Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2008, 07:12 AM

2,356 posts, read 5,698,687 times

Advertisements

2 weeks ago I lost a 33 year tenant........thats right.....a tenant of 33 years. After dancing around the idea of moving in with in with her sister my 83 year old tenanat decided that things were just to expensive. I had raised her rent back in May $25 and had called her to discuss another increase and how much she could afford. I myself was looking at an increase of at least $75 a unit for the increase in oil so this was just to ease my pain. In the end it wasn't so much the increase but the message....things are only getting worse..and on her fixed income moving in with her sister would help them both.

This morning I got a message that another elderly tenant (2) has given notice....they are moving in with their son

I can't blame them. And i understand this is just life. But boy is this painfull...to have two vacancy's coming into fall. My 33 year tenant was upset for me......I had on occasion sat at her kitchen table for coffee and pie and would often bring one of my children by when i was working there to visit with her. I would have loved to have been able to keep her....but I just couldn't afford it.

It's a lose lose situation either way. But lewiston somehow see's fit to discuss raising my tras removal from $1000 a year to $2000 I hope things turn around here soon!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2008, 07:25 AM

7,395 posts, read 13,052,580 times
I'm sorry to hear that! I hope you're able to find new tenants just as wonderful as those that are moving. I'm glad that they both have someone to move in with, makes me worry about those who aren't that fortunate. Hang in there fly

What's up with that trash removal increase?? That's absurd!! Calais has a couple of small businesses who do trash collection. I don't know how they're doing with the gas prices the way they are, but we're paying $30 a month for curb pick up. It's less for a dump permit, and we could take it ourselves... but I admit, I don't want to haul the garbage to the dump.

Old 08-30-2008, 07:48 AM

6,620 posts, read 13,474,135 times
Trash pickup costs almost doubled here this year because of the increase in diesel and labor.

Our oldest daughter has to pay her light bill as of September 1. I'm considering raising the rent on the house we're selling. It hasn't gone up in 10 years.

Old 08-30-2008, 09:49 AM

1,698 posts, read 3,324,038 times
Aww that's to bad.
It can be hard raising, and paying additional increases. Harder for the elderly when they don't get an increase in SS.
Sorry to hear about your woes.

Old 08-30-2008, 09:52 AM

47,902 posts, read 21,906,028 times
I thought that I read the recyling was an income source for municipalities.....there isnt any cost for the pick up and I thought it was because it more than paid for itself. Am I mistaken?

Old 08-30-2008, 11:41 AM
RHB

1,098 posts, read 2,142,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flycessna View Post
2 weeks ago I lost a 33 year tenant........thats right.....a tenant of 33 years. After dancing around the idea of moving in with in with her sister my 83 year old tenanat decided that things were just to expensive. I had raised her rent back in May $25 and had called her to discuss another increase and how much she could afford. I myself was looking at an increase of at least $75 a unit for the increase in oil so this was just to ease my pain. In the end it wasn't so much the increase but the message....things are only getting worse..and on her fixed income moving in with her sister would help them both.

This morning I got a message that another elderly tenant (2) has given notice....they are moving in with their son

I can't blame them. And i understand this is just life. But boy is this painfull...to have two vacancy's coming into fall. My 33 year tenant was upset for me......I had on occasion sat at her kitchen table for coffee and pie and would often bring one of my children by when i was working there to visit with her. I would have loved to have been able to keep her....but I just couldn't afford it.

It's a lose lose situation either way. But lewiston somehow see's fit to discuss raising my tras removal from $1000 a year to $2000 I hope things turn around here soon!!!
Ouch

Old 08-30-2008, 01:57 PM

2,356 posts, read 5,698,687 times
The trash thing started about 4 years ago. Trash was always included in your taxes....But Lewiston noticed that Portland made commercail units (5+) pay for their trash removal. It's so much a week per unit. It was like $400 the 1st year...then bang..$600...and then $1000. Now I have heard (to be honest..its still a rumer) that they are discussing raising it to $2000. the policy is if you refuse trash pick up just once....you can never join the program again. The city insists they would rather people just take care of their own trash....but I cannot understand cost savings when the truck is driving down my street anyways stopping at the building before me and after me. and believe you me....they are on top of it. They know exactley who has paid and who hasn't.

We always talk about cities looking run down and what not....what do you think will happen when it becomes so expensive that non of the landlords join....there will be those who throw couches in the woods....and their trash and other people's dumpsters ect.

I've given thought to buying my own truck....all I need is 150 stops ($150,000) approx. should be enough to pay for the truck and gas and ME

Old 08-30-2008, 02:36 PM

7,395 posts, read 13,052,580 times
hmmm.... now there's a thought.... the guy we have do ours just started his own business. Bought the trucks used from another company that went bankrupt (a signal that it's important not to spend every cent you "make", because it's not all clear profit right?)...anyway, the new guy has brains and they're doing very well!

Old 08-30-2008, 03:34 PM

79 posts, read 330,727 times
I personally don't understand why a landlord should raise rent on a tenant just because there personal expenses are going up. If the mortgage is not going up than why should it effect someone that has been so loyal to you for so many years? That person paid your bills in the past, helped to secure the future of you investment, and helped to feed your children, why should they have to pay for your extra expenses. I mean if they lived there for 33 years they should have essentially paid off the portion of the mortgage for that rental property, right? I don't know maybe it is just me but I don't think it is fair to raise the expenses of others because we can not handle our own. We own rental properties and ours are down here in Florida, where everything is more expensive. We have never raised the rent on a tenant because we have always charged enough to cover the mortgage, taxes, and insurance for the homes. Infact one of the homes is a $6000 annual loss in its self but the others cover that loss. We are not out to make money off the tenants monthly. It is called an investment property for a reason, because eventually you will make a profit off it. If you are struggling, so are they!!!!!!!!

Old 08-30-2008, 03:54 PM

874 posts, read 1,848,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flmom28 View Post
I personally don't understand why a landlord should raise rent on a tenant just because there personal expenses are going up. If the mortgage is not going up than why should it effect someone that has been so loyal to you for so many years? That person paid your bills in the past, helped to secure the future of you investment, and helped to feed your children, why should they have to pay for your extra expenses. I mean if they lived there for 33 years they should have essentially paid off the portion of the mortgage for that rental property, right? I don't know maybe it is just me but I don't think it is fair to raise the expenses of others because we can not handle our own. We own rental properties and ours are down here in Florida, where everything is more expensive. We have never raised the rent on a tenant because we have always charged enough to cover the mortgage, taxes, and insurance for the homes. Infact one of the homes is a $6000 annual loss in its self but the others cover that loss. We are not out to make money off the tenants monthly. It is called an investment property for a reason, because eventually you will make a profit off it. If you are struggling, so are they!!!!!!!!
That doesn't make sense to me. His fuel costs related to the rental are going up. These aren't his personal costs, nor should they be a gift to the tenant. He could have raised the rent to meet the cost increase completely but only raised the rent a small portion of the cost to him.

I had the impression that it was not the small increase in rent but the overall increase in the cost of living that made the tenant decide to leave and share costs with her sister. Flycessna seems, to me, to be a decent landlord lamenting the struggles his elderly tenants are dealing with and he is saddended by the loss of a long time tenant who is also a friend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine