Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2008, 12:31 PM

192 posts, read 394,176 times

Advertisements

Our whole family just got back from our second "scouting" Maine trip! We drove and drove and drove. Of course we ate and ate and ate as well. We met some fantastic people and seen some of the most beautiful landscape known to man. I usually don't post I just lurk. (mom always said you can learn more by listening than talking) We feel we have decided on an area best suited for our family needs. We have settled on the Waterville area give or take 30 miles. We are both LPN's here in Ohio in Long Term Care we like working with Dementia Patients. That being said how is the health care field as far as Nursing homes? Don't get me wrong we didn't get into nursing to get rich just job stability. We are a frugal family who carries little debt we are just looking to leave "rust belt" Ohio behind us. Here in Ohio LPN's usually are not employed in hospital's just the RN's. Is there a job market for us? The reaosn I asked this trip was more for fun so we didn't seek out potential jobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2008, 02:00 PM

2,133 posts, read 5,874,567 times
I'm from Waterville so if you have any questions, feel free to ask!!

Old 08-19-2008, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BacktoNE View Post
I'm from Waterville so if you have any questions, feel free to ask!!
Thank's. How is the job market in Long Term Care. We prefer to work in a Nursing Home versus Home Health.

Old 08-19-2008, 02:26 PM

2,054 posts, read 4,577,178 times
All LTC facilities are looking for qualified staff. The pay varies wildly. CNA's are in great demand and there are still many hospitals that employ them as techs. I would think that the LPN would be in similar demand.

I always figured that the LPN gig was a tough nut to figure. Once you are licensed, you can no longer work as a tech. But CNA's can pass meds with a 120 hour pharm course. Go figure.

By your description of the situation, I think you can transition from the rust belt in short order. Put a while lot of feelers out for jobs.

Old 08-19-2008, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmyankee View Post
All LTC facilities are looking for qualified staff. The pay varies wildly. CNA's are in great demand and there are still many hospitals that employ them as techs. I would think that the LPN would be in similar demand.

I always figured that the LPN gig was a tough nut to figure. Once you are licensed, you can no longer work as a tech. But CNA's can pass meds with a 120 hour pharm course. Go figure.

By your description of the situation, I think you can transition from the rust belt in short order. Put a while lot of feelers out for jobs.
I know we have a few facility's here in Ohio that also operate in Maine. My wife suggested one of us switch to them and then transfer to a Maine location. Here in Ohio veryvery few CNA's can pass Meds. However if I want to pick up an extra shift and none are available I can work as an CNA. As always thank you for your help.

Old 08-19-2008, 05:01 PM

2,054 posts, read 4,577,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbb3601 View Post
I know we have a few facility's here in Ohio that also operate in Maine. My wife suggested one of us switch to them and then transfer to a Maine location. Here in Ohio veryvery few CNA's can pass Meds. However if I want to pick up an extra shift and none are available I can work as an CNA. As always thank you for your help.
Good idea. If you qualify for the LPN to RN bridge, I would suggest you try it. Just go all the way and do the pre-reqs for the BSN. That's the ticket!!!

Old 08-19-2008, 05:16 PM

55 posts, read 163,336 times
Funny, I just got back this afternoon from a trip to Ohio.

Old 08-19-2008, 05:17 PM

It's Nasty here don't you think.lol where did you visit?

Old 08-19-2008, 05:22 PM

55 posts, read 163,336 times
Went to Aurora for a trade show. It was sad to see what was left of Geauga Lake park rusting behind walls. My husband used to work in Wilmington by the way,for Airborne Express. This was when we lived in western PA. The company wanted us to move there, but he said no way, I would really hate it.

Old 08-19-2008, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortunata View Post
Went to Aurora for a trade show. It was sad to see what was left of Geauga Lake park rusting behind walls. My husband used to work in Wilmington by the way,for Airborne Express. This was when we lived in western PA. The company wanted us to move there, but he said no way, I would really hate it.
Wilmington is a very small town. We live about 40 minutes north in Grove City. Airborne or DHL is having some problems they are attempting to move and use some private carrier's. Another major employernleaving Ohio. Sad to see because that is a great job. It is also very sad to see the demise of Northern Ohio.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine