Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2008, 01:51 PM

37,461 posts, read 61,388,499 times

Advertisements

I had seen two holers before.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2008, 01:55 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,667,921 times
You just have to watch the two story ones ....especially if you're on the first floor!

An old country song (or it should be)

She said she needed room to breathe and wanted some time to roam
So I built an upstairs on the privy now I'm waitin' for her to come home!

Old 07-24-2008, 02:13 PM

2,054 posts, read 4,578,554 times
The two and three hole, one board seats make excellent mirrors when sanded and varnished.

I have made wonderful finds of coins, whiskey samplers, poison bottles, cures and other eclectic treasures from defunct outhouses. Residents would often use the holes for dumps also.

Some of the best finds, besides the old farm dumps were the old outhouses pits. The tallest and thickest stands of tree around where the main buildings and dairy parlors stood, will usually marked these spots at the old farmsteads.

Old 07-24-2008, 03:29 PM

2,059 posts, read 4,202,567 times
7th that musta been a real close family to have three holes.i can imagine the conversation all three would have first thing in the morning.so what chorse you gona do first?well you to are gona milk the cows while i churn butter.pass me a med corn cob will ya.this one? nope the other one man ill be glad when they invent toilet paper these cobs are hell on the hemroids.ya you and me both clem. well been a good chat bill and frank see ya out their ok clem see ya.

Old 07-24-2008, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RANGER.101ST View Post
7th that musta been a real close family to have three holes.i can imagine the conversation all three would have first thing in the morning.so what chorse you gona do first?well you to are gona milk the cows while i churn butter.pass me a med corn cob will ya.this one? nope the other one man ill be glad when they invent toilet paper these cobs are hell on the hemroids.ya you and me both clem. well been a good chat bill and frank see ya out their ok clem see ya.
When we were stationed in Europe, we had to opportunity to tour a few archaeological sites.

At the Roman sites a common feature was the public lavatory. They used a piece of sponge on the end of a short stick. They would dip it in a jar with vinegar. Instead of corn cobs or TP, they used a sponge on a stick.

Not only was there no privacy, you shared the sponge.

Old 07-24-2008, 04:23 PM

1,180 posts, read 2,490,411 times
That would probably give you a real pickle pucker factor....

Old 07-24-2008, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
When we were stationed in Europe, we had to opportunity to tour a few archaeological sites.

At the Roman sites a common feature was the public lavatory. They used a piece of sponge on the end of a short stick. They would dip it in a jar with vinegar. Instead of corn cobs or TP, they used a sponge on a stick.

Not only was there no privacy, you shared the sponge.
nope not gona happen not usin the sponge.id whate till the person next to me wasnt lookin and use his robe or sleve or something.

Old 07-24-2008, 10:08 PM

I did read somewhere that using sponges without the vinegar was a prime source of spreading intestinal worms.

Much better to use corn cobs in my mind.

Old 07-25-2008, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
I did read somewhere that using sponges without the vinegar was a prime source of spreading intestinal worms.

Much better to use corn cobs in my mind.
when i was a kid i useto remember some old people that to me seemd onrey and mean.but i gess if i spent 60 yrs whipeing my a** with a corn cob id be alittle mean to.

Old 07-26-2008, 04:19 AM

1,698 posts, read 3,337,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7th generation View Post
My place still has a 3-holer on the second floor! Look out below....!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fort Lauderdale mermaid View Post
LOL, a 3-holer? Who DOES that? That my friend, is not a team sporting event. Wouldn't one have preferred a more private seating area?

Also, which room pray tell, lies just below your lovely seating area? Please tell me it's a shed off of the main house and not the dining room?
I'm with Mermaid~ and NMLM
( who I watched for yesterday ahem to offer bb pie too at the code name N&C.. but, that's another thread) hehe
I too am shy to share the double duty chair. I enjoy the outhouse scene solo.

Even in camp days.. I don't believe I ever said and or meant it literal when I said to a girl friend,
"Have to go to the bathroom."

.....that was for us to leave the boys, go to the bathroom or aka outhouse, giggle about them and returned only applying another layer of strawberry lip gloss during the whole ordeal.

I'm also looking back and guessing the 3 holes were intended for peeking in and seeing which side wasn't a bigger land fill.

Oh by the way... on 191 there is a small home that still has no bathroom but an outhouse around the rear.

Last edited by peachie_in_maine; 07-26-2008 at 05:49 AM.. Reason: a
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine