Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2008, 04:01 PM

607 posts, read 2,368,580 times

Advertisements

Ok folks I keep hearing about West Coast weather vs. Maine weather. I live in the mountains of NorCal and see the four seasons, of which I really enjoy. Just how much rainy/cloudy weather does Maine get???My wife (A Mainer) tells me it's not bad and Maine doesn't have 8 months of zero rain like we do out here, but how much worse can weather be back there? Please give me honest feedback of how the weather is back there. I don't mind cold or snow, but all rain makes johnny a dull boy!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2008, 04:32 PM

6,631 posts, read 13,542,872 times
We had a rainy summer with the exception of heat and lack of rain in part of July. The weather has cleared and it's absolutely spectacular now. Today's high was 79* at my house, there are a few high clouds and the breeze is blowing.

Old 09-01-2008, 04:52 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,684,164 times
Crystal clear blue sky all day. Not a cloud here and we had low humidity and it peaked out at 74 degrees here by the lake. We don't get the forest fires you get in California. Ever wonder why? Maine is 95% privately owned. We CARE if our woods burn and work to prevent it.

You can ride an ATV 100 miles to the ocean, dip your tires in salt water, have a wild Maine blueberry pie with home made iced cream and ride back. It's all legal. We rode for miles on the ATV today and then I came home and cut some standing dead hardwood trees. They are already dry so we can burn them in the fireplace on a cool evening or bring them home for this winter's wood.

Old 09-01-2008, 05:47 PM

1,816 posts, read 3,391,174 times
family first...My first impression is that you have easy living in the NorCal mountains compared to most of Maine in the winter. Unless you live over 4-5000 feet. I have a sister-in-law that lives at Kings Beach and a cousin with a condo on the south shore of Lake Tahoe which is at 6000 feet. I check their weather and Maines weather every day and compare it, especially in the winter. I find that Tahoe is usually as cold as Maine, but has more snow. Probably why there are over 25 ski resorts all within a small radius there. But the weather in Tahoe and the lower Sierra's in the other three seasons is much drier with less rain, not very much humidity and tons of beautiful days.

I spent the last 7 years putting over 100k miles on BMW motorcycles in the Sierra's. You can ride year round except you have to stay below 3-5 thousand feet and under the snow line in the winter. Snow will occassionally get down to Grass Valley/Nevada City which is around 1200 feet but usually the snow line is above 3k.

But you would certainly find it an easier transition because you're already used to an abbreviated 4 seasons. Especially easier than someone from the Central Valley like me. Maine has more than 4 seasons but we won't get into that here. The winters out here are just rainy, really a joke compared to the colder climates. Easy living. The summers are just hot and dry with lots of a/c use until the delta breezes come in at night. Still, easy living. hth

Old 09-01-2008, 06:46 PM

222 posts, read 529,886 times
Default Fantastic

I lived on the Calif coast, in the middle in Texas, and MAINE has them all beat. Many months of beautiful weather here on the Maine coast. It may rain for like 5 minutes some days and then it is glorious again. I find there are far more "good" weather months up here. Weather is one of the best things about the place : ).

Old 09-01-2008, 09:36 PM

NMLM..,.every time I get a post from you, it makes me wonder why me and my family haven't packed up yet. Funny you mention fires...I'm in the business! As far as ATV's...mine (400 rancher AT) sits in my garage 11 months of the year and then gets ridden for hunting and a little fishing season. Me and the misses would like to find a house with property for us and the kids to recreate on without getting in a car. The blueberry pie and ice cream is the topping on the cake. Thanks!

Old 09-01-2008, 09:41 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,669,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by family first View Post
NMLM..,.every time I get a post from you, it makes me wonder why me and my family haven't packed up yet. Funny you mention fires...I'm in the business! As far as ATV's...mine (400 rancher AT) sits in my garage 11 months of the year and then gets ridden for hunting and a little fishing season. Me and the misses would like to find a house with property for us and the kids to recreate on without getting in a car. The blueberry pie and ice cream is the topping on the cake. Thanks!
Careful there family first .....NMLM sells real estate!

Old 09-01-2008, 09:43 PM

007...you give me some good info as I'm in the gold country right at the snow line. My bride is tired of the hot, long dry summers and misses home (Maine). I work in and around the high Sierras and know Tahoe well. The cold doesn't bother me. The difference would be in the constant elevation changes driving out west in the winter. I hear the driving out in Maine is less dreadfull because the land is flatter. My wife says most Mainers don't use 4X4 or chains during trhe winter. That is hard to imagine driving up in the Sierras. Oh well, with what you mentioned, which coast is where you would rather be? Thanks for the input.

Old 09-01-2008, 09:51 PM

MaineMath, I thought I remembered you making the move from CA. to Maine. Don't you have kids and how was that transition for them? How old were they when you moved and how were you and them accepted at school, the neighborhood, church? Was there a stigma coming from CA? Truth be told, me and the gang are more like outsiders to CA., than those in the Bay Area or SoCal cities. We are in the foothills of NorCal after moving out of the bay Area 15 years ago. And that was a great move!! Let me know how that move went for your family. Thanks

Old 09-02-2008, 12:08 AM

1,816 posts, read 3,391,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by family first View Post
007...you give me some good info as I'm in the gold country right at the snow line. My bride is tired of the hot, long dry summers and misses home (Maine). I work in and around the high Sierras and know Tahoe well. The cold doesn't bother me. The difference would be in the constant elevation changes driving out west in the winter. I hear the driving out in Maine is less dreadfull because the land is flatter. My wife says most Mainers don't use 4X4 or chains during trhe winter. That is hard to imagine driving up in the Sierras. Oh well, with what you mentioned, which coast is where you would rather be? Thanks for the input.
I think you and your wife would really love Maine. The elevation you mention is why they require chains or 4x4's in the Sierra's. Maine is mostly flat where most of the people live. Or at least a few hundred feet of elevation with rolling hills, views and lots of lakes or ponds everywhere in Maine. I know that in my travels around the foothill towns of the Sierra's, I am always reminded of Maine in many of these towns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine