Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2008, 02:40 PM

1,179 posts, read 2,476,696 times

Advertisements

You can't 100% depend on the internet when the power is out either. If the power is out between the telephone office and your house, even with electric power at your home, you won't have any internet. The telephone company maintains battery backup for the voice circuitry, but they may not maintain backup for the internet. Lots of times in Florida, my power is on, but the DSL internet is down because of a power failure between my house and the telephone office. Cable modems don't fare any better as they are also dependent on power between the internet source and your home. Our power goes out quite often in Florida, and we are in a suburb and lots of our power is buried. There is no where that you can be guaranteed computer access 100% of the time Even if your provider had a 99% up record, that would still allow for 72 hours of internet down time a year. A generator installed by a competent electrician is the best bet, but that still would not guarantee the internet being up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2008, 03:17 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,565,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tapestry View Post
Maineah,

Do you know what the specific model number and wattage is of the LP Guardian generator your MIL has? Also, when you said the whole system is expensive, how expensive do you mean?

This sounds like the kind of generator Dano and I should get when we move to Eastport shortly. I looked on Home Depot's online website and they have a bunch that say LP Guardian with a bunch of different wattages, etc., so I was confused as to which one your MIL has. Sounds like a good one from what you said!

Thank you!

*tap*
Their generator is 50 kilowatts I believe.. I do not know how much the generator itself was but I know they had to cut through rock to lay in the wires and then had extensive landscaping done to hide the system. I know he spent more than $40,000 installing it.

Old 08-10-2008, 03:19 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,565,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maine4.us View Post
You can't 100% depend on the internet when the power is out either. If the power is out between the telephone office and your house, even with electric power at your home, you won't have any internet. The telephone company maintains battery backup for the voice circuitry, but they may not maintain backup for the internet. Lots of times in Florida, my power is on, but the DSL internet is down because of a power failure between my house and the telephone office. Cable modems don't fare any better as they are also dependent on power between the internet source and your home. Our power goes out quite often in Florida, and we are in a suburb and lots of our power is buried. There is no where that you can be guaranteed computer access 100% of the time Even if your provider had a 99% up record, that would still allow for 72 hours of internet down time a year. A generator installed by a competent electrician is the best bet, but that still would not guarantee the internet being up.
True! I don't care what type of hook up you have for the internet you can expect some downtime.

Old 08-11-2008, 07:43 AM

312 posts, read 722,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
Their generator is 50 kilowatts I believe.. I do not know how much the generator itself was but I know they had to cut through rock to lay in the wires and then had extensive landscaping done to hide the system. I know he spent more than $40,000 installing it.
wow! $40,000 ?? Doesn't sound like the system for us, then!

Old 08-11-2008, 08:36 AM

653 posts, read 1,909,557 times
you can get stand by LP generator 10-15 kw installed for around $5000, the unit itself last time i check run around $2000-4000. it is gain popular now aday, price seen to come down a bit.

Quote:

Old 08-11-2008, 12:39 PM

129 posts, read 245,268 times
Hey guys, The city back-up generator was put in when there was a plastics extrusion plant out on county road it was a condition of them coming here. I think that they don't fire it up so quickly in the summertime as they do in the winter when people might freeze to death. Because of the thunderstorms this year we have had an abnormal amount of outages, all of them up the line, and as in the case of the big outage last month, the power was out here for 3 hours and in Bangor for 8-12 hours

Old 08-12-2008, 07:13 PM

45 posts, read 109,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willb View Post
Hey guys, The city back-up generator was put in when there was a plastics extrusion plant out on county road it was a condition of them coming here. I think that they don't fire it up so quickly in the summertime as they do in the winter when people might freeze to death. Because of the thunderstorms this year we have had an abnormal amount of outages, all of them up the line, and as in the case of the big outage last month, the power was out here for 3 hours and in Bangor for 8-12 hours
I think the back-up generator has been here alot longer than the beginning of Gates Fiber. The establishment of power priorities was established with Gates opening in Eastport, this explains why some areas have power during an outage and some don't.( not enough power for everyone but some have priority per contract with Gates/tribe).

Old 08-12-2008, 09:17 PM

7,395 posts, read 13,038,374 times
Yes, we had the generator when I was growing up in Eastport....there was a deal made with Gates before they came to Eastport that during an outage their company would use the generator, not the people of Eastport. That was the only way Gates would come in. Now that there's no Gates, the people have use of the generator again.

Old 08-13-2008, 07:27 AM

16,589 posts, read 15,512,798 times
Quote:
Like I said before, you need to get an electrician involved before you even think about which generator to buy. Here's why. Most houses in Eastport have 100 Amp electric service. Therefore, the maximum power that can come through the meter is about 12 KW (electricians, please note that I said ABOUT). You probably would not try to power your entire house from your generator, so the first step is developing an idea of what size generator you need. Then you need to decide how much automation you need. Another person's wants or needs may not be the same as yours (or then again, they may.

Old 08-13-2008, 01:06 PM

312 posts, read 722,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
Like I said before, you need to get an electrician involved before you even think about which generator to buy.
yep, thanks, Mensaguy....I *did* understand that from your previous post.....was just reiterating my shock at the notion that someone spent 40K on a generator system for their home.....we are gonna follow your advice, and Dano and I are gonna hire an electrician to come out and assess what type of generator we need....

Thanks, again, for the advice and the helpful info....

P.S. Do you and/or Corgis know of a good electrician in Eastport? If so, could you please DM me the person's name and phone number?

Many thanks!

Last edited by tapestry; 08-13-2008 at 01:14 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine