Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2008, 11:07 AM

5,054 posts, read 12,422,756 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollysmiles View Post
there's this little label on the bottom you can see if you flip it over.....
OMG! Would that be the little yellow sticker between the front feelers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2008, 11:15 AM

7,395 posts, read 13,101,169 times
no, I think that's the bar code....

I'd love to be over there eating lobstah!!

Old 10-12-2008, 03:35 PM

169 posts, read 550,475 times
hey smile........thx for the heads up........i went down this afternoon and what a turnout. a glorious wait in the october sun seeing all your neighbors and friends and coming up off the pier with a bag full of cooked lobster........this event was put into play just friday afternoon, talk about some can-DO folks!

Old 09-21-2009, 01:12 PM

10 posts, read 33,318 times
I happened to see this thread on Stonington, ME, and as I plan to visit there, I was wondering if anyone knows if any lobster fishermen allow tourists to accompany them on their boats. I'm not talking about a guided tour, I'm talking about the real McCoy; in other words, I'd like to tag along on the boat while staying out of the way as much as possible - if that is possible.

Old 09-21-2009, 01:42 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,669,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowgal View Post
I happened to see this thread on Stonington, ME, and as I plan to visit there, I was wondering if anyone knows if any lobster fishermen allow tourists to accompany them on their boats. I'm not talking about a guided tour, I'm talking about the real McCoy; in other words, I'd like to tag along on the boat while staying out of the way as much as possible - if that is possible.
I doubt it.

Old 09-21-2009, 03:18 PM

3,468 posts, read 7,242,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
I doubt it.

Some times it depends on what they look like... just saying.

Old 09-22-2009, 11:17 AM

1,895 posts, read 5,901,814 times
Quote:
Your best bet would be to make the Harbor Cafe your favorite eating spot for a few days, ask the waitresses if they know any lobstermen who might take you out and leave those waitresses a good tip after you ask! Another option would be to ask the Harbor Master, Steve Johnson, for suggestions- his office sits right on the Stonington Pier. Even the town manager and/or clerk in the Stonington Town Office (night next to the Harbor Cafe, lol) might be able to help you.

Old 09-22-2009, 11:41 AM

10 posts, read 33,318 times
Thank you very much. And I know I showed my ignorance by writing "lobster fishermen" instead of lobstermen. I knew the former wasn't correct, but just couldn't think of the word. I have word-retrieving problems!! I bet the Harbor Cafe has great food too. Thanks again for your help.

Old 09-22-2009, 12:05 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,669,478 times
Quote:
Thank you very much. And I know I showed my ignorance by writing "lobster fishermen" instead of lobstermen. I knew the former wasn't correct, but just couldn't think of the word. I have word-retrieving problems!! I bet the Harbor Cafe has great food too. Thanks again for your help.
I don't know about Stonington but there are a few lobstermen around South Freeport who are willing to take someone out to show them how they fish (for a fee of course). Lobstermen fish just about every day (except Sunday in the summer)they get up early and come in late. After the first string or two of pots it may get kind of boring for you just sitting there watching the pots get hauled for the next several hours. Plus you'll need your sea legs too. Bobbing around in the waves with diesel exhaust blowing back at you for 4-5 hours will make you kind of queasy. I'm sure there must be a good video out that will show you how it's done.

Old 09-22-2009, 02:54 PM

642 posts, read 1,256,109 times
This guy has been a morning feature on Stephen King's radio station WKIT. I believe he takes folks out to tend trapsRent A Maine Lobster Trap
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine