Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2008, 08:25 PM

4,975 posts, read 11,692,521 times

Advertisements

Yikes! That was pretty awful! The Maine scenery was pretty though!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2008, 08:28 PM

2,059 posts, read 4,201,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
I'd swap my wife out for a few weeks!!!! I'm sure she feels the same way!
i wouldnt swap mine i got her traind just right.i dont want to go through that agine.

Old 10-17-2008, 10:06 PM

607 posts, read 2,367,398 times
Lovemaine...I just got done watching this reality show and I got to say from a CA. perspective it's hard to watch this california couple embarass themselves like that. Hopefully this is not a stereo type that the East has about us out here! Superficial, plastic out of control...That's why I live in the outskirts of major metros in CA...I can't take the show of this lifestyle. Oh well, how did you like the Maine couple?

Old 10-17-2008, 10:15 PM

1,093 posts, read 3,423,170 times
Yes, just watched this wife swap between Maine and California....

The fisherman in Maine is a step father who initially treated his step daughter like one of the "hands on deck", rather than a child and daughter. The mom from Maine surely had a new experience, and did help with the dad and daughter relationship and ended better...don't go for the dumpster diving, but what seems to float his boat... The family in California was in a word "spoiled"..what kids wanted they received, and spent money like it was their last day on earth. The mom from Maine helped show them another side of life...alot less TV...live in a cabin for a night, rough it...and spend time with your kids "without the HD wide screen TV"...what a concept...Overall this reality show is not my cup of tea, too much yelling around the kids....I enjoy ice road truckers.and First 48..,but most reality shows give the world a chance to see some wierd american families to say the least...

Old 10-18-2008, 02:58 AM

19,968 posts, read 30,200,655 times
vette, good post
yes, ive seen many weirdos on that show, one of my fav strange families was the ones, where they ate everything raw, believed they needed at much bacteria in thier bodies as possible, they ate raw eggs, raw meat. even chicken...
but mostly, you see one mother/wife from a conservative family ...that probly work wayy too much, or expect too much from thier kids (thier new "wifes' perspective) and then you see the whackos, on the other side, kids with no discipline, no expectations, deadbeat husband, house is a pig-pen.

as a tv show, you know most is either scripted, or edited to suit, however, it is interesting, to see the kids, and how they do mirror thier families, and expectations on them

Old 10-18-2008, 03:53 AM

4,112 posts, read 6,517,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
vette, good post
yes, ive seen many weirdos on that show, one of my fav strange families was the ones, where they ate everything raw, believed they needed at much bacteria in thier bodies as possible, they ate raw eggs, raw meat. even chicken...
but mostly, you see one mother/wife from a conservative family ...that probly work wayy too much, or expect too much from thier kids (thier new "wifes' perspective) and then you see the whackos, on the other side, kids with no discipline, no expectations, deadbeat husband, house is a pig-pen.

as a tv show, you know most is either scripted, or edited to suit, however, it is interesting, to see the kids, and how they do mirror thier families, and expectations on them
My friend's brother's family was on that very show. We have actually had many a discussion on well, we're not sure if we're getting the whole picture as it's all in the editing. Amazing race is a great example of this. Hats off to the editors for doing their job well as these shows have all been around for a while now.

Old 10-18-2008, 06:45 AM

2,356 posts, read 5,717,042 times
The show takes two weeks of video and breaks it down into a few scenes.....they dictate how they want each character to appear. You do not have to go to california to meet superficial people who are more concerned with their outward appearance more then they are "raising" their own children.

I did think it was funny how they tried to portray the main couple like they were completely unattached from the real world......THEY LIVE IN WELLS FOR CHRIST SAKE!!...I probably couldn't afford their house!

But I'd have to say that I had more respect for Both the women then the men....the so cal dude was the biggest crybaby I ever saw and Lobster BOB was an arrogent ass....oh well....thats tv for ya

Old 10-18-2008, 08:19 AM

4,975 posts, read 11,692,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by family first View Post
Lovemaine...I just got done watching this reality show and I got to say from a CA. perspective it's hard to watch this california couple embarass themselves like that. Hopefully this is not a stereo type that the East has about us out here! Superficial, plastic out of control...That's why I live in the outskirts of major metros in CA...I can't take the show of this lifestyle. Oh well, how did you like the Maine couple?
These families were polar opposites, which I guess makes the show more interesting. I was thinking the same thing about the Maine couple, as far as stereotyping people from Maine. I think viewers are smart enough to know that both cases are extremes. I'm sure most families in Maine don't rough it like this family did, and most folks in CA aren't that superficial. I felt sorry for the kids on both sides though. Growing up with a step-father, I could relate to the Maine girl. (Not that all step-dads are jerks, just some...) Anyway, watching this show made me realize that I'm definitely not missing anything by not watching reality shows...

Old 10-18-2008, 08:50 AM

43 posts, read 138,602 times
*gasp*

books and puzzles!! who dares do that to their children!!!???

TV only!! no learning allowed!! no spending time teaching/playing with your kids!! shopping only!!

gawd, that was painful to watch.

Old 10-18-2008, 12:52 PM

2,133 posts, read 5,874,924 times
We watched about 15 minutes and couldn't stand it anymore.

We've never watched Wife Swap prior to last night so we had nothing to compare it to, but I'm guessing it's probably always that bad?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
View detailed profiles of: