U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2008, 02:50 PM

3,061 posts, read 7,855,699 times

Advertisements

Don't let Ranger go in after that turtle either. I don't think Mrs. Ranger could put up with him underfoot again so soon!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2008, 07:48 PM

2,059 posts, read 3,926,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlisonL View Post
Don't let Ranger go in after that turtle either. I don't think Mrs. Ranger could put up with him underfoot again so soon!
im not getting hurt agine for a while.shed kill me.MW you could allso do this go out to the pond with a lawn chair an umbrella(to keep the sun off ya or the rain)a cooler full of beer and a shot gun.and sit there till it comes up for air.then you can add turtle hunting to your great hunts.

Old 08-24-2008, 04:46 AM

4,112 posts, read 6,131,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RANGER.101ST View Post
im not getting hurt agine for a while.shed kill me.MW you could allso do this go out to the pond with a lawn chair an umbrella(to keep the sun off ya or the rain)a cooler full of beer and a shot gun.and sit there till it comes up for air.then you can add turtle hunting to your great hunts.
Or just have another excuse for hanging out by the watyer with a beer. "Going turtle hunting, gang. Not sure when I'll be back!"

Old 08-24-2008, 05:31 AM

6,314 posts, read 12,299,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlisonL View Post
Good point! Ranger, I'm thinking you shouldn't have beer and firearms at the same time. A grinder without beer wasn't such a good idea.

Steve thought he had it yesterday afternoon when he found the line on the opposite side of the pond. It's a small pond so a 20' move is very noticeable. When he came back up to the house get stuff I tagged along for the laugh...I mean experience. It was a 15" hornpout that made a tangled mess of everything. We didn't think we had any that large left. Nothing this morning. The drama goes on!

Old 08-24-2008, 07:30 AM

1,698 posts, read 3,119,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post
Good point! Ranger, I'm thinking you shouldn't have beer and firearms at the same time. A grinder without beer wasn't such a good idea.
This is a good point. Is this posted as of yet on the back of a beer can?
Do not mix beer with fire arms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post
When he came back up to the house get stuff I tagged along for the laugh...I mean experience.
To cute... I love it!!

Old 08-24-2008, 07:51 AM

4,112 posts, read 6,131,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peachie_in_maine View Post
This is a good point. Is this posted as of yet on the back of a beer can?
Do not mix beer with fire arms.

To cute... I love it!!
Just make sure there's no ammo before letting him leave!

Old 08-24-2008, 10:56 AM

6,314 posts, read 12,299,732 times
This shows how steep the banks of the pond are. Plants fill in every summer and provide habitat for the baby fish when the fall rains raise the water level. By spring most plants are gone. When the pond is full it's 15' on the shallow end, 22' on the deep end. The only thing on the bottom is a boulder too large to be taken out by the backhoe (Case 720).

This is not the snapping turtle we're trying to catch. It's a bull frog we caught as a pollywog in a bait trap from another pond three winters ago. This is the first year those pollywogs are old enough to breed. Bull frogs are pollywogs for two years! They were successful. We've seen a couple of huge pollywogs this summer.

Also not a snapping turtle. A 15" hornpout, aka brown bullhead, aka supper.

And again, NOT the snapping turtle. This is one of our rainbow trout skimming the surface to eat the floating food we toss in for them.

Maybe tonight we'll have turtle pics!

I've been told a neighbor would like to catch it and eat it. She wants to keep the shell though, and I'm not willing to part with the shell. It has killed too many of our trout to give up a souvenir we can use for educational purposes.

Old 08-24-2008, 01:09 PM

if you can get a pic of it you can get a shot off at it.

Old 08-24-2008, 03:10 PM

1,698 posts, read 3,119,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RANGER.101ST View Post
if you can get a pic of it you can get a shot off at it.
As Ranger says...
"If she shoots it, will she eat it?

hehe

Old 08-24-2008, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peachie_in_maine View Post
As Ranger says...
"If she shoots it, will she eat it?

hehe
thats right eat what you kill.make soup and use the shell for berry picking.or a center piece for the table.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine