Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2008, 08:27 PM

489 posts, read 1,210,802 times

Advertisements

Nice story/article in the November 2008 issue of "Hemmings Classic Car" magazine about Neil Martin of Freeport. Seems 30 years ago he bought a defunct chicken farm in Freeport and has turned it into a thriving classic car business known as the Goldenrod Garage. Nice pictures included. Definitely be on my list of places to see when I visit ME again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2008, 09:32 PM

2,186 posts, read 6,823,645 times
I guess it's not that big classic car place just south of Freeport on US 1 between the Classic Custard Ice Cream Stand and the Naked Pig BBQ joint as all three places were just a few years ago.

Old 09-30-2008, 08:02 AM

8,767 posts, read 18,665,288 times
No Golden Rod is on Rte 125 about 2 miles from my house. Buck's Naked BBQ place is now up where route one meets the Desert road. A guy named Roger Bowden owns the Classic Convertibles, Classic Custard, and now a Classic Cook Out where you can get old fashioned hamburgers.
I've been by Golden Rod Garage a million times but never stopped by. I guess it's quite a place and yes it's in an old chicken barn.

Old 09-30-2008, 08:12 AM

3,061 posts, read 8,361,929 times
Oh gosh, definitely stop by Golden Rod. Neil is an awesome guy and he loves to show off his cars and talk about them. We raced against him at Oxford Plains and he is one of the nicest people you'll ever meet.

Old 03-02-2011, 05:44 AM

3 posts, read 6,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlisonL View Post
Oh gosh, definitely stop by Golden Rod. Neil is an awesome guy and he loves to show off his cars and talk about them. We raced against him at Oxford Plains and he is one of the nicest people you'll ever meet.

I'm wondering if we met the same guy, or if he was just having an off day. I was interested in purchasing a truck he had advertised online last year, and gave him a call and said I'd be stopping by. He was outside when I pulled up, introduced myself, and told him I was the guy interested in the truck. No introduction, no smile, just pointed in the direction the truck was in, walked off, and I never saw him again the whole time I was there.
The condition of the truck was grossly exaggerated in the ad (as is most of the stuff he has there), and even when the market was good, was only worth a third what he was asking for it. (A warning to anyone interested in anything he's advertising: if the picture is taken from 30+ feet away......there's a reason for it.)
Before I left (as a car veteran, not a newbie, completely disgusted in the prices he was asking for everything), a couple of his workers were kind enough to acknowledge my existence. I asked them what the deal was with this place, and was he interested in making a sale, and they informed me that it didn't really matter much to Neil if anything in the collection sold or stayed.

Neat place to visit to see the collection (some of the cars ARE very nice), but if you know anything about cars, you probably won't be paying the prices he's asking.
Wish I'd had a better experience, as I've heard lots about this place over the years. Personally, I won't be back.

Old 03-02-2011, 06:30 AM

3,036 posts, read 5,886,358 times
Always wanted to go there and check it out. The website is great and worth a visit.

Old 03-02-2011, 08:52 AM

23,542 posts, read 17,216,356 times
Default Another Mainer does good on the road

Here's a note about your own. Jack Panzica from Cape Elizabeth did this trip last summer. for tons of details Jack kept the corvette community up to date on several websites. Try corvetteforum C1/C2 section sticky.

"Jack Panzica pick up where he left of in the 1970s as he drove his glen green, 1966 corvette convertible from his home in Cape Elizabeth, Maine across 48 states and 19,500 miles in 87 days, ending up in Branchburg, NJ in mid October before closing out the last 500 miles back to Maine.

Beginning in late summer, Jack cruised, solo, across America, the embodiment of Buzz and Todd from the 60s TV series, "Route 66", as he met with fellow corvette owners in all contiguous 48 states who had their 50s and 60s corvettes for more than 30 years.

A personable and articulate fellow Jack, kept the corvette community up to date on four separate corvette forums as thousands of corvette fans lived vicariously though his travels."

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine