Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2008, 09:31 AM

53 posts, read 93,913 times

Advertisements

Hi Folks,
Our trip didn't exactly go as planned. Car trouble Sat. delayed our start. I fixed that Sat. afternoon/early evening. So we planned on leaving Sun. morning, right? Wrooonnnng! While I was fixing the car, my wife was doing some last minute (potential) property searching on the net and picked up a major virus which prevented us from doing anything on the computer, including accessing all the accumulated data on the properties in which, we were interested! Sooo, Sun. afternoon we were finally on the road. We got into Bangor around 9 p.m. We had originally planned on camping, but decided because of the late start to take the (I hate this) motel route. We had discount coupons (now I now why they give discounts) for a national (no names mentioned) chain. We checked in, went to our room and promptly noticed that the "chain" portion of the chain lock was missing and the door at some point, had been forced open. Back to the office for a different room, ignoring the obviously obnoxious clerk, being upset at having to do ALL that extra work. As I walk towards the door, he calls after me in an obviously sarcastic voice, "Be safe!". I hesitated mid stride, decided to take the high road and kept walking. The "new" room had a "functional chain lock", but was of a level of "cleanliness" in which, I would hesitate to let the pooch stay. The phone rings. The desk clerk wants to know if all is acceptable. My wife says "Actually, we're going to be leaving". "PERFECT!" comes the reply from the other end of the phone. By this time, we're running two days late, have had nothing but problems, my traditionally low tolerance for rude and obnoxious people is way over my limit and I'm just aching for this guy to give me an excuse to crawl over the counter after him. I take a deep breath and we both go into the office. He has our paperwork ready and refrains from any further sarcasm. I say, "Sorry for your trouble" or something to that effect (the most civil thing I could muster at the moment) and we hightail it to a different hotel, right up the road, $30 more and all is right with the world again. Verifying that "You get what you pay for" holds a certain amount of truth.
Congratulations, if you held on this long, read through my whining and negativity and are still reading. I've vented, realize that ***holes are everywhere, have put him behind me and am moving on.
In contrast to our rough start, we met NMLM on Mon. In a flash, the misery of the two previous days left me and we were enveloped by the "Maine" I had envisioned. We spent a good portion of what was left of the day speaking to and viewing a couple properties with him. What a breath of fresh air! He was pleasant, patient and knowledgable about not only his business, but the area in general, the people, building codes, construction, etc. He was truly a wealth of information, a pleasure to meet and I would recommend that anyone planning a real estate venture of any sort, touch base with him. We loved the area as well. Employment may be an issue, but we've really just begun to investigate the area and options. We left his company feeling refreshed and renewed and eagerly discussing plans and possibilities.
We headed north from there on the back roads, loving the feeling of spaciousness and fantasizing of our own place, hopefully to become a reality in the not to distant future. Mon. night found us in Presque Isle, an area with which we were somewhat familiar, having done some investigating there on a previous trip.
Tues. morning was cloudy and rainy, but it didn't faze me a bit. My spirits were high, knowing that somewhere in this vast state, lay the perfect property for us. We had originally intended to head to Eagle Lake and Fort Kent to see what the northern most points had to offer, but time was now a factor because of our late start. We took the back roads south, enjoying every minute of the views and small towns. Once it got dark, we picked up 95 and headed home. As we crossed the border and left Maine behind, my heart sank a little, like it does when it comes time to leave a good friend or family member you've been visiting. It was balanced by the thought that someday, soon, I'll be crossing the border in the opposite direction driving a moving van!
Thanks to one and all, my soon to be "neighbors".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2008, 09:37 AM

5,054 posts, read 12,421,138 times
Just proves that life is life, and cheap hotels are cheap hotels nomatter where you are! But it sounds like your trip shaped up to be what you'd hoped it would be. Glad you enjoyed yourself!

Old 10-30-2008, 09:56 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,679,925 times
Pleased to meet you folks and thanks for the kudos. I have met several potential buyers without realizing I had read their stuff on this site. They seem to enjoy telling me at the end of our visit. "Oh, by the way, I'm so and so on the Maine forum." I treat everybody the same, but it would be helpful to know at the outset.

Old 10-30-2008, 10:19 AM

1,973 posts, read 5,223,779 times
Kudos to you NMLM!

Old 10-31-2008, 04:50 PM

454 posts, read 886,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanashunkaha View Post
In contrast to our rough start, we met NMLM on Mon. In a flash, the misery of the two previous days left me and we were enveloped by the "Maine" I had envisioned. We spent a good portion of what was left of the day speaking to and viewing a couple properties with him. What a breath of fresh air! He was pleasant, patient and knowledgable about not only his business, but the area in general, the people, building codes, construction, etc. He was truly a wealth of information, a pleasure to meet....
Sounds like you've discovered what many of us here figured out a while ago...NMLM is a state treasure!

I'm glad the trip turned around...so often a bad start can taint a trip...I guess the exception is when you're heading to Maine

Old 11-01-2008, 04:58 AM

4,112 posts, read 6,519,110 times
Glad your trip was able to happen. Kudos to NMLM for rescuing it!!!

Old 11-05-2013, 05:21 AM

3,440 posts, read 6,546,706 times
I would love to know if the origanal poster ever did buy land and move to Maine. He posted back in 2008 and we never heard anymore.

Old 11-05-2013, 05:33 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,679,925 times
They bought a 52 acre parcel and built a small camp which I check on from time to time.

Old 11-07-2013, 08:27 PM

3,925 posts, read 4,129,053 times
That's so neat to hear, NMLM. Sort of brought tears to my eyes.

It was 2007 when we signed the contract and 2008 when we finally settled for our property.

But it was almost four long road block filled years before we managed to get up here. Selling property down south in the middle of the worst recession in 30 years was not easy to say the least.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine