Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2008, 07:32 AM

37,461 posts, read 61,379,739 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by starwalker View Post
I am looking at the scythe stuff, growing plums, grapes, etc, the spinning and weaving stuff which will be ongoing...
The Scythe demo is contagious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2008, 07:43 AM

Friday has a workshop on pruning forest trees that I might be interested in.

'Organic livestock management' looks neat.

Friday has a 'Medicinal mushroom' workshop, this year by a Chiropractic-Acupuncture guy. Last year's workshop on this was very interesting. I had thought that it was presented by a naturopathic doctor, I may have been in error. Though it was very good. Glyco-nutrients are a fascinating topic.

I see 'Growing lavender in New England', I have been attempting to grow it. Without much luck. Maybe I need to learn a few things.

Then 'microbial farming' and 'Lacto-fermenting'

But then again I have a cyst growing in one of my lymph glands and my Dw has had infected lymph's before, and there is a workshop on 'lymphatic drainage', hmm.

Old 08-29-2008, 09:14 AM

2,712 posts, read 5,653,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
That could be cool, I always wanted to meet KAF and Starwalker.

Forest, what you been smokin'? I could SWEAR I met you last year, at the fair, at least in passing! I was the short lady with the flower garden on her hat, if I recall!

BTW I stopped by yesterday on our long way home from Bangor, and missed you. Will likely be out that way again late this afternoon... and will try again.

Old 08-29-2008, 09:15 AM

Quote:
The Scythe demo is contagious.
I HAVE one now... bought it for $20 off an old guy who seems to have a perpetual old tool sale in Corinth. the blade either needs MAJOR help or to be replaced... rust city...

Old 08-29-2008, 11:32 AM

Seeing that you are height-reduced you may need to have the handles cut down and adjusted to 'fit' your stance better.

Old 08-29-2008, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Seeing that you are height-reduced you may need to have the handles cut down and adjusted to 'fit' your stance better.

that's "vertically challenged"... and yea I may have to make some modifications. But seeing as how I have been using stuff that was "too big for me" all my life, maybe not. I wouldn't know what to do with a tool that fit!

Old 08-30-2008, 12:00 PM
RHB

1,098 posts, read 2,150,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starwalker View Post
that's "vertically challenged"... and yea I may have to make some modifications. But seeing as how I have been using stuff that was "too big for me" all my life, maybe not. I wouldn't know what to do with a tool that fit!
Maybe cut forest down a peg or two???

Old 08-30-2008, 02:04 PM

2,356 posts, read 5,718,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post
Much smaller than Fryburg. There aren't any mechanical rides or maniacal carnies. You can ride on the horse drawn wagon! When Steve took me home to meet his parents the first time he pointed out Darthia Farm, owner of that horse drawn wagon, and told me they were weird people. Back then I was going to work in business suits and high heels. Ohhhhhhh how things change. I'd never heard of Common Ground Country Fair. It's contagious. You can't go to Common Ground and not want to grow something.
If I can find the time I think I will make the trip with the kids. We have a small garden and they are so into it. We talk every year about increasing the size of it dramatically....but there is a lot to learn. This year we didn't do well....I think it was because of all the rain.

Old 08-30-2008, 03:06 PM

On Saturday they have a big bunch of things that look interest to me too:

"Stump the Weed Guy", with Eric Gallandt, U. of Maine Weed Ecologist

"Growing Grapes in Maine"

"Apple Tasting", with John Bunker of Fedco Trees. Each year this is a great demo, you get to taste side-by-side many different varieties and the stories of where they find so many varieties are great too.

"Turkeys!"

"Selecting Poultry Breeds for Your Setting" with Dana Manchester of Shady Hollow Gamebirds

"Applying Basic Dowsing to Your Life"

"A Workable Medicinal Marijuana Law in Maine" with Jonathan Leavitt of the Maine Marijuana Policy Initiative

"Wind Energy & Its Use" No doubt presented by a salesman. But we have been lookin at a few options.

"Homebrewing" with Gabriel Zacchai of Kennebec Homebrew Supplies

"Herb Walk – Common Local Herbs" with Carol Gardener of Lord's Healthy Herbs

"Lacto Fermenting" with Ana Antaki of Weeping Duck Farm

"The Road to Health with Herbs, Oils, & Green Smoothies" with Marcia Walden

Old 08-30-2008, 06:54 PM

Quote:
"Growing Grapes in Maine"

"Apple Tasting", with John Bunker of Fedco Trees. Each year this is a great demo, you get to taste side-by-side many different varieties and the stories of where they find so many varieties are great too.

"Applying Basic Dowsing to Your Life"
You likely will see me at the first two... My family all dowses, so I don't think I will need that one. I have a really fun story about my oldest two girls trying to help one of the younger sisters get ready for church. The youn'un had lost her shoes and they were nowhere (obvious) to be found. I was likely dressing the baby (AGAIN....) and had delegated K and A to help find the shoes. They came to me, totally frustrated, and asked if I would dowse for them. I told them it was their job, and if that is how they wanted to find them, get the dowsing rods out of their dad's bureau drawer (just remember to put them back...). First K tried and then A and they had the same result... the rods pointed at a specific side of the double bureau two of the kids shared, but after opening -- and searching thoroughly through -- all three drawers (they took each item out, one by one and laid them on the bed) there were no shoes. The bureau was flush against the wall, which was paneled with 1x6 boards and sat flat on the ground (no legs).

Once again the kids came to me, frustrated almost to tears. They insisted the shoes had to be under or behind the bureau, even though that appeared to be patently impossible. But I took a moment to go with them and pull the heavy piece from the wall... and there were the shoes. the paneling board at floor level had bowed into the wall (the end was NOT on a stud) enough that T's tiny Sunday shoes fit into the gap. How they got there, we were never able to figure out, as the bureau was way too heavy for any of the kids -- or even all of them together -- to move. But the rods did not lie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine