Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should U.S. Senator Susan Collins Attend the Republican National Convention?
No 2 9.52%
Yes 6 28.57%
I really couldn't care less one way or the other 13 61.90%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2008, 07:07 PM

3,266 posts, read 5,631,650 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acadianlion View Post
Well, yes and no. Lessee: staying home will be "giving a vote to the other side"? Ummmm, what "side" is that? Unless you've really been paying attention, you don't know who the "other" candidates are, and therefore the other "side" is only one other person most likely, who is mostly like the side that you don't want to vote for. I don't want to turn this site into a political lecture because there is another place for it, but let's look at some of the options.

There's McCain. Now, I was in the same war he was, and I feel very strongly that he is a very great, and heroic patriot who reached the high point of leadership in his career while he was being brutalized by the North Vietnamese. But I see him as very little different than the flawed politicos that we have, and who have led this country into the serious financial and political mess that it is in right now. Nope. Not gonna vote for HIM.

Then there is Obama. He put up a good show for a while, but when the chips are down, he waffles better than a breakfast cook in a pancake house. In the end, he will do what is the most EXPEDIENT thing to secure his power base, which is basically to rock the boat as little as possible, with the exception of increasing taxes which will hurt everyone...and make no mistake: increases in taxes hurt EVERYONE right in the pocketbook. Nope. Not gonna vote for him. Besides, HIS kids aren't wearing flak jackets while walking down a dusty street in some mud hut village on the other side of the world, so we will continue to muck around in places that we don't understand and our children will bleed slowly into the sand. Nope.

So, who is on the "OTHER" side? And more to the point, if it is raining on voting day, will it be worth the effort to go outside, get wet to vote for him/her? Probably not.

I guess since either a Repub or Dem will get elected one of these 2 would constitue the "other side". The side one would normally not vote for.

I was not wanting to pick sides here.

I am a Reagan conservative. I feel I haven't a good choice as the Rockfellers have taken over the Repubs. Not a whole hill of beans difference between the 2 candidates other than McCain is bad and Obama is worse for me. I will vote because men (and now women) put their butts on the line for my privelege to have a free United States. I don't want to waste the blood of patriots ... rain or shine! Thank you for your service!!!!

Old 08-10-2008, 07:39 PM

1,062 posts, read 1,018,623 times
Well, my vote for the Maine Senate will be a write in, for Hoffman. Who?? Yes, the Independant who has no chance of winning. I'll write his name purely as a statement to the Democratic party who felt the need to go through incredible gyrations to have his name removed from the ballot, in an effort to protect their very marginal candidate. Including taking it to the Maine Supreme Court who unbelievably ruled in their favor. Politics at its worst.

Old 08-10-2008, 09:14 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,752,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTex View Post
. I feel I haven't a good choice as the Rockfellers have taken over the Repubs.
I disagree- I wish the Rockefeller mentality had taken over the Republican party. I used to proudly be a New York Rockefeller Republican!! By that I mean very fiscally conservative and very socially liberal.

Well - what we now have is a Republican party hijacked by both the religious right and the neo-conservative gang of lethal idiots. The party is fiscally not conservative and socially way too conservative, imho.

Old 08-10-2008, 09:37 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,666,326 times
Everyone has their point or passion they feel needs to be represented in our President.
Whether it is something they are fanatic for or fanatically against it really matters to them. Politics has always been about compromise. In the past several election cycles though it seems there has been very little room for compromise and differing opinions.
Even the words of President Bush to our allies leave little room for compromise when he tells them "you're either with us or you're against us."
Extremists will never be happy unless everything is their way. Extreme envrionmentalists have been successfully convincing government officials that our existence itself threatens the planet. We all have a right to exist and thrive.
Corporations are extreme in the way they use people for gain without regard for their contributions or ability to retire with dignity. They are only concerned with the bottom line for "the investors".
Pro choicers and anti abortion rights radicals have been at each other's throats for generations with no end in sight. I'm a "right winger" on most issues but believe those choices are personal and are no one else's business.
No one seems to know how to stem the flow of illegal aliens into the USA or what to do with the millions we already have.
The war served it's purpose and perhaps it's time to let Iraq fend for itself.
We need to develop some sound energy policies. Filling our tires and installing windmills is not going to do squat.
The next President will face tough challenges who ever he is. Neither one of the candidates impresses me. I don't think they can do much of anything about these issues nor will they try after the speeches fade away. If we really wanter to have a tribute to our war heroes perhaps we should not insult their efforts by running the terrible candidates BOTH major parties have thrust upon us this year. Dumb and Dumber. Thanks for nothing Democrats and Republicans.
Somehow the reasonable people in this country must find a path through the middle of all of these problems and ignore the far left and far right without identifying with them.
I am not an ultra conservative because I think the second ammendment needs to be left alone any more than someone who may want equal rights for gays is a far left whacko.
These things are not unreasonable nor necessarily mutually exclusive.

Old 08-10-2008, 09:46 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,747,524 times
Seeing as we've left Susan Collins in the dust several posts ago, let's close up shop on this one, remind everyone about the Politics forum, and apply the trusty old padlock.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine