Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2008, 07:37 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,673,204 times

Advertisements

"Am I right in thinking that the Allagash Wilderness Waterway was not put into complete receivership of the National Park Service, because the People of Maine wanted to call the shots as far as access?"

You betcha!! We have lost a lot of access in the last 35 years. The environazis want us to lose what little we have left. I have a picture of my two sons and I doffing our hats in respect at Joe McKeel's grave on the Allagash. People used to be able to drive there. I never did. We always arrived by canoe, but the Ramsey Ledges camp site was one of the many that were accessible by road.

Joe McKeel was killed in a log drive. They didn't have a coffin so they buried him in a salt pork barrel. He's buried there at Ramsey Ledges.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2008, 11:41 AM

12 posts, read 10,915 times
You might want to recheck the status of the bridge by calling the NMW(North Maine Woods).Last time we were up(8/24-8/31),the bridge was still there! We were told the bridge was gone but when we got up there, we drove all the way around to have lunch at one of those campsites and it was still standing and still being used!!!!! Only the NMW's employee's have not been allowed to cross it.They have to park at Red Pine(the air strip and campsite area) and walk their mowers across the bridge to mow the Moody Bridge Campsites there...go figure huh? BUT us ordinary people can drive across...guess its "take your own chance at the bridge collapsing under you and you dying" mentality.A company that was hired to remove the bridge was supposed to begin work on Aug 11th but "something" came up. I can't wait to head up moose hunting and see how much real work they have done.

Old 09-20-2008, 04:59 PM

5 posts, read 15,167 times
The bridge was supposed to start being removed in early August. I was out there in July and met some of the guys who were laying the groundwork for the removal. I work out that way every so often and am being told by management not to use the Moody Bridge route anymore. I'll check with some buddies who are out there to see if its still accessible as of this week.

Old 09-25-2008, 04:59 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,661,299 times
I have it on high authority the bridge is still up and will be passible until at least 9/28. After that it's anyone's guess.

Old 09-25-2008, 05:35 PM

4 posts, read 3,959 times
Default moody bridge

barriers are there, but the bridge is still open due to high water. it should be fixed because its cheaper. but if the natures conservensy can keep you out they will do so at any expense. in my opinion they are the worst thing to hit the nmw. thank you roexanne quimby.9/25/08

Old 09-25-2008, 06:19 PM

We drove across it last year before they shored up the west end of it. It was bouncy but not bad. Since then they shored up that end so it could handle heavier traffic. Now they're going to take it down?? Why? Leave it up What's the harm? If it finally does lose another support then take it down but not until it's close to failure.
As far as the Nature Conservancy goes I think any "conservation" organization should be looked at with a skeptical eye. No one buys land without some ultimate goal in mind. Beyond the cutsey signs at all water crossings I see little impact from the Nature Conservancy owning the land.....so far....

Old 09-26-2008, 03:26 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,482,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
You betcha!! We have lost a lot of access in the last 35 years. The environazis want us to lose what little we have left.
If there's anything good to come of this economic downturn, hopefully it will be that folks no longer have the discretionary income to support these environmental wacko's.

Look closely at the global warming proponents, the recycling fanatics, the environmental and animal-rights activists...down to a person (often a female person), they are white, upper-middle class, white-collar professionals who don't have enough of a life to fill all the spare time they have, when not on the golf course.

Already a bunch of these folks have lost Wall Street and banking/investment jobs. I hate to see anyone lose their job, but if they're going to waste the excess cash making the rest of us miserable just to prove some kind of "point", better they don't have the cash.

Forgive my rant.

Old 09-27-2008, 02:10 PM

4 posts, read 3,959 times
i know people on "the other side " of moody bridge. all their yearly paper work used to come from huber management, now all the papers come natures conservency. years ago we were told NC just took care of the waterways. now they own it and huber works for them. moody bridge is a historic icon to the wood industry and history of maine. to let them take it down would do what they want. keep mainers out of maine!

Old 09-27-2008, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxdwg View Post
i know people on "the other side " of moody bridge. all their yearly paper work used to come from huber management, now all the papers come natures conservency. years ago we were told NC just took care of the waterways. now they own it and huber works for them. moody bridge is a historic icon to the wood industry and history of maine. to let them take it down would do what they want. keep mainers out of maine!
There is another bridge you can take called the Maibec Bridge about 35 miles north of Moody Bridge. The road connects on to the Depot Lake road and allows you to get to the other side of the river where Moody Bridge is now. It's a bit of a round about trip but if you want to access the area you will still be able to when Moody Bridge is gone. Nine mile bridge has been gone since the '70's and the area is still accessible. You just have to use the newer access roads!

Old 10-03-2008, 07:22 AM

12 posts, read 10,915 times
Talking No need for predjudice :-P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
If there's anything good to come of this economic downturn, hopefully it will be that folks no longer have the discretionary income to support these environmental wacko's.

Look closely at the global warming proponents, the recycling fanatics, the environmental and animal-rights activists...down to a person (often a female person), they are white, upper-middle class, white-collar professionals who don't have enough of a life to fill all the spare time they have, when not on the golf course.

Already a bunch of these folks have lost Wall Street and banking/investment jobs. I hate to see anyone lose their job, but if they're going to waste the excess cash making the rest of us miserable just to prove some kind of "point", better they don't have the cash.

Forgive my rant.
Sorry,I have to laugh at the (often a female person).....I am a female person and I hunt,fish and HATE Roxanne Quimby or any other "educated idiot"(man or woman and there are lots of BOTH sexes).They aren't educated at all,those types are often very UN-educated when it comes to those that live in the outdoor world,just as much as the anti-hunters who have never put on hunting gear,sat in a tree stand all day,know how to gut an animal or respect the fact that wild animal food is much better for people than store bought house slaughtered meat.Those UN-educated people eat chicken that are crammed into little cages,poked at and I have seen in chicken houses where a person walks through them,picks up one and all of a sudden rips its little head off...because they said it looks sick..alrighty then..........back to the matter at hand..I was up moose hunting and yes,Moody Bridge was still standing and the landowners aren't the only ones up there that act like jerks,its(some)of the guides who "think" they own the lands and roads they have the "privilege" of riding through or hunting/fishing/guiding on,it isn't called" exclusive rights to".I think its high time ALL hunters/fishermen/women stick TOGETHER,if we pay to ride those roads,buy our hunting/fishing licenses,lets wave and commend the outdoors people for being there and stop trying to push them out too.I have seen it too many times the last few years and that is one sad fact.It doesn't matter the ole mighty BUCK on how much each of us pay to be there,we ALL have as much right as the next guy.Those that harrass and do illegal things should be made to leave and never come back,their camps sit on lands that are leased too.One of the smartest landowners in that neck of the woods some of you know(BLANCHETTE).He didn't join the others:-D. If you want to read some interesting "stuff",here is a link and some good reading : Doing Big Deals in Maine .
Nor'Easter? you sure your not the writer for the Northwoods Journal that was baiting bear on one side of a mountain and an ex-game warden,now a policewoman(notice* woman) was baiting on the other side of the mountain.She shot a 462 lb(apprx).bear.The story went that the bear was pulled from "my" bait site ,over the mountain,to her bait site and then he said "Pretty good for a girl"..LOL! Now thats a funny one! Her "bait" must have been "sweeter" huh? <big winks>
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine