Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2008, 03:29 PM
RHB RHB started this thread

1,098 posts, read 2,150,972 times

Advertisements

we are missing all of ours"

This is what a friend from CT said last night when he stepped outside. I had forgotten that you couldn't see the stars down there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2008, 04:21 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,487,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RHB View Post
This is what a friend from CT said last night when he stepped outside. I had forgotten that you couldn't see the stars down there.
We here in southern New England see plenty of stars - esp when we don't look where we are going! Seriously, the nearby city lights tend to interfere, even if that city is 30 miles away.

I would think that folks near Portland would experience the same thing?

Old 09-17-2008, 04:47 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,682,072 times
Nope. There are no lights out on the ocean. Any coastal town in Maine has dark skies and bright stars.

Old 09-17-2008, 05:16 PM

7,395 posts, read 13,101,169 times
I remember when we first moved down here from Bangor we were driving across the causeway into Eastport and one of the kids said, "Mom, it's SO dark here!" They weren't used to not having many streetlights. When a friend visited from Virginia a few years ago and we were driving across Rt 9 he also remarked on how dark it is.... lol, it's funny how we can take things like real darkness, real moonlight, and real starlight for granted.

Old 09-18-2008, 04:45 AM

8 posts, read 14,881 times
Years ago my son went to Boy Scout camp on Cooper Pond. It's off Rt.11 south of Millinocket, several miles down a dirt road past Jo-Mary Lake, then another mile hike in. The stars at night, and the daily view of Katahdin were unbelievable !! We showed the boys some constellations that they (and I) had never seen before. What stars !!!
You are right, Molly, we sometimes do take them for granted !!

Old 09-18-2008, 11:27 AM

5,826 posts, read 9,608,011 times
I had skylights built into my shed/house to facilitate falling asleep, quite literally, under the stars every night. It's also an awesome way to watch nature's fireworks during an electrical storm. It is life as it should be.

Old 09-18-2008, 08:17 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,753,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RHB View Post
we are missing all of ours"

What a wonderful quote!
Great idea for a thread- thanks

Old 09-19-2008, 07:36 AM

15 posts, read 46,247 times
I live 4 miles northeast of the Washington DC line in Maryland, and the light pollution here is atrocious. Looking towards DC even at 3am you just see this glow in the sky. There is no proper dark anywhere even where I am, as there are 24 hour streetlights all over the place. I grew up in a fairly rural area in northern Maryland and miss things like stars and dirt roads.

Old 09-19-2008, 11:10 PM

9,419 posts, read 11,166,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollysmiles View Post
I remember when we first moved down here from Bangor we were driving across the causeway into Eastport and one of the kids said, "Mom, it's SO dark here!" They weren't used to not having many streetlights. When a friend visited from Virginia a few years ago and we were driving across Rt 9 he also remarked on how dark it is.... lol, it's funny how we can take things like real darkness, real moonlight, and real starlight for granted.
I've lived in cities too long.

I remember Way Back When, when I lived out in the boonies miles from anywhere, when it got dark It Got Dark.
If you were walking in the woods or fields as darkness descended, and you had no flashlight, you were operating on a wing and a prayer.
Dark, dark, dark, and no cat around to lead the way.

Old 09-20-2008, 06:07 AM

4,112 posts, read 6,520,012 times
When we were in Eastport, we started a fire out at the Harris point Motel cabins, sat around the pit, said very little and jsut tried to absorb the awesome beauty of the night sky. Honestly, I never knew they were so many starts. it took my breath away. It felt like I was so close to them that if I stretched I could grab them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine