Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2008, 06:50 AM

6 posts, read 12,162 times

Advertisements

Moving to Maine
Could any one tell me about the orchard area of maine.
How about other parts of maine for a move involving schools, employment,
good areas to move to. Some one had mention a town called Milo-any information would help.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2008, 07:19 AM

7,727 posts, read 12,383,339 times
What do you mean the "Orchard Area"? Milo is a nice little town, an IGA, a Riteaid, two pizza places, lumber yard, hardware store, a couple places to get a haircut, just 15 minutes to the bigger town of Dover-Foxcroft. There's not much else here. I don't have school aged kids but from what I know the school (no high school) is nice. There's a lot of emphasis on making the school a place kids want to be. I have been told that the education level in this area is mediocre. The key to a good education starts at home. If a child likes school to begin with, and you work with your child at home, encouraging them to really put in an effort to excel they have the opportunity to do well.

Old 08-14-2008, 07:56 AM

461 posts, read 796,954 times
Careful about who you respond to? On the off chance that liz is a spy (lol) I'd suggest she means Old Orchard Beach, which is a very popular tourist area for Canadians.

Old 08-14-2008, 12:42 PM

Thank you Msina,
I like small towns, I just wanted to know all my options before we make a desicion.
Yes, I agree, education starts at home. My son is a good student. I guess what I'm really asking about the schools-is there any youth violence, gangs. I'm worried about that.
How is the cost of utilities and rental homes,if you know. Any info would be helpful.
thank you msina. lizllw

Old 08-14-2008, 12:58 PM

278 posts, read 700,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by entyss View Post
I'd suggest she means Old Orchard Beach, which is a very popular tourist area for Canadians.
ditto

Old 08-14-2008, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labamba View Post
ditto
sorry, I didn't mean anything by old orchard area.I'm not to familiar with Maine.

Old 08-14-2008, 01:17 PM

278 posts, read 700,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizllw View Post
sorry, I didn't mean anything by old orchard area.I'm not to familiar with Maine.
Don't worry about it. We actually can be nice when you get to know us.

Old 08-14-2008, 01:28 PM

2,054 posts, read 4,579,285 times
Ask away! It's virtually impossible rub any of us the wrong way...he, he, he.

There is unrest in the forest
There is trouble with the trees
For the maples want more sunlight
And the oaks ignore their pleas...My apologies to Neil Pert.

Old 08-14-2008, 02:34 PM

7,727 posts, read 12,383,339 times
I didn't know that you were asking about O.O.Beach, sorry. I thought you may have been asking about an area where there are Orchards. Kids are kids no matter where you go though I don't think gang activity should be a major concern for you here. I've known kids that behaved in a way that made ME want to hurt them. I mean that as an example of frustration, not that I'd actual harm them but, some teens can bring out the worst reactions at times and I think it's universal. I've not known any affiliated with gangs, most that act like "gangsta's" would wet their baggy drawers if you dropped them in a rough city neighborhood. I've also had the pleasure to know some incredible young people. Kids that are out mowing lawns, shoveling snow, babysitting, collecting bottles and whatever they can to make their own money. Kids that aren't sitting at a computer, or in front of the tv but outside having actual human interaction. Kids in this area go outside in the snow, they sled at recess, cross country ski at P.E. time. They snowboard as well as skateboard even if they're Emo. Kids in small towns with involved parents know when it's supper time. It's what you make it, it's really a lifestyle choice. All my best to ya.

Old 08-14-2008, 03:05 PM

37,465 posts, read 61,396,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmyankee View Post
Yes, but as I always ask you all in Milo...

Can you buy a pair of socks? LOL
Did you want a sock?

Keep giving Msina grief and I am sure that she can sock you pretty good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine