so many different places, but I regard the opportunities here as being better than in "urban" areas - if for no other reason than the very people who do the hiring. They tend to get to know you by name, not employee number. If you want a mortgage, or funds to start your own business, you get to talk to the actual people who will approve and hold your loan.

And I laugh sometimes at those who present Maine as though it's Green Acres, and Arnold is the Governor or something. I live near Bangor, and I carry a cell phone that gets 4 bars of reception. My son comes to visit and has his pick of several gyms to work out at. We have hospitals and lawyers' offices, restaurants and grocery stores, major universities and shopping malls. We have an international airport, cab service, furniture stores, construction firms, banks, auto dealerships, highways, hotels, motels, and even indoor plumbing.

All those things (including the indoor plumbing - it's 10 feet from me right now) are within 15 minutes of the fantastically-priced home I bought here, and I'm not even in the city of Bangor. Just close by.

You won't get rich here, most likely. But then, being financially rich is something of a redundant experience once you live here, because all the good stuff that this state has to offer cannot be purchased with any amount of money.

Have a nest egg when you arrive, and then start looking. IMO, if you want a good job and failure is not an option, then you'll find a good job. In this place, much of life is about your attitude.

BTW, I'm truly surprised at the comments about closed up, closed-minded Mainers - one of the hardest things for me to get used to here was friendly, kind people who really do care about how you're doing. That, and re-learning how to give back a friendly wave or a smile to people as you pass/drive by. It may be that there's an investment of the self in a place like this, that others don't want to spend.

If you want the small-town feeling, and you're ready to actually be a part of a community, then come on up here. Hope you make it by the spring, because it truly is wondrous.

Old 01-22-2007, 05:22 PM

Thank you very much MsJL, I appreciate the information. We don't have much of a nest egg, since living where we do doesn't allow for much savings. I may be coming alone at first, to establish us in the area before the entire family makes the move. I'm hoping to find a job before I leave NY. Nothing like trying to learn my way around while job hunting

One more question: Is it difficult to find an apartment that allows dogs and cats? The cat is fixed, declawed, and very well litter trained. Both dogs are males, fixed, and kennel trained so they're not roaming the place when no one is home. Think this will make a difference??

Old 01-22-2007, 08:51 PM

22,858 posts, read 28,106,226 times
Quote:
Just to clarify, I'm looking for something in the clerical/accounting/tech support area.
I suggest you check out the University. There are also several employment agencies in the area, and I see tons of clerical/accounting jobs advertising. Many of them start out as temporary, yes, but many times a temp job leads to a permanent position once you prove yourself.

Please keep everyone posted on your move and your impressions of Bangor. We're visiting in a couple of months ourselves. Maybe we'll be neighbors?

Old 01-23-2007, 07:22 AM

1,220 posts, read 3,920,236 times
Quote:
Thank you very much MsJL, I appreciate the information. We don't have much of a nest egg, since living where we do doesn't allow for much savings. I may be coming alone at first, to establish us in the area before the entire family makes the move. I'm hoping to find a job before I leave NY. Nothing like trying to learn my way around while job hunting

One more question: Is it difficult to find an apartment that allows dogs and cats? The cat is fixed, declawed, and very well litter trained. Both dogs are males, fixed, and kennel trained so they're not roaming the place when no one is home. Think this will make a difference??

Everything that has been said before is "spot on". Unfortunately, you will probably have a VERY hard time finding an apartment that will allow the pets, and relatively few rental dwellings will welcome them also. Good luck!

Old 01-23-2007, 07:33 AM

4,975 posts, read 11,666,903 times
Quote:

Check craigslist. You can narrow your search down to rentals that allow pets. Last time I checked, quite a few rentals did allow dogs and cats. Good luck!

Old 01-23-2007, 07:23 PM

276 posts, read 846,057 times
Quote:

A girl I work with is looking for an apt. right now and has a balck lab. She has not had much luck at all. Most of the apts don't allow pets at all.

It's funny, people are busting the doors down to get here, and I am busting them down to leave because I spend every last cent to survive.

Old 01-23-2007, 07:34 PM

165 posts, read 412,538 times
Quote:

Probably, if you have references - as will an extra bit of a security deposit you might want to offer to the landlord...? It most likely won't fly in an established apartment complex, but landlords who rent houses or duplexes can be negotiated with. Be creative.

While you're being creative, think about purchasing your own duplex and renting out one side. There's plenty of those on the market right now. I don't know how you're situated financially, but even if you can't swing the down payment (although remember, local banks are willing to get creative, as well), you can look for a rent-to-own (lease/purchase) property. Or if you go for a fixer-upper, you can also bargain for a good deal.

Bangor is a beautiful city, but be sure to check out Orono, Old Town, and Veazie. Old Town, especially, has some fantastic values in housing right now. (It also has a Dairy Queen Brazier that's open year-round.)

Quote:
I suggest you check out the University. There are also several employment agencies in the area, and I see tons of clerical/accounting jobs advertising. Many of them start out as temporary, yes, but many times a temp job leads to a permanent position once you prove yourself.
He's right about all of that.

Quote:
Please keep everyone posted on your move and your impressions of Bangor. We're visiting in a couple of months ourselves. Maybe we'll be neighbors?
I hope you have a good visit here - and you, too, keep us posted? Maine was a daydream for me a year or so ago, and I'm always curious about what happens with the people who plan on moving here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine