Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2008, 05:12 PM

37,464 posts, read 61,388,499 times

Advertisements

I do not think that we have changed our spending at all.

We did change in a few ways when I first retired, but not since then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2008, 06:25 PM

2,133 posts, read 5,876,806 times
We really haven't changed our spending all that much, but we aren't frivolous with money anyway.

The one area where I will not compromise is on the quality of our food. I refuse to downgrade on that. So as a result, our grocery bill for just the 2 of us as crept up approx $140 per week. I don't purchase any packaged convenience foods as I cook 100% of our meals from scratch. They are healthier, less expensive and taste better.

Our here we heat with natural gas and because we have a small house, our monthly bill which includes our electricity as well is just $108. Can't complain about that at all.

Our cable/internet/digital phone is bundled together at $138 a month. Expensive but we watch a lot of TV so it's worth it to us, and we aren't wasting $20 a pop going to see a movie that we rarely like afterwards.

We only have 1 car payment and our house payment is well within our self-imposed budget.

Times like this it really pays to be cheap

Old 10-18-2008, 07:42 PM

2,059 posts, read 4,202,876 times
my spending hasnt changed to mutch other.i didnt buy the new 4 wheeler i wanted this year.but i will ride my old one and buy a new one next year.

Old 10-19-2008, 06:20 AM

502 posts, read 1,735,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs1885 View Post
Actually, I'm doing all I can to stimulate the economy and spending what we safely can. I've upped the amount of money from each check that I put into my retirement account. I hear there's a great sale going on in the stock market. I'm not going to put us in debt or leave us broke or homeless, but cutting back is the last thing the ecomony needs right now.
You are so right. Spending will help, but people don't want to overdo it.

We spent another day riding and saw many people out and about. people certainly aren't just sitting at home doing nothing.

Old 10-19-2008, 07:12 AM

7,395 posts, read 13,100,311 times
I'm definitely a person who believes that Mainers weather these storms a little better than some of the other areas. We're pretty frugal here, but our expenses are higher this year on some fronts. We have a daughter in college, a son who is a senior in high school and newly driving, a daughter who will be taking driver's ed this year--so these are new expenses for us, and while initially they seem small, they have cut into what we normally are tucking away.

Old 10-19-2008, 07:34 AM

105 posts, read 286,750 times
We've cut back some. We used to just take drives on the weekends, and we don't do that anymore. When we go to town we generally will take the car versus the SUV to save on gas. We eat at home more often. I was at LL Bean yesterday and it was very busy. But I'm not going to worry too much, I buy what we need, and I'm sure my husband would say "and then some".

Old 10-19-2008, 12:05 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,487,112 times
We're "getting ready to get ready" to cut back. In line at the supermarket yesterday, I heard the cashier talking with the bagger, something to the effect that "it's getting busier lately, don't you think?". We do still eat out, infrequently, but find that the pricier establishments now have no lines and we are seated right away. McDonald's and Wal-Mart are doing well here; other places not so well.

My next-door neighbor filled his oil tank yesterday for $2.59 per gallon, at least 125 gals and cash on the barrelhead. I recall all those posts earlier in the summer about wanting to 'lock in' at $4 per. Also recall how disgusted I was to pay $3.48 to fill my own tank last March; now I'm doubly-disgusted because I should have waited till now!

Could-a - would-a - should-a! Ah well, easy come, easy go!

Old 10-19-2008, 05:50 PM

5,054 posts, read 12,421,956 times
So, I have this fantasy weekly budget built into my Quicken register of $100. That is supposed to buy groceries, paper goods & incidentals for the week. My ACTUAL spending on those expenses is running more like $900 a month on average. Talk about WAY over budget!!! And when I look at that $500 monthly budget overage over the next 4 months until will move.............we're losing $2000 of our moving money! That's not acceptable.

So........I've got to get that expense down a LOT. My mother tells me she only spends about $50 a week to feed 4 big people, so I shouldn't be spending what I am to feed 2 big people and 3 little people. Our biggest single item expense has been milk for the last year. I can't do anymore about that - I'm already rationing the kids somewhat to their 3 cups a day. They need their milk, though. And we eat healthy foods. We eat lots of veggies, fruits, whole grain cereals and multi-grain pastas, etc. I also shop the sale papers every week and stock when I can.

Can you guys share some cost cutting practices you use? It appears I really need the help to keep my bank account from bleeding away our moving money.

Old 10-19-2008, 06:07 PM

502 posts, read 1,735,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcarim View Post
So........I've got to get that expense down a LOT. My mother tells me she only spends about $50 a week to feed 4 big people, so I shouldn't be spending what I am to feed 2 big people and 3 little people. Our biggest single item expense has been milk for the last year. I can't do anymore about that - I'm already rationing the kids somewhat to their 3 cups a day. They need their milk, though. And we eat healthy foods. We eat lots of veggies, fruits, whole grain cereals and multi-grain pastas, etc. I also shop the sale papers every week and stock when I can.

Can you guys share some cost cutting practices you use? It appears I really need the help to keep my bank account from bleeding away our moving money.
I too would love to hear how people can eat on so little money. Someone earlier posted the spend about $1/day - which personally I think is BS. $50/week for 4 people? Not unless you are raising your own food.

Old 10-19-2008, 06:28 PM

2,059 posts, read 4,202,876 times
ok this thred has worne me down,so i must confess.yes i have changed my spending habits.i dont go to the bar as mutch becouse when i drink i like to leave the bar and go to the strip clubs and give dollar bills to the dancin ladys that smile at me and say im just doing this to pay for school i wana be a nurse or a doctor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine