Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2008, 01:56 PM

37,465 posts, read 61,396,384 times

Advertisements

What we do for extra income in Maine

Everyone has stories of what they do to supplement their income.

Let's hear your Wicked good ideas!

People seem to be asking all the time, what we do for a living up he-ah.

Here is a chance to let them in on diversification, seasonal activities, anything wicked gorgeous!

P.S. our last attempt on this OP got wicked far off-topic, so lets try again
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2008, 02:13 PM

37,465 posts, read 61,396,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labamba View Post
You've been a naughty boy, forest.
Not so much.

And BTW; I sell eggs

We have lots of chickens and we sell eggs.

Old 08-14-2008, 02:18 PM

2,054 posts, read 4,579,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
What we do for extra income in Maine

Everyone has stories of what they do to supplement their income.

Let's hear your Wicked good ideas!

People seem to be asking all the time, what we do for a living up he-ah.

Here is a chance to let them in on diversification, seasonal activities, anything wicked gorgeous!

P.S. our last attempt on this OP got wicked far off-topic, so lets try again
Wicked Fetchin'. I do think you're assimilatin'.

This time ah yeah is just great for crusin' the sand a gravel pits. Not only can you pick up lots of bottles and cans left behind by the flatlanders, but they tend to leave a lot of brass ammo casin's behind. I already have 1 1/2 five gallon buckets full of brass. Good money these days. Never mind the 8 bags of bottles and cans. Even got a couple of them Allen's 15 centahs.

Old 08-14-2008, 02:27 PM

1,816 posts, read 3,391,174 times
For myself, I sell things that I don't need or want any longer on craigslist or other websites related to what I'm selling. In Maine, my sister gets soc. sec., a small retirement and she takes care of an elderly person three nights a week. My nephew has a hot dog stand for 6-7 months then in the winter works on his web music group and sells cd's mostly to his overseas clientele. He also sells eggs. I have two brothers that work where one makes enough as a single and the other relies on his wifes small complimentary income. Several other relatives and family friends are tradesman and work whenever they can. Some will work for a few weeks or months just to get enough money to live on for a period and then start all over again.

One thing I've noticed is that these self employed tradesman will carry wads of cash around. Pay cash for everything. Even a used car. When it runs out, they look for work again.

Old 08-14-2008, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMoore007 View Post
For myself, I sell things that I don't need or want any longer on craigslist or other websites related to what I'm selling. In Maine, my sister gets soc. sec., a small retirement and she takes care of an elderly person three nights a week. My nephew has a hot dog stand for 6-7 months then in the winter works on his web music group and sells cd's mostly to his overseas clientele. He also sells eggs. I have two brothers that work where one makes enough as a single and the other relies on his wifes small complimentary income. Several other relatives and family friends are tradesman and work whenever they can. Some will work for a few weeks or months just to get enough money to live on for a period and then start all over again.

One thing I've noticed is that these self employed tradesman will carry wads of cash around. Pay cash for everything. Even a used car. When it runs out, they look for work again.
That's because money talks. Many, many Mainers buy cars to use for a couple of years and then get another. I just bought an 88 Cherokee Monday with 130k, and the factory undercoating is still intact.

Both previous owners kept it washed and garaged. The last MA owner just used it to haul his boat around the region in the summer. It had been sitting out on the dirt road in Beaver Cove for an hour. I just happened to be in the area and decided to take that particular road out. $550 on the spot. Fired it up and drove her home!

Old 08-14-2008, 03:51 PM

6,631 posts, read 13,542,872 times
Raking blueberries, tipping balsam and making Christmas wreaths are common here. A neighbor picked reindeer moss for the wreath company last year.

Old 08-14-2008, 03:54 PM

12 posts, read 47,540 times
Default hmmmm, what I would do

Since I have decided to move there, I will sell my knitted sweaters and and paintings. I want to open a very small bakery. Just for the fun of it, no extra income needed. Fun to hear what all of you do.

Old 08-14-2008, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post
Raking blueberries, tipping balsam and making Christmas wreaths are common here. A neighbor picked reindeer moss for the wreath company last year.
Note to self...time to untangle the tipping stakes and inventory the wire, rope and rings.

Old 08-14-2008, 06:26 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,684,164 times
Bush hogging, digging small ditches and holes with the back hoe, aerial photography, site planning, snow blowing camp roads, sell stumpage etc. I used to guide, but there is no money in it any more unless you guide bear hunters and they sure work hard for their money.

People ask what I do for a job. I tell them, "I don't have a job; I have Some jobs."

Old 08-16-2008, 08:45 AM

4,112 posts, read 6,520,012 times
When we get to Maine, our tentative pans are that DH will pick "wrinkles" and I think I will dog sit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine