Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Maine: simpler life, online job, do childcare, adequate water supply, cost of heat, education system

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2008, 07:02 AM

375 posts, read 908,410 times

Advertisements

Wow! That seems so high!

I work my little rear off to earn enough for me and my kids, I tend to average about 65 hrs a week. working at home has made this much more manageable, though, so I'm fortunate. I don't know how you guys feel, but I think there is a lot more of this coming down the pike, no matter who wins!!

Thank you for the insight about homeschooling - I have been homeschooling for a year with my son, as he needs many, many hours of one on one work, and when I lived in FL, he was failing miserably. I am getting him more on line, but I would like for him to at least do 1/2 day in HS so he can get some social interaction and some sense of a regular school day.

What are the drawbacks of living there from a teen perspective? I would think they would just depend on where you live, but the same complaints that teens have no matter where you live = that there's "nothing to do." Funny how the older you get, nothing to do sounds better and better!

For the suggestion of NC, I did check out Charlotte, fell in love with WNC, but it is changing and growing so quickly, I shudder to think of how crowded it will be in the future, and I didn't like the widening gap between have/have not's that seems to be occuring in WNC IMO. I originally had thought I would move to that area, as the housing costs were relatively reasonable and they had warmer weather.

You know how it is, you try to decide on one area, and then you start analyzing it too much, and you realize that no matter where you live, there are good and bad things. Like I thought FL was so bad, but now I realize that they did have a lot to offer in terms of flexible schooling options. So, for now, I am at my mother's in VA, driving her nuts, while I try to decide where to move (or move back to).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2008, 07:10 AM

1,220 posts, read 3,917,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rachaelb View Post
Hi there!

I have been lurking on the Maine board for some time, and the changes in the economy as well as scary illegal immigration issues in the west (drug cartel madness) are really pushing me to decide.

I am considering moving to Maine in order to really live a simpler life, with 2 kids, on my own, but with a job that I can do online. I do not make a lot of money, but plan to do childcare in my house if needed to supplement my income. The pros of Maine seem to center around the ability of Mainers to survive and to work together in a crisis, as well as a slower pace of life, less crime, an adequate water supply, the ability to be around like minded people in the coming economic storm. My concerns are the cost of heat, ability to make friends for my special needs teen, and the education system. I do rely on state subsidized healthcare for the kids, but it seems as if Maine has a program as well.

I grew up vacationing in Maine over the summer, and my grandparents lived in Maine for most of their lives, so I am somewhat familiar with Maine itself. I am trying to compare/contrast Colorado with Maine. I originally had considered more southern states, but there are issues there with the real severe changes happening in have/have not's and crime that made me decide against those.

What are your thoughts on making such a radical change? Do any of you have any suggestions in terms of areas that aren't as isolated and have lots of young families and teens? I have heard great things about Bangor, any other ideas?

Thanks for any input!!
If I understand it you are writing from Melborne Beach, Florida. You are thinking about moving to Maine or to Colorado.

For what it is worth, I think you need to think carefully about your real needs and how you think they are going to be met by moving to either state, but Maine in particular may present you with a very hostile situation. No, not because of the nature of the people in Maine, but because of what Maine is and is NOT.

Melborne Beach is located in Brevard County. The population of Brevard County is roughly 550,000. That is almost twice the population of the entire state of Maine.

What kind and size of economy do you think can be supported by so few people scattered over a large area?

What you will find in Maine is that everything that you now take for granted where you are now, will be at least five times more difficult to obtain, get to, or acquire than it is in Florida. It is likely that ALL goods and services will be at least 20% MORE expensive than those goods and services are in Florida. Imagine that every time you have forgotten to buy milk, you will need to drive five miles each way to the nearest store....and how much will just the gasoline cost add to the price of milk. (Oh, and milk is not cheap here, either!)

And make no mistake: Maine has a small population scattered about a very large (for the northeast) state. But Maine also has ALL of the same social problems that ALL other parts of the country have.

There is no magic in Maine, and for a single woman juggling children, one of which is a "special needs" child, no matter how green the grass may seem, life will be at least as tough here as you imagine it might be anywhere else.

Old 10-19-2008, 02:30 PM

7,395 posts, read 13,039,916 times
Rachael, I think it's a big change, and Lion has some wonderful points to consider. Is there any way you could visit? I'm partial to the Bangor area, so I think with what you've mentioned it's a great place to start. I've been a single mom with four kids, and I couldn't have done it without the support of my friends, I know how important that is. Do as much research as you can, and then visit!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine