Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2008, 04:46 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,213,440 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by entyss View Post
Book stores! We need more book stores...

does the internet take away from reading books??

one concept i proposed to an investor a few yrs back, was a bookstore..cafe with internet access, yet,,also have a smoothie and tea bar (have a huge stone fireplace,) one wall would be for customers trying to sell used books.

i also like the "how to" store,,,,how to do just about anything yourself, and give hands on demonstrations, from cooking/bbq sampling to building a stone wall, from books and monitors(tv's with cd's scrolling) also id be letting local craftman advertise for free (so long as they do thier demo's)

also like the idea of a store called "earning and learning" your entrepenurial kids....
one side of the store would sell crafts/woodworking kits, the other half of the store would be for displaying the finish product to sell to the public...
for example, i could go buy a "kit" to build a breadbox,(or bookcase or coffee table, just about anything, with the wood included and instructions),,,put it together with my son, he would learn about profits, attention to detail, etc,,, bring it back to the store to display to sell to the public

this would be great for kids, especially today, where theyd get the concept of making something with thier hands and using tools,,,the store could also sell tools,,,
even if a kid doesnt want to "sell" thier item,,they could give it away as a gift...
also could have a picture of the kid who built the item on display....behind thier item they built..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2008, 05:05 PM

1,698 posts, read 3,337,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
there roadside sign has been on tv many times,( guns, wedding gowns, beer)
I've missed it, I don't have tv. I have no time for it.

Old 10-06-2008, 05:25 PM

2,712 posts, read 5,653,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
Thanks ranger, and Winterport carries the Baffins too...not to mention numerous other goodies.

Star, they say they carry women's sizes too.
Next time we're down that way we'll check them out. Sounds like they might have something that would fit K too...

Old 10-06-2008, 05:41 PM

5 posts, read 9,736 times
coffee shops! a bowling alley! sports bars....

Old 10-06-2008, 06:20 PM

7,058 posts, read 9,078,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
does the internet take away from reading books??

one concept i proposed to an investor a few yrs back, was a bookstore..cafe with internet access, yet,,also have a smoothie and tea bar (have a huge stone fireplace,) one wall would be for customers trying to sell used books.
There is a combination coffee shop/internet cafe/bookstore in downtown Bangor. Use your own computer with wireless for free, or their computer for a fee.

Old 10-07-2008, 06:11 AM

4,112 posts, read 6,519,110 times
Quote:
There is a combination coffee shop/internet cafe/bookstore in downtown Bangor. Use your own computer with wireless for free, or their computer for a fee.
That would be a cute idea for Eastport, but I don't know if there would be the foot traffic to keep it afloat.

Old 10-07-2008, 07:02 AM

5,054 posts, read 12,421,138 times
Quote:
Our equivalent is Starbucks........the only thing I've never seen in one is a computer to borrow. But I think they all have free Wifi now.

Old 10-07-2008, 07:14 AM

2,133 posts, read 5,876,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siobjuan View Post
I'd like to see a community workshop. A place where regular folks can pay a nominal fee to learn something practical. gardening, farming, raising livestock, personal economy, parenting classes...whatever.
This is a great idea!!! In the towns where adult ed is offered, you can find a lot of these classes, but what about the other towns? They don't get the same help and this would fill the void very nicely.

Old 10-07-2008, 07:34 AM

5,054 posts, read 12,421,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BacktoNE View Post
This is a great idea!!! In the towns where adult ed is offered, you can find a lot of these classes, but what about the other towns? They don't get the same help and this would fill the void very nicely.
They need classes for people "from away"! Seriously, someone is going to have to teach us how to use oil heat, how to use a woodstove, how to shovel the driveway, etc!! Then, the gardening, hiking, snow shoeing, etc. will also be things we'll have to learn. I know that LL Bean has some sporting tutorials you can take - oh yes, kayaking!

I think community workshops are a fantastic idea! Maybe if they hold one on the proper lighting and maintenance of a woodstove, we won't burn the town down!! Fortunately, the house we'll be starting out in doesn't have any wood burning heat - but we don't know how to use oil heating appliances, either. There are dozens of practicle things we need to learn.

Old 10-07-2008, 07:50 AM

2,133 posts, read 5,876,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcarim View Post
They need classes for people "from away"! Seriously, someone is going to have to teach us how to use oil heat, how to use a woodstove, how to shovel the driveway, etc!! Then, the gardening, hiking, snow shoeing, etc. will also be things we'll have to learn. I know that LL Bean has some sporting tutorials you can take - oh yes, kayaking!

I think community workshops are a fantastic idea! Maybe if they hold one on the proper lighting and maintenance of a woodstove, we won't burn the town down!! Fortunately, the house we'll be starting out in doesn't have any wood burning heat - but we don't know how to use oil heating appliances, either. There are dozens of practicle things we need to learn.

Oil heat is very easy El. You just have the system cleaned and serviced once a year and then, when it gets chilly, turn up the thermostat. No filters to change every month like with gas heat. No worry about sparks and blowing up the house (or at least not as easily as with gas). Best thing is to get set up with one company and have a service contract. Those service plans can save you a ton of money. Plus, with a contract, if you have a problem in the middle of the night or on the weekend, you can call for help without worrying about the cost. It's covered.

Woodstoves? I don't have the first clue but will be learning upon our return because I refuse to pay $4000 a year to heat a small house.

I love your enthusiasm for your new home
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine