Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2008, 05:40 PM

37,273 posts, read 61,027,360 times

Advertisements

If they removed the tall fence from the bridge it would lower the population of mental patients.

Old 10-07-2008, 05:44 PM

2,059 posts, read 4,185,660 times
i think every one on probation should have to whear a shock coller and have it programed so that they can go to work and go home but if they are not where they are suposto be zapppppp useing gps i think it would work that would end alot of crime in augusta.and other places.

Old 10-07-2008, 05:53 PM

7,058 posts, read 9,026,084 times
I've been to a number of cities and worked the night streets of Boston for over a decade. Cities collect the nutballs and other detritus (and I mean this in the nicest possible way, I'm just not in the mood to be "Politically Correct"), because this is where most of the freebies are- services, shelters, handouts, etc.

The only city I can recall *not* seeing this, is Quebec City. I wonder what they do with them?

Old 10-07-2008, 05:54 PM

37,273 posts, read 61,027,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RANGER.101ST View Post
i think every one on probation should have to whear a shock coller and have it programed so that they can go to work and go home but if they are not where they are suposto be zapppppp useing gps i think it would work that would end alot of crime in augusta.and other places.
A larger part of the problems in Augusta, are with a different portion of the Augusta people. Those people who were elected or appointed. Those people also need collars.

Old 10-07-2008, 07:43 PM

86 posts, read 226,308 times
Haha....

I like all of the ideas above.
Perhaps the officials should have let be the original new bridge, the one without the suicide fencing.
It was much more pleasant to look at anyhow.

Old 10-08-2008, 11:24 AM

808 posts, read 1,145,332 times
There are 165 registered sex offenders in August. When about 1 in every 112 people in a town are sex offenders that are living in the community it's not going to be a huge surprise to have that high a number of rapes.

Old 10-08-2008, 12:45 PM

7,395 posts, read 13,050,846 times
Centaurmyst.... we've had a number of discussions on here regarding the registry. It may prove eye opening to you to search for one of those threads and review it. Every person listed on there is not quite what you'd expect to find.

I'm also incredibly tired of the Augusta bashing.

Old 10-08-2008, 01:04 PM

I'm currently in college in Social and Human Services. I took a class on Sexual Abuse and Trauma so I'm very familiar with how the registry works and the kinds of crimes it covers. Maine, in comparison with other states has a much lower crime rate than most other places. Augusta is likely only getting spanked because it's political season and that is where all of the politicians hang out, lol. I have nothing against Augusta.

Old 10-08-2008, 01:16 PM

7,395 posts, read 13,050,846 times
Good, I'm glad then that you understand that some of the crimes that lands one on the registry have little to do with "sex"

I have nothing against Augusta either. We have one person in particular spending a great deal of time on here bashing it. It's getting very old, very quickly!!

Old 10-08-2008, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollysmiles View Post
Good, I'm glad then that you understand that some of the crimes that lands one on the registry have little to do with "sex"

I have nothing against Augusta either. We have one person in particular spending a great deal of time on here bashing it. It's getting very old, very quickly!!
Well, a sex offense isn't "sex" anyhow, it's a crime. Sex offenses include everything from violent rape and torture to fondling oneself in public, peeping, etc.

For every sex offender that is listed on the registry there are several more who have yet to be caught commiting these kinds of crimes. Since Augusta is the capital there will be a higher number of such offenders in that town. Whenever you have a higher number of offenders in one town you are going to have a higher number of those kinds of crimes.

Does that mean Augusta is a bad place? Of course not...it simply means that it's good to know if there are higher rates of any particular crime because then you will be better able to take extra care to protect yourself from any additional risk, regardless of how slight that may be.

The higher rate may also be because Augusta is doing a better job at getting these crimes reported and prosecuted than some other areas, and if that is the case then it would be a compliment to Augusta.

On town bashing...no one should be doing that...because ALL towns have their issues, including that of whoever is bashing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine