Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2007, 07:21 AM

48,133 posts, read 22,004,457 times

Advertisements

I am surprised if there aren't many black bear in Maine, how do you keep them from crossing the border? Maybe they look for the "Bienvenu au NH" at the borders and stay over there? the bears keep moving southward and into developed areas in NH and are frequent guests on peoples decks, they help themselves to the bird feeders and my friend had one rip up the leather seats on her car while it was helping itself to her groceries before she could get them into the house.

I was stopped by a large black bear in the middle of the road, she just stood there staring me down....started to leave and then came back and held her ground.....then she was joined by a cub from the bushes on the side...she and the cub continued to stare me down and she looked a bit frantic....like a parent in the supermarket line with an impossible child...she watched the cub scamper off to the other side but she stood there in the middle....clearly something wasnt right....and then a second cub came out and she and the laggard paraded off to find the first cub and disappeared.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2007, 07:22 AM

2,724 posts, read 6,425,582 times
I had read of a group of students looking for evidence of mt.lions in the state:
http://www.boston.com/news/local/maine/articles/2007/12/17/students_hope_to_prove_existence_of_mountain_lions _in_maine/ (broken link)

Old 12-28-2007, 07:30 AM

455 posts, read 1,228,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpurvis View Post
Being from Florida, we have our share of things here such as poisonous snakes, cougars or panthers, (actually they are protected) we have panther crossings here. I always wondered who told the panthers where to cross the road, alligators and all such things that can be harmful if provoked. We do have black bears here too cause I have seen them on seperate occasions.

My ?? is, does Maine have anything like this that one should look out for? My niece was telling me of one such animal, but I can't remember the name. It was kinda like a cross between a beaver/cat/weasel looking thing. We saw it at the museum in Augusta. Sorry I can't remember the name. But I guess they say you should not mess with these.

I have seen a fisher cat. It was in York county (southern Maine) when my dad's horse came down on it as it was in the pounce position. But, only that one in the 40 years I was there. I have never heard of any other event such as that in that area anyway and my family has been there since York was settled and is still there. Maine has nothing to worry about like Florida does. The worse thing that will bite you is the mosquitos and black flies.
It really is a great place to be and "The WAY LIFE SHOULD BE"

Last edited by Abbymoulton; 12-28-2007 at 07:31 AM.. Reason: spelling as usual

Old 12-28-2007, 07:35 AM

2,054 posts, read 4,579,285 times
The Fisher is about the only thing that will overturn and eviscerate a porcupine in short order. Very mean.

Old 12-28-2007, 07:43 AM

175 posts, read 420,329 times
Maine has nothing to worry about like Florida does. The worse thing that will bite you is the mosquitos and black flies.

Hey if that is all we have to worry about, sure will be nice huh? Are the mosquitos like the ones here? Out where I live, they are awful. Some of them are pretty huge too

Old 12-28-2007, 07:44 AM

2,724 posts, read 6,425,582 times
Elston,Maine has a black bear population that exceeds 22,000.
We also have the best biologists in the US,as far as the reproductive habits,hibernation,diseases and all associated traits of this bear.
Our state biologists are contacted by other state agencies throughout the country with questions regarding this animal.
An interesting fact is when the sow goes into hibernation if she hasn't stored enough fat (2"-4") and is in jeopardy of not surviving,her body will absorb the fetus one at a time to ensure her living through the winter months.
Black bears do not truly hibernate. On fairly warm days,they will leave the den and look for food.
In Yellowstone certain grizzly bears will search out black bear dens and kill the hibernating black bears. This anomaly of nature was recorded by fish and wildlife officials tracking radio collared bears.

Old 12-28-2007, 08:08 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,684,164 times
A fisher is not a member of the cat family. It is a member of the weasel family along with the mink and pine martin. An ermine is just a weasel with his white winter coat. We have a large and growing bear population. There are no poisonous snakes in Maine although there are stories from hundreds of years ago about rattlesnakes in southern Maine. I believe it dates back to Commodore Ezek Hopkins' battle flag which was the well known "Don't Tread On Me" flag with the coiled rattlesnake on it. Old Ezek was the first commodore in the US Navy. The "colonials" told British soldiers there were rattlesnakes behind every stone wall and if they got bitten they would die a horrible, agonizing, lingering death. They told the Hessians the same thing. There are no poisonous snakes in England or Germany so those soldiers were particularly terrified of snakes.

In Europe the kings of old fought wars by lining their soldiers up in rows and shooting at each other until one side surrendered. Those tactics continued in Europe right up until WWII. Americans didn't think much of those tactics and we fought from behind trees and stone walls. The British thought that was unsportsmanlike. They lost.

I fly old Ezek Hopkins' flag at my home on special occasions.

Old 12-28-2007, 09:03 AM

455 posts, read 1,228,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpurvis View Post
Maine has nothing to worry about like Florida does. The worse thing that will bite you is the mosquitos and black flies.

Hey if that is all we have to worry about, sure will be nice huh? Are the mosquitos like the ones here? Out where I live, they are awful. Some of them are pretty huge too
They aren't as big as here, but just as much of a bother. But, from mid-Maine area north the black flies are really awful at times. We went to look at land in Cheryfield years ago and you couldn't walk and talk cause your mouth would be full of the things. It was awful....but that was the only time I ever had that kind of trouble with them. In Cape Neddick they have what we called "no-see ems" You feel them biting (not bad) but can never see them. Lots of memories of them. Believe me, Maine is GREAT and I do believe you will love it, if you can get used to the winter. The cold is different than anything you ever experienced here in Florida. I Love it and can't wait to get there again.

Old 12-28-2007, 09:27 AM

175 posts, read 420,329 times
Yes, no see ums. Those are here too and I hate those things. Just like you said, you can't see them, but they sure bite the tar out of ya.
I know the beach has them bad, but I have them even at my house at times and we are 25 miles from the beach, so they travel far.
Yes, regardless, I am still looking foward to the new life there, bugs and critters and all. And the snow too. I may freeze my fanny off at first, but, am still looking forward to it.

Old 12-28-2007, 10:30 AM

139 posts, read 362,745 times
//www.city-data.com/forum/attac...1&d=1198862674

//www.city-data.com/forum/attac...1&d=1198862815

//www.city-data.com/forum/attac...1&d=1198862921

Here are some pics of what we have here in Maine. Totally harmless and make nice pets as well!!!

Adam
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine