Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2008, 06:50 AM

152 posts, read 457,369 times

Advertisements

Is this A new Law?

I Buy Raspberry Mead (Honey wine) over the internet all the time ( last shipment about 4 months ago) Are you saying i wont be able to get more now I'm down to one bottle please say it ant so
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2008, 08:03 AM

37,443 posts, read 61,352,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by genmomto5 View Post
I thought the same as your wife about parents offering wine or other alcohol to their children. While PA's law is one of the strictest in this regard, most states allow parents to serve alcohol to their children in their private homes. Now in Maine it is legal for a minor to consume alcohol in a home as long as a parent is present. I don't personally do this. Heck, I'm a Quaker from PA (I thik they wrote the blue laws) so it is as outside of my comfort zone as it for your wife. I do find it interesting how different the US can be in regard to laws from state to state.
Really?

We lived in Italy and in Ct; and had gotten into the lifestyle of serving wine at dinner every evening. Our children were being served a wine cooler.

When we moved up here, I was observing all of the arrests in Orono in the Penobscot times. Included in them were arrests for under-age drinking within the home.

And then one day I had WVOM [a local talk radio station] going; and they were interviewing the Penobscot county sheriff. He went on a rant about under age drinking in Maine, and how it was his mission to arrest every parent who served his child alcohol. That with police in the classrooms, talking to children, the police routinely are told [by the children] which homes serve alcohol to minors. He went so far as to state that priests were breaking the law should they serve communion wine to minors in church, and that he could not understand why folks were letting this go on in their churches.

So after reading and hearing all of this; we had stopped serving wine to our children at dinner.

Old 08-12-2008, 09:15 AM

8,767 posts, read 18,661,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zedzul View Post
Is this A new Law?

I Buy Raspberry Mead (Honey wine) over the internet all the time ( last shipment about 4 months ago) Are you saying i wont be able to get more now I'm down to one bottle please say it ant so
No it's not new. Some companies will ship small quantities without regard. I was once in a beer club that sent around a six pack a month from various states and they were not hassled by the nanny state.
Maine just doesn't want anyone circumventing their strangle hold on the booze industry bypassing their puppet distributors. It is an outdated system whose only real purpose is to collect taxes for the state.
I'm sure you're all aware that the prohibition movement started in Maine.
It never really died off completely. There are still a lot of tea totalers in Maine who have no love for evil alcohol consumers. These people have never been able to make the distinction between someone having a casual glass of wine with dinner and the full blown alcoholic wreaking havoc on the streets.
To them we're all one in the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine