Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2008, 06:10 AM

6,630 posts, read 13,535,602 times

Advertisements

Thieves: Or, How To Get Yourself Shot. Life isn't the way it should be in this part of Washington county this year.

I try not to be a nosy neighbor while trying to keep an eye out for the neighbors. When I heard an ATV on the property next door I listened. I didn't hear the person trying to get into the storage trailer so I left it alone. It could have been someone scoping out the area for the upcoming bird season. The person drove slowly past the house and up the road while I was busy in the kitchen. It should be safe to assume that someone who doesn't care about being seen isn't doing anything wrong. Not this time. I heard the ATV stop in our wood yard about an eighth of a mile up the road so I went to look. From the end of our driveway I could see someone putting our firewood on his ATV. If he'd knocked on the door and asked I've have given him better firewood than what he took. The wood is away from the house and I suppose maybe it looks like it doesn't belong to anyone nearby? I don't know. It shouldn't matter whether you know who owns something; if it's not yours don't touch it. I thought I knew who he is but wasn't positive. If I was right about him I knew he was cold and just needed a little wood to take the chill out of his summer house before he goes home Sunday. Steve recognized him from a photo I took. I'll print the photo and have it with me when we speak with him today. I learned my lesson about following people who steal when I did it the first time.

Friends of ours were robbed in February. The thieves knew our friends' habits and got away with it. Other friends were robbed in May. Again, they knew their habits and got away with it. A third set of friends were robbed over the summer, and they got away with it. The grocery store in town was robbed two weeks ago and again last week. A friend's business was robbed and so was my chiropractor at about the same time. They weren't caught. Diesel was stolen from a lot of logging equipment until those guys were caught.

Last Saturday night we were invited down to visit with friends who were robbed in May. The rain from Hannah was still light so we sat beside the lake with a fire burning, visiting with those friends and the friends who were robbed in February. Someone commented about a car coming down the road (dead end, we were at the end) and we hoped it was the daughter and SIL with their new baby. It wasn't. The car pulled into the neighbor's yard. Less than 10 minutes later it left with the neighbor's big screen television. We saw headlights but nothing else. They were caught a few days later with the television, prescription drugs and firearms. It's one out of at least a dozen robberies I know of this year.

This isn't the way life should be. I've stopped telling my dogs not to bark when someone pulls in. One probably wouldn't hurt anyone but two would shred strangers who made it into the house. If they're smart they'll leave when the dogs bark. Local conversations these days revolve around not caring who you shoot because they don't care who they rob. Someone's going to get hurt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2008, 06:39 AM

3,468 posts, read 7,237,647 times
I've heard of some other robberies down there earlier this year... What's going on drugs, economy, or just ignorance?

Old 09-13-2008, 06:43 AM

All of the above. In the February robbery little was taken. Both medicine cabinets were emptied but there weren't any "good" drugs. In the second and third prescription drugs were taken. Our lack of police protection is coming back to haunt us.

Old 09-13-2008, 06:48 AM

444 posts, read 928,367 times
Just before we left Maine, friends of my husband's cousin in Old Town were robbed...they had a lot of items stolen from their home. They were extremely shook up, as they have a baby and a toddler. They are not the only ones in the area that this has happened to, so apparently this crime wave is happening in Penobscot county as well as Washington County. Sorry to hear about all of this.

Last edited by txmom; 09-13-2008 at 08:02 AM..

Old 09-13-2008, 08:05 AM

1,698 posts, read 3,336,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinB View Post
I've heard of some other robberies down there earlier this year... What's going on drugs, economy, or just ignorance?
Isn't this crazy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post
All of the above. In the February robbery little was taken. Both medicine cabinets were emptied but there weren't any "good" drugs. In the second and third prescription drugs were taken. Our lack of police protection is coming back to haunt us.
Unbelievable.
These people need to find an honest job, not this stuff.

Old 09-13-2008, 08:43 AM

4,112 posts, read 6,517,647 times
What in the heck? This is not the Washington county that I've come to know and love.

I wonder if the desparation to cover winter heating bills is the biigest driving force behind this?

Hopefully they'll catch these butt heads!!!

Old 09-13-2008, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dramamama6685 View Post
What in the heck? This is not the Washington county that I've come to know and love.
It probably isn't a part of Washington county you know. We're in the northern corner away from the coast. This part of the county is better known for hunting and fishing.

Old 09-13-2008, 09:42 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,482,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post
We're in the northern corner away from the coast.
Are you near Stetson Mountain where we've heard of a wind mill farm going up?

Glad you aren't afraid to use the trusty firearm! Let a few of those miscreants get a seat full of buckshot, and maybe the rest of 'em will have second thoughts! You need to form a community watch!

Old 09-13-2008, 10:55 AM

We're 30 miles by road from them. Steve just said "we wish our town could have some." We could use the tax dollars. The town of Danforth received approximately $100,000 in personal property tax when the parts were being stored in the field. Guards were hired to watch the storage yards and the test area.

I'm not afraid to use a weapon. I learned how to use a blow gun when I was four and living in the Philippines and firearms soon after. I don't remember not knowing how to use weapons.

Old 09-13-2008, 11:00 AM

19,968 posts, read 30,200,655 times
id post a sign randomly on your property, especially around woodpiles,,,,"property is not under surveillence, that way there is no video of me shooting you"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine