U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2008, 12:46 PM

5,054 posts, read 11,699,326 times

Advertisements

I know every area of every state has varied costs of living. How about your corner of Maine? Inquiring minds want to know!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2008, 02:09 PM

3,386 posts, read 6,500,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcarim View Post
I know every area of every state has varied costs of living. How about your corner of Maine? Inquiring minds want to know!

This question has no answer. It varies as to how anyone wants to spend their life.

Old 08-03-2008, 02:13 PM

Folks tend to come around here sharing vague generalizations and make sweeping comments about Maine being "unaffordable", so I thought maybe those who are actually living there and not startving to death may want to share some facts and figures. If not, then that's ok, too!

As I stated, this information varies with each state, AND each area of each state, so, of course, varied information is fully expected.

I don't think anyone is looking for "THE" answer.........just SOME answers.

Comparisons......just comparisons.

Old 08-03-2008, 02:43 PM

3,386 posts, read 6,500,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcarim View Post
Folks tend to come around here sharing vague generalizations and make sweeping comments about Maine being "unaffordable", so I thought maybe those who are actually living there and not startving to death may want to share some facts and figures. If not, then that's ok, too!

As I stated, this information varies with each state, AND each area of each state, so, of course, varied information is fully expected.

I don't think anyone is looking for "THE" answer.........just SOME answers.

Comparisons......just comparisons.

Okay... okay....
Here on the coast I've seen people get by on less than $10 grand and a trust fund...

Actually there is one lady I know that probably makes less than $20,00 and makes do for herself. Some might say she lives hermitish, but so.

Old 08-03-2008, 02:56 PM

6,314 posts, read 12,305,851 times
I have friends living well on around $20,000 a year. They have a mobile home that's paid off. They drive paid off vehicles and are doing at good job at being self sufficient. Then there are my six figure income friends with two new vehicles every three years, doing a lot of traveling and eating out, jet skis, boat, snowmobiles, home on the lake that isn't paid off and such. The $20k friends take a picnic to the lake and spend the day fishing and swimming. The $100k friends go out to breakfast, pick up lunch at the store, spend the day boating and jet skiing and eat out on the way home. I think it mostly depends on what you want to be able to have and do and what makes you happy. The $20k friends look down on the $100k friends and vice versa. It's kind of disheartening that they're like this but their goals are so different I don't think it will ever change.

Adding that both families are equally happy with the choices they've made.

Old 08-03-2008, 03:08 PM

Now, THAT speaks volumes!! So, it's not so much that Maine is "unaffordable" and you can find a better quality of life elsewhere, but rather depends heavily on your definition of "quality of life".

I think we can just close this discussion right here!!

Old 08-03-2008, 03:13 PM

33,360 posts, read 54,779,404 times
We have neighbors who:
are two adults and two teenage daughters,
own one acre,
a single wide mobile home,
and two vehicles.

He works seasonally through the summer 6 to 8 months each year for $10/hour; and she works part-time [20 hours a week] for minimum wage.

So he may bring in $6k to $10k, and she may bring in $7k; so they are supporting themselves and raising two teenagers on $13,000 to maybe $20,000 / year.

$20,000 divided by four = $5,000 a piece maybe.

Old 08-03-2008, 03:21 PM

My pension is very close to minimum wage, and my Dw works part-time at a grocery store.

We have no mortgage, a few vehicles, we are yet building our home, and trying to establish a farm. Last year our farm income grossed less than $1,000

Our youngest son just graduated highschool, and our eldest son just returned home [to lick his wounds from a failed career, before he tries again]. So while last year we were a three person household, we may be a four person household this year.

You can do the math.

[In the interests of full disclosure, I do own an apartment building in Connecticut. We do not earn enough money to afford to live in Ct, so we do not live there any longer. That property generally pays for itself, and it is a good investment. though it adds nothing to my pocket.]

Old 08-03-2008, 03:23 PM

On the other hand, we do have two spare beds, and a surplus of food.

And a surplus of trees for firewood [U - cut and U - haul],

If anyone is in need of either.

Old 08-03-2008, 03:33 PM

264 posts, read 710,443 times
I love this post. I always take posts about $$ with a grain of salt. It ALL depends on HOW people live, how people are happy and how well people use the money they have.

Where we live in S. Jersey. A 2 bedroom townhouse thats 1100 sq feet, has absolutely no front yard (just a driveway to park and a walkway from the front door leading to the sidewalk), and the backyard has a small deck to sit on with about 10 X 10 grass leading to the fence trapping in the yard behind the deck. They are selling for about 170,000. The taxes are almost 5,000 (right under right now) a year.

Now, 2 familes.... both have the same mortgage (within $50.00) and about the same taxes, both have 3 kids plus 2 adults in house

one making 100K a year-- 2 paid off vehicles
--eat out a ton, always spening money, have thousands worth of CC dept that keeps rasing, complain they are so broke-- like new stuff, like spending $, love extravagant vacations, could not explain where all the $ goes to

one making 40K a year -- 2 paid of vehicles
--eat out on rare occasion as special treat, watch money, wait for sales but always get what needed, use coupons for groceries and stock up when on sale saving a ton, have a little CC dept but not much, mostly use CC and pay off, can do special trips when they come up, kids don't hurt for anything.... although when something breaks down... it uses up that small saved nestegg and must start saving it again----- like a very simple life, do vacations that are simple and family oriented, love the quiet life, know how to watch every cent of their money and know where it goes

Now in this case, these 2 familes.... the

Now.... in this case..... the "poorer" family would actually probably do better no matter where they lived. Its not about how much you make, its about watching where the money you HAVE goes and in what priority list thats important to YOU. You can have 200K people unhappy saying they are poor because they want MORE.... and then you can have 25K people being happy with exactly what they have and not yearning for anything. Both couples can live within the same city....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine