Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2008, 08:23 PM

5,054 posts, read 12,418,445 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlisonL View Post
Who knows what the price of it will be in Feb. That is the middle of winter and prices always go up then. I would still plan on it being $5/gallon. As some states are going to be higher than others.

Another thing to bear in mind is if you should run into a snowstorm in say, Tenn, that storm will follow you all the way to Maine.
Now that's very different from down here. Our fuel prices seem to go up during the summer (or during a hurricane!) pretty much anytime there is increased travel going on.

When we came up March 2007, we ended up driving across 4 states in a blizzard on the way home. Nope, that was NO fun!!! Imagine us......ALL the way up from Texas.......never driven in snow in our lives........mini van full of kids........middle of the night.......blizzard.......it was quite an experience! We had to stop about an hour into it and ask someone what to do about the ice freezing on the windshield. They told us about this wonderful stuff you put in your window cleaner tank. I can't remember what it was called, but I don't think they even sell that stuff down here! It worked, though.

Old 10-09-2008, 07:54 AM

1,555 posts, read 2,518,860 times
Before the winter season begins make sure your windshield washer fluid container is marked winter mix and not summer.

Old 10-09-2008, 01:14 PM

Alright, I need some help planning our route and stayovers. Anyone game to map with me? If we have to drive two vehicles, we'll have to stop every night for a sleep over. We're thinking 8-10 hours of driving each day will be all we can handle. I need to map the route and decide which cities to stay over in so I can start pricing out that part of the trip, and we definitely need to stay on the beaten path. I'd rather not wake up to a missing moving truck full of furniture in the morning! I've heard those stories.

Old 10-09-2008, 02:22 PM

3,061 posts, read 8,360,450 times
No matter what route you take, you will be dealing with mountains, and the possibility of bad weather, so be prepared.
We asked Triple A one time to map a route for us. OMG, never use them. They had us going to NJ to get to OH. We told them thanks but no thanks.
Get yourself a US road atlas and use that.
You said you are bringing pets, so you will need to find pet friendly places to stay at night.
Good Luck, and I'm glad its you doing this trip not me. LOL I'll let someone else move my things and I will go by plane.

Old 10-09-2008, 02:42 PM

7,395 posts, read 13,096,282 times
hmmm.... El maybe BobTex would have a good route? I don't know if he drives or flies though.... and Bob if you're reading this-- post more!

Old 10-09-2008, 02:53 PM

2,133 posts, read 5,874,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlisonL View Post
No matter what route you take, you will be dealing with mountains, and the possibility of bad weather, so be prepared.
We asked Triple A one time to map a route for us. OMG, never use them. They had us going to NJ to get to OH. We told them thanks but no thanks.
Get yourself a US road atlas and use that.
You said you are bringing pets, so you will need to find pet friendly places to stay at night.
Good Luck, and I'm glad its you doing this trip not me. LOL I'll let someone else move my things and I will go by plane.

Agreed!

We asked AAA for the best route from ME to WI, that would avoid big trucks as much as possible. So what did they do? Put us right on 80, which is the major truckers route east to west. Ya... no thank you.

We used our atlas and mapped out our own route. Now, having lived out here for a while, we found an even better route for the return trip. Right through Canada. Easy peasy.

Old 10-09-2008, 02:56 PM

Don't use Mapquest either.... I've met people this summer, and Peachie too, who just can't "get there from here" with their directions.... AND, you wouldn't make it to my house either, for some reason you'd land the next street over and three houses up!! Nice house, good people though, but they'd be surprised

Old 10-09-2008, 02:56 PM

Well, the actual route is pretty straight using mapquest, which we used when we were up last year. It was an easy drive - all highway miles. The thing will be to divide up the trip into driveable days and figure out which towns to stay in overnight. North Houston to Calais divided evenly is about 9 hours of driving a day. I'm sure that's about all we'll be able to handle since we both have to drive all the way, so that will be 3 nights and 4 days for the entire trip. When we came up last year, we made the drive in two days with only one overnight, but that was taking turns driving.

Then, we have the pet friendly hotels to find in each place. That will be the most challenging, I would imagine.

It would be so nice if we could get a moving company to do the heavy hauling, but the cheapest I'm getting quoted is ABF, which is $1200 more than renting the Penske truck. That's a big bunch of difference on a limited budget.

Old 10-09-2008, 02:57 PM

see? this is what happens when we post at the same time! lol

Old 10-09-2008, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollysmiles View Post
Don't use Mapquest either.... I've met people this summer, and Peachie too, who just can't "get there from here" with their directions.... AND, you wouldn't make it to my house either, for some reason you'd land the next street over and three houses up!! Nice house, good people though, but they'd be surprised
Wouldn't they be shocked to see a big Penske truck pulling into their driveway and a van full of kids unloading! Heart-attack!!

We did fine with mapquest last trip, but we didn't go further than Portland using it. The only place we got hopelessly confused was going through NY around that awful toll system. Geez! And OMG what kind of tolls do they have there?? We experienced some major sticker shock!!

We do have a nice Atlas. We're going to buy a good GPS for geocaching with you guys, so maybe we need to invest in that before the trip.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine