Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2008, 01:08 PM

37,441 posts, read 61,352,754 times

Advertisements

We got our power and telephone line under ground!

Woo Hoo!

NMLM came out here yesterday. He dug a 240 foot trench for us, so that we could lay our power and telephone lines and get them underground.

The funny thing is that with it all in the trench our telephone and DSL worked fine, but once the trench was filled in, our telephone went dead. The DSL works but the audio is dead. ???

Our power and telephone services both go to a powerpole 100 foot down the driveway. Which is where our electric meter and telephone NID are located [next to our motorhome]. Then our house is a further 250 foot down the driveway.

It is nice to finally have that underground.

We had wanted to get it all underground but our funding had ran low.

With our house partly built we work on one thing, or another thing. Usually up to the point where money would be needed to go further. So our power line had been laying there for a while needing to be put in a trench.

NMLM is a great guy, and very friendly [for those who have not yet met him]. He works quickly, and is low cost, with his 30Hp Kubota backhoe.

Our soil has a lot of logs in it. I have already gone through 2 Sears rear-tine roto-tillers in this soil. The prolific logs and rocks just destroy a roto-tiller's transmission quickly. As we saw while NMLM was digging the trench, he pulled up a lot of logs and stumps that were fully buried underground.

NMLM is cool!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2008, 01:44 PM

1,180 posts, read 2,489,740 times
While in Maine, I saw a commercial that had a photo of him walking in the north woods of Maine. It was a real estate commercial. I know it was him because I came across a business card later complete with his photo and name. It was neat, watching the olympics in my favorite bar in Maine and lo and behold, there is NMLM a real TV star right in the middle of the opening of the olympics!

Old 08-22-2008, 02:52 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,482,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
With our house partly built we work on one thing, or another thing. Usually up to the point where money would be needed to go further. So our power line had been laying there for a while needing to be put in a trench.
Yes, that is often how things go, and how we expect it to go for us someday, as well!

But it's nice when you make some real progress, esp with something that's been on your mind for awhile! Glad to hear that progress is being made at your place! Keep up the good work!

Old 08-22-2008, 03:11 PM

7,727 posts, read 12,378,632 times
That's great Forest! NMLM is a very nice gentleman.

Old 08-22-2008, 03:12 PM

121 posts, read 338,037 times
We have been round and round with verizon techs, and they tell us that dsl will work even when voice service won't. Hmmm... I am hoping that you used the gel-filled cable for your underground portion. I used to install the 4 or 6 pair, so there were some spares.

Best of luck!

Old 08-22-2008, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maine4.us View Post
While in Maine, I saw a commercial that had a photo of him walking in the north woods of Maine. It was a real estate commercial. I know it was him because I came across a business card later complete with his photo and name. It was neat, watching the olympics in my favorite bar in Maine and lo and behold, there is NMLM a real TV star right in the middle of the opening of the olympics!
You were drinkiing suds in a bar, watching the Olympics, and the commercial had NMLM?

That is really neat!

We have not seen any of the Olympics yet. I do hope they put some of it on TV.

Old 08-22-2008, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailmonkey View Post
We have been round and round with verizon techs, and they tell us that dsl will work even when voice service won't. Hmmm... I am hoping that you used the gel-filled cable for your underground portion. I used to install the 4 or 6 pair, so there were some spares.

Best of luck!
We have lost DSL before while we have still had audio, and now we have lost audio while maintaining DSL. It is wierd.

Usually when we lose DSL, it takes a few days and they get it fixed. Twice the techs have said that they had fried a 'D-slam' card of theirs. Once they replaced their card, and it still did not work for us, so after a week of complaining, they found that when they replaced the D-slam card they had failed to set it's switches. So they set the card's switches and it worked again.

Old 08-22-2008, 03:51 PM

We rarely use our telephone anyway. The background static is so loud that you have to shout, and it is hard to hear the other party. No big deal really so long as the DSL works.

To speak with the Baby Bell techs, I always have to use my cellphone anyway. The landline connection has never been good enough for us to understand each other.

Old 08-22-2008, 03:56 PM

2,059 posts, read 4,201,628 times
sound to me that your getting some back feed from some where forest.glad to hear you got it under ground thats one more thing you wont have to worry about this winter.

Old 08-22-2008, 03:58 PM

444 posts, read 928,367 times
Gotta love a man with a 30Hp Kubota backhoe...git-r-done!!! All right, I must admit I am indulging in a nice cocktail at the moment Love those Maine men!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine