Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2008, 09:20 PM

1,179 posts, read 2,477,069 times

Advertisements

yep, mensaguy, it is a small 20 gallon electric water heater.. Wow, that puppy uses a lot of juice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2008, 11:18 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,710,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maine4.us View Post
yep, mensaguy, it is a small 20 gallon electric water heater.. Wow, that puppy uses a lot of juice.

Turn off the power to hot water tank, remove the access cover and turn down the thermostat to 120.

If you really want to go whole hog, put a fibreglas insulating blanket around the outside of the tank and put pipe insulation on as much hot water pipe as you can get at.

Old 08-23-2008, 08:44 AM

4,112 posts, read 6,489,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dano19606 View Post
After hearing wonderful things about Eastport here and elsewhere for the better part of a year we took a one week vacation there in the middle of this past July. It was everything we had imagined and more. We put a deposit on a house and once our house here in PA sells we'll be moving up. Right now we feel like we're prisoners waiting for our sentence to end so that we can go home.
OMG...how did I miss this? You and tapestry bought a house... you'd better start a thread mister!!! We want all the details!! How else can I live vicariously through you until my time to "move to Maine" comes?

I'd like to welcome our newest furture Eastportian as well!

Old 08-23-2008, 08:49 AM

4,112 posts, read 6,489,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willb View Post
Re Mark S: The real reason Eastport is the drug smuggling capital of the Northeast is because the people are so good at covering it up. Instead of big fancy rides the average age of most cars is at least 10 years old. We don't wear a lot of flashy clothes and the bling is very low-key. Most of the houses are common looking, but inside they are really are pimped out. Of course at least half the people here are in the witness protection program so that adds to the discreetness of the population. You would think there's just a bunch of people enjoying the place they live, but really almost everyone you see at the IGA is one of the biggest drug dealers in New England. The reason so few people get arrested and there has only been two homicides in all of Washington county in the last 5 years is because each citizen pays half a million a year to Dick Cheney in protection money to keep everything quiet.
I almost fell out of my chair... willb , you are very insightful sort of guy!!! I can't wait to be around that kind of wit more often!!!

Old 12-09-2008, 12:18 PM

33 posts, read 87,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corgis View Post
I live in Eastport and my electric bill from Bangor Hydro was $41. this month, even in the deepest of winter the highest bill has been $84. - I don't have a clue what you were doing to run up a $500. month electric bill.

Oil last winter was used up at a rate of about 100 gallons a month, we didn't keep the heat at 85, 75 or even 65. This house is also over 100 years old and we have done the intelligent thing and put in new windows, insulated, patched up any places that cold air can come in.

I'm thinking that maybe you're just a generally negative person and no matter how good something is, you'll be against it.
I checked w/ my neighbor and she kept hers down by using a battery operated radio and candles....sorry I'm a realist and we had oil heat...the electric rate is around 20cents per kw hr compared to 3cents elsewhere..
I checked w/ other parents...theirs was the same. I'm not certain what is negative about that...you have to be honest w/ people. They really need to call bangor hydro to find the average for a home b4 purchasing it if its a concern.

Old 12-10-2008, 02:10 PM

45 posts, read 109,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maureengld View Post
Living in Eastport year round presents challenges as the homes are "old", large and most need a tremendous amount of repair. There are not jobs available for the working age...with the exception of the medical field. Retail jobs when availble are far and few in between. The cost of heating one of these "old" homes...approximately 1124.00 per month during the "cold" months (8mos +per yr). (one tank of oil per month)...you may still need to supplement this heat with a wood, coal or electric heater which is going to run from $225 per cord cut/split here. Bangor hydro charges high amounts for electricity....ours was over $500 per month in Eastport (no...we did not heat w/ electric..). Then there's the taxes, water, sewer, repairs and upkeep on the homes. The town is a ghost town for most of the winter and you are lucky to even be acknowledged by your neighbors or locals once they've sized up how much money they can get from you providing sloppy, shoddy repair jobs for your home. It may be best to look elsewhere unless you're very handy at your own home repairs...don't mind driving 2+ hrs each way for a "home depot" shop, like living in solitude and have a spare 20K+ per yr to dump into a beautiful old home. It's a beautiful summer community but the reality of the place is that the winter is long, grim + depressing. There are much more pleasant places to live in Maine. Do your homework and call the utility Co's before making a purchase in this area.
If you follow the advice in the last sentence you will realize how untrue the rest of the post is.

Old 12-10-2008, 02:35 PM

Location: Hidin' out on the Mexican border;about to move to the Canadian border
732 posts, read 1,333,117 times
I don't know if we'll be considering Eastport, but I definitely will be getting back to this group before we buy a house when we get up there.

Old 12-10-2008, 03:20 PM

1,179 posts, read 2,477,069 times
Eastport Utilities: Water (minimum) $32.10 per month, sewer (minimum) $69.00 per quarter, garbage a bit over $10 per month, Bangor Hydro $90 for about 800kwh. Property taxes (based on where you are) 22 mills. This is what I pay. By the way, these utilities don't take into account heating the house. I minimally heated it last winter for a couple of months, and it was about $150 per month. It was refurbished by willb and appears to be extremely well insulated.

Old 12-10-2008, 03:39 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,568,663 times
Eastport is by far the nicest town on earth. I hope someday I can move there.You can stand in the middle of town and have one foot on either side of The Volvo Line so you really can be anyone you want to be there. Plus I always get excited when they mention Eastport on the weather radio even though it's now a computer generated voice... "Eastport Maine to the Merrimack river NH and out to 25 nautical miles". Gives you a chill doesn't it?

Old 12-10-2008, 03:47 PM

444 posts, read 923,871 times
Hey, you're getting a better deal with Bangor Hydro than I am! I just got my bill, and it was $159.97 for 865 KWH. They charge for the supply and the delivery.

Our oil and propane bill combined was $427...we really need to get on a budget plan!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine