Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2008, 04:55 AM

278 posts, read 699,767 times

Advertisements

We're now #15!

The Tax Foundation - Maine's State and Local Tax Burden, 1977-2008
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2008, 05:16 AM

874 posts, read 1,855,083 times
Nice. That's a ray of sunshine on this gloomy morning.

Old 08-08-2008, 07:18 AM

2,054 posts, read 4,577,484 times
It's still lipstick on the Pig.

They do not account for the fees and the 50 or so I know who live in FL 184 days out of the year.

If the AMA came up with a new way to skew the BMI, the Pig still wouldn't be ready for the thong bikini.

Old 08-08-2008, 07:30 AM

8,155 posts, read 20,999,179 times
Keep in mind that it doesn't always mean your taxes went lower...it can be because - sadly, other's taxes went HIGHER and Maine didn't keep up. (Thankfully)

Old 08-08-2008, 07:38 AM

37,443 posts, read 61,352,754 times
#15 and a 'per capita income of $38,309'

A big change in both.

Man somebody sure can slew numbers around.

'Per capita taxes paid to other states' = $1,135? What is that about?

Old 08-08-2008, 08:19 AM

2,054 posts, read 4,577,484 times
"Here are some examples of the difference between collections (focusing on the tax collector) and burdens (focusing on the taxpayer).
  • When Connecticut residents work in New York City and pay income tax there to both the state and the city, the Census Bureau will duly tally those amounts as New York tax collections, but we will count them as part of the tax burden of Connecticut's residents.
  • When Illinois and Massachusetts residents own second homes in nearby Wisconsin or Maine, local governments in Wisconsin and Maine will tally those property tax collections, but we will shift those payments back to the states of the taxpayers.
  • When people all over the country vacation in Disney World or Las Vegas, tax collectors will tally the receipts from lodging, rental car, restaurant and general sales taxes in Florida and Nevada, but we will use economic tools to tally those payments in the states where the vacationers live."
The Tax Foundation - State-Local Tax Burdens Dip As Income Growth Outpaces Tax Growth

"Each year the Tax Foundation releases state-local tax burdens for the residents of each state. The burdens are effective tax rates calculated by totaling state-local level taxes paid by taxpayers in each state, then dividing by their income. The burdens also reflect the economic incidence of taxes that are commonly shifted to out-of-state taxpayers. This paper will discuss how that analysis is conducted."

http://www.taxfoundation.org/publica...how/22342.html

I will be reading this all weekend to figure more of this out.

Old 08-08-2008, 08:33 AM

278 posts, read 699,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmyankee View Post

It will probably be slightly less depressing than sitting around watching the rain fall. I look forward to reading your analysis.

Old 08-08-2008, 08:40 AM

37,443 posts, read 61,352,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmyankee View Post
"Here are some examples of the difference between collections (focusing on the tax collector) and burdens (focusing on the taxpayer).
  • When Connecticut residents work in New York City and pay income tax there to both the state and the city, the Census Bureau will duly tally those amounts as New York tax collections, but we will count them as part of the tax burden of Connecticut's residents.
  • When Illinois and Massachusetts residents own second homes in nearby Wisconsin or Maine, local governments in Wisconsin and Maine will tally those property tax collections, but we will shift those payments back to the states of the taxpayers.
  • When people all over the country vacation in Disney World or Las Vegas, tax collectors will tally the receipts from lodging, rental car, restaurant and general sales taxes in Florida and Nevada, but we will use economic tools to tally those payments in the states where the vacationers live."

"Each year the Tax Foundation releases state-local tax burdens for the residents of each state. The burdens are effective tax rates calculated by totaling state-local level taxes paid by taxpayers in each state, then dividing by their income. The burdens also reflect the economic incidence of taxes that are commonly shifted to out-of-state taxpayers. This paper will discuss how that analysis is conducted."

BS.

I have owned residential-rental-real-estate in different states at the same time [Ca, Ct, Wa and overseas in Scotland]. Because I was a non-resident of each of these places, I filed each places' non-resident tax forms. I filed their local taxes admitting to that one business that was within their jurisdiction.

All of the stateside taxes began by referring to my Federal AGI, then added a page of math to factor in what activity I had within their jurisdiction.

It is not among my knowledge that any state has a solid picture of what you are truly doing in other states.

It has only gotten worse since the Patriot Act came into place, as now the DMVs all want into the picture. They each want you to establish residency in their state before you can register a vehicle.

Old 08-08-2008, 02:20 PM

2,356 posts, read 5,717,042 times
One more reason to wipe out all income taxes and just have a federal and and state sales taxes. No property taxes either.........no direct taxes at all...Never again file a tax return....get rid of most of or all of the IRS both fed and local. ....i'll keep dreaming and praying for the sun to return.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine