Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2008, 10:49 AM

9 posts, read 24,037 times

Advertisements

Its going to be awhile till I move. These 2 semesters are going to be spent getting my medical office assistant certificate so it can hopefully improve my chances of getting hired at a hospital. Then I hope to go into the Navy Reserves or Air force Reserves.
I am looking to move to New England or East Coast. I still need to finish college and I need the college to have a nursing program. I am looking for a small town that is affordable and yet has a college preferably 20 mins away. Also, I would love if there were different activities to do everyday and not run out of things to do. For example visit Washington D.C for a day or New York City. I love swimming, camping, horseback riding(I am really big into horses), history, and fishing.
I have been looking at travel guides and research on the internet. But I feel like its not helping me. So I hope you all can help me.
Thanks a bunch
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2008, 11:03 AM

277 posts, read 893,900 times
Hmmm, I can't give you exact details and I probably won't be of great use but I'll give you all the information I have. I believe Husson College in Bangor has a nursing program and there are plenty of towns within commuting distance if you didn't want to stay right in the city or on campus. Bangor has its fair share of things to do, however you wouldn't be making day trips to D.C. or NYC from there as its too great a distance.

The University of Maine also has a Nursing School which I believe is part of the Orono campus.

I found this link (http://www.allnursingschools.com/find/Maine/nursing-schools.php - broken link) on Google maybe it will be of some use to you.

Hope this helps a little bit.

Old 07-20-2008, 11:11 AM

3,231 posts, read 7,484,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdodge04 View Post
Hmmm, I can't give you exact details and I probably won't be of great use but I'll give you all the information I have. I believe Husson College in Bangor has a nursing program and there are plenty of towns within commuting distance if you didn't want to stay right in the city or on campus. Bangor has its fair share of things to do, however you wouldn't be making day trips to D.C. or NYC from there as its too great a distance.

The University of Maine also has a Nursing School which I believe is part of the Orono campus.

I found this link (http://www.allnursingschools.com/find/Maine/nursing-schools.php - broken link) on Google maybe it will be of some use to you.

Hope this helps a little bit.
Hey, what a great link! Maybe this poster would like to consider a fully accredited online university wholly owned by The Washington Post????

Hey, I'm not advertising! It was merely a suggestion.

Old 07-20-2008, 11:11 AM

2,054 posts, read 4,591,901 times
UMO and Husson have excellent nursing programs. Both have Navy and AF affiliations. Don't waste your time with the MA certification. Just come up and get your CNA. There are tons of openings for techs.

Lots to do in the immediate area and beyond. Be aware that school will take up 90% of your free time.

Old 07-20-2008, 11:26 AM

9 posts, read 24,037 times
Thanks! I may have to live there for a year though to be considered for in state tuition.

Old 07-20-2008, 11:41 AM

2,054 posts, read 4,591,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephstar View Post
Thanks! I may have to live there for a year though to be considered for in state tuition.
Live for the year, while you take some basic courses through the Community College at 1/4 the price. Good luck.

Old 07-20-2008, 11:56 AM

1,973 posts, read 5,238,514 times
Hello steph and welcome to the forum.

USM in Portland has a School of Nursing, one of my clients is a part time faculty member there. Boston is 2 hours by car, 2.5 hours by train and NYC is 5+ hours by car.

Old 08-02-2008, 03:13 PM

73 posts, read 148,533 times
The Portland area is great. There is USM and lots to do in the area. As for fishing and getting outdoors, you can find that all over the area. Good luck in your searching.
Sue

Old 08-02-2008, 07:59 PM

7,395 posts, read 13,136,741 times
And you can be within 20 mins of Portland and still be in a small town

Old 08-02-2008, 08:01 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,726,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollysmiles View Post
And you can be within 20 mins of Portland and still be in a small town
Yes... Pownal comes to mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine