Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2009, 03:15 PM

2,059 posts, read 4,203,168 times

Advertisements

maineah condas live in northern maine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2009, 09:58 AM

37,468 posts, read 61,396,384 times
I have been seeing a great many Northern Red-bellied Snakes [Storeria occipitomaculata].

6 to 8 inches long, and fairly harmless.

Old 12-04-2011, 09:20 AM

1 posts, read 1,398 times
I live in Merrill, Maine not too far north of Baxter State Park. We have moose, bear,coyotes, lynx, rarer Canadian Lynx and fishers..... some have even meandered up on our property and it is usually when you least expect it they appear these elusive animals. So dang rarely do I have my camera ready and at hand. Just this last spring we had 2 young bulls walking up our driveway in the early dawn by the time I grabbed the camera they were off loping back into the forest. Sightings of Moose are usually dusk and dawn and black bear dusk. The deer and bear love the wild apples so they frequent our rural area that is comprised of mixed forest and fields. We have sighted snakes similar in markings to timber rattlers but are garter snakes. My grandson said he saw a nice sized 5 footer running through our forest on Dudley Ridge this last summer. I have seen smaller sized garters that like the ledge areas. I for one am grateful there are no timber rattlers reportedly up in Aroostook county for I love to trudge unhindered in our forest. I use to live in California and rattlers were a problem for hikers I will never forget my startling experience stepping on a log in California's Plumas National Forest and hearing that familiar rattle and then seeing the snake...scary indeed thank goodness I stepped on the log not over that time! I know that snakes are excellent at keeping the rodent population at bay....but all the same I just HATE snakes! Hope they are right that poisonous snakes are extinct here for the canopy is so dense..hope greenhouse warming doesn't send them this way is all I can say!

Old 12-04-2011, 01:40 PM

885 posts, read 1,495,158 times
When I first moved into my camp and started doing post and sill work I discovered a family of snakes liviving under my place. No idea what variety but they were about a foot to a foot and a half long and up to 2 inches in diameter. They seemed harmless until I saw one climbing my exterior wall going towards an open window leading into the camp.....sorry end of the snakes....

Old 12-07-2011, 05:06 AM

827 posts, read 1,672,705 times
Back in the early 80's I was at a small woods fire in August, and stepped on a snake. He bit thru my pants [no turnout pants then] and sank his fangs in my lower leg. I grabbed his head and another firefighter took him and hung on. He looked like a timber rattler and I looked at the bite, 2 holes in my leg. We got looking at him and he opened his mouth YUP he's a timber rattler alright. I ended up in the hospital sick as a dog for a few days but survived. They DO have Timber Rattlers in Sounthern Maine folks [just very rare.] The reason it didn't bother me when he struck is I've had snake hit me before [I lived in the woods as a child and had been bitten several times, guess I couldn't get the idea in my head to leave em alone]

Out here in Texas I don't mess with their snakes. [It's the scorpions I really hate]

Old 11-02-2015, 11:14 AM

747 posts, read 839,672 times
To anyone that things garter snakes won't bite has never raked wild blueberries. When you step on them or rake into them by mistake they will strike. Perhaps not poisonous, but they leave a nice welt on your leg or arm regardless.

Old 11-02-2015, 12:00 PM

37,468 posts, read 61,396,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRlaura View Post
To anyone that things garter snakes won't bite has never raked wild blueberries. When you step on them or rake into them by mistake they will strike. Perhaps not poisonous, but they leave a nice welt on your leg or arm regardless.
Bite them right back then.

Old 11-03-2015, 08:51 AM

810 posts, read 852,020 times
The garter snakes are also known to pee on you and it is nasty smelling. I don't have direct experience but a friend told me this. I have picked many snakes over the years and I have never been bitten or peed on. Now a lizard is a different story

Old 11-03-2015, 09:10 PM

3,925 posts, read 4,130,367 times
Back in PA, I used to find big snake skins in the cabin. In the winter, we always knew when a snake had moved in with us. When we came out to the cabin on weekends and there were no mouse turds on the stove or sink....we knew why.

But they were black snakes.

They can be scary though. I saw one one time chasing something in the woods. It was shaped like an S with the head up about six inches from the ground, then a 90 degree bend on the snake body down the 6 inches, and then another 90 degree bend on the body and the rest of the snake. And it was moving at about a light jog. It was scary to look at even though it was harmless to me.

Old 11-04-2015, 03:36 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,222,115 times
we don't have any harmful snakes...

the biggest snake I ever saw was at a golf course,,,and I killed it with my 5 iron...

something about snakes....I just either dislike/primal fear...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine